A website stealing our subs and making money out of it

Don’t worry too much. We’re all trying to find ways to make things better.

I think the true reason for -almost- unlimited access (much more than viki pass) is to be able to work on all new shows. It’s reason enough.

2 Likes

In that case, they’d better not ask volunteers to do it! There is a huge gap between volunteering for our fellow viewers and offering free labour for the benefit of a paying few!

I wouldn’t translate a single line.

I’m putting up with Viki making money from our contributions because I know that people can also enjoy free content. Do you think that the free Viki Pass or the QC status equals in pay the amount of hours it takes to sub/seg?

If Viki is losing customers, it’s more likely because of their content (or lack of it) and their customer service.

5 Likes

I was going to write the same thing that irmar and christina wrote. Viki should NOT use our free labor to get paid membership. I translate Korean dramas for viewers who love k-dramas, but can’t understand the language well enough. I do NOT work for Viki and do it for Viki! I give my free service and people should be able to enjoy it without having to pay for it.

I am one of those few people who actually don’t even mind other sites taking my subs to be shown at other sites so more viewers can watch and enjoy it. Like I said, I do it for viewers, not for Viki. Having said that, I’m certainly not promoting illegal sites who pirate the shows without license. I am only speaking about my own subs, not the sub for the entire show, which is a result of a team work, as my team members feels differently about their subs being stolen.

Can you imagine how much more entitled people will feel and demand for subtitles since they PAID for it, if Viki starts adding subtitles as one of the Viki Pass benefits?! That’s the day that I’ll stop subbing for sure!

The reason Viki gives credit for Viki Pass for QCs is so that we can continue to work for free and translate the dramas, which in turn makes profit to them. I know Viki Pass doesn’t guarantee subtitles, but in reality, there will be very few members (not enough to sustain the business) if there are no subtitles at all.

Anyway, this is just my own opinion as a volunteer here.

5 Likes

Although this is a very possible outcome, I like to believe that the opposite will happen.

People were cutting some slack to Viki and other sites like Viki, because they were willing to watch their favorite shows, even with sub-standard segments and subtitles, just to be able to see the ending.

Lately a lot more people of vastly diverse backgrounds are attracted to asian drama and movies. The competition is fierce (and dirty) and viewers are no longer happy with bot translations. The fake contributors will be getting flagged more ofen and more systematically. At some point, Viki will have to pay attention.

4 Likes

I saw website paying people to steal and translate Viki’s English subs to other languages.
Proof: http://as2tv.com/make-money/
They even write that they produced the drama/movie. And have a subscription like Viki Pass to watch without ads, which costs $190 per year. Imagine all the $190 they get. If Viki could get that much we will have all the new dramas, without competing with the other website. (Not saying that Viki should charge us $190)
Proof: http://as2tv.com/userpro/

It just infuriates me. They did not buy the license for shows or even produce their own subs. Viki should do something that doesn’t allow other to easily steal their subs.

1 Like

Who would want to pay the double for the same service? This, in a market sense, makes no sense.

1 Like

Maybe some who are in a region with less licenses …?

Yes, who knows where this site is. (Too lazy to go and check).

the only reason I have had to watch on the more illegal sites is that so many dramas can’t be viewed in my region even though I have a pass due to licensing issues. There have been three major dramas I couldn’t watch. I think most people are aware that certain sites use snatched subtitles from legal sites. On one drama I checked and the illegal site had the same missing sub areas as the one on Viki

3 Likes

A pass? The Viki Pass?

This pass is first for watching videos in HD (1080) and add-free.
Second point is for shows that are actually licensed in your area but would be accessible later because of whatever agreement with the license holder, but granting earlier access to Viki Pass holder.

At least that is what I think.

1 Like

I see here and there that viki asks the copyright dmaa or whatever it’s named, I stumbled over such list some months ago when looking for more info about a drama… and it lists some streaming sites that the viki complaint has been filed against… it’s just most likely a long process…

2 Likes

As @simi11 said, it’s a long process. Usually, you can complain to the admin of the website saying that it’s illegal to copy work like that. Also, if they don’t do anything about it, the hosting company of the site will probably take action because they don’t want any legality against them.

To them they would pay, since they get the Arabic subs that might not be on Viki.