Viki

About editing dramas

Why are you so heavily injured? This was a subtitle I saw in a drama I was watching, and I ask myself, Why can’t they just write: Why are you so badly (severely) injured?

I assume they pick the first word they find because heavily relates to weight so is clearly not the right word in the sentence.

Another one: Is the funeral all done? Who doesn’t know the proper word is Are the funeral service over?

Is the funeral all done? It sounded to me like it was been COOKED and it was no longer raw.

I always suggest they use of the thesaurus

Examples of heavily in a Sentence
He relies heavily on his wife for advice.
These artists borrow heavily from Picasso.

heavily adverb
heavi·​ly | \ ˈhe-və-lē
Kids Definition of heavily ****(Is easier if one is not too proficient in English to use the section for kids)
1 : with or as if with weight
Bear down heavily on your pen.
2 : in a slow and difficult way
He’s breathing heavily.
3 : very much
The house was heavily damaged.

Synonyms & Antonyms for heavily
Synonyms

achingly, almighty, archly, awful, awfully(***, badly,) beastly, blisteringly, bone, colossally, corking, cracking, damn, damned, dang, deadly, desperately, eminently, enormously, especially, ever, exceedingly (also exceeding), extra, extremely, fabulously

https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus

When we volunteer in a drama sometimes there is no time to be going back and forth the Thesaurus, but if you have the time with other slower pace drama, it pays in the long run.

Making some suggestion has no purpose to offend anyone. I hope my suggestion here helps.

I have seen more bad subtitles in dramas. So I will like to add and correct them to help others not to keep making the same mistakes.

I’ll put out the car. (the driver tells his boss)

I’ll bring out the car.

OR

I’ll get the car.

THE FUNNIEST ONE IN A CHINESE DRAMA?

The brother needed a big money transplant (really hahahahaha)

The brother needs a big amount of money loan.

No, I don’t believe this should be. (Incomplete sentence)

Uncategorizable.
not able to be put into a defined category or class impossible to categorize

They added this word in a sentence that could have been simplified as; I don’t know what to call this.

Using big words is the norm by subbers here at viki but, have you heard about sometimes less is more?

What I mean is: it pays to use simpler words in the subtitles.

Some subbers used Hindeded instead of tempted. Why? Some ppl. get away with a lot here at viki. hinder

[verb]

hin·​der | \ ˈhin-dər \

hindered; hindering\ ˈhin-​d(ə-​)riŋ \

Definition of hinder

(Entry 1 of 2)

transitive verb

1 to make slow or difficult the progress of HAMPERTheir journey was hindered by snow and high winds.economic growth hindered by sanctions

2 to hold back PREVENT, CHECKHis financial troubles hindered him from buying a home.

The subtitle in question needed the word tempted in the sentence but for unknown reasons to me, they used the word: hindered.

They use reckless instead of careless that makes more sense in the sentence.

They added a subtitle in Cunning Single Lady as; I had better go.

instead of: Is best if I leave (now).

The worst one: DIG IN instead of JUST saying EAT.

What is that you had to tell me. (incomplete sentence and past tense)

What is it, that you have to tell me?

THE GRAMMY FOR THIS SUBS:

YOU CAN’T FAULT THEM.
open to blame RESPONSIBLEyou were really at fault

YOU CAN’T [BLAME] THEM. (DON’T USE FAULT IT MAKES NO SENSE YOU MUST USE BLAME.

I’M EAT UP WITH WORRY. REALLY??? [FOUND THIS SUBS IN GU FAMILY BOOK DRAMA]
I’M SICK WITH WORRY. (COMMONLY USED IN A SENTENCE)

HOW DO YOU MEAN? instead of writing: WHAT DO YOU MEAN?

your post reminds me to the “misheard” videos, especially the money transplant is funny

but I guess people won’t see it here.

The post itself, It has been seen 153 times and I know ‘‘words’’ spread fast around here. I was suppose to post it somewhere else but I feel here I can reach out to more people to make them aware of what{s going on in the subs.