Viki

About editing dramas

Why are you so heavily injured? This was a subtitle I saw in a drama I was watching, and I ask myself, Why can’t they just write: Why are you so badly (severely) injured?

I assume they pick the first word they find because heavily relates to weight so is clearly not the right word in the sentence.

Another one: Is the funeral all done? Who doesn’t know the proper word is Are the funeral service over?

Is the funeral all done? It sounded to me like it was been COOKED and it was no longer raw.

I always suggest they use of the thesaurus

Examples of heavily in a Sentence
He relies heavily on his wife for advice.
These artists borrow heavily from Picasso.

heavily adverb
heavi·​ly | \ ˈhe-və-lē
Kids Definition of heavily ****(Is easier if one is not too proficient in English to use the section for kids)
1 : with or as if with weight
Bear down heavily on your pen.
2 : in a slow and difficult way
He’s breathing heavily.
3 : very much
The house was heavily damaged.

Synonyms & Antonyms for heavily
Synonyms

achingly, almighty, archly, awful, awfully(***, badly,) beastly, blisteringly, bone, colossally, corking, cracking, damn, damned, dang, deadly, desperately, eminently, enormously, especially, ever, exceedingly (also exceeding), extra, extremely, fabulously

https://www.merriam-webster.com/thesaurus

When we volunteer in a drama sometimes there is no time to be going back and forth the Thesaurus, but if you have the time with other slower pace drama, it pays in the long run.

Making some suggestion has no purpose to offend anyone. I hope my suggestion here helps.

I have seen more bad subtitles in dramas. So I will like to add and correct them to help others not to keep making the same mistakes.

I’ll put out the car. (the driver tells his boss)

I’ll bring out the car.

OR

I’ll get the car.

THE FUNNIEST ONE IN A CHINESE DRAMA?

The brother needed a big money transplant (really hahahahaha)

The brother needs a big amount of money loan.

No, I don’t believe this should be. (Incomplete sentence)

Uncategorizable.
not able to be put into a defined category or class impossible to categorize

They added this word in a sentence that could have been simplified as; I don’t know what to call this.

Using big words is the norm by subbers here at viki but, have you heard about sometimes less is more?

What I mean is: it pays to use simpler words in the subtitles.

Some subbers used Hindeded instead of tempted. Why? Some ppl. get away with a lot here at viki. hinder

[verb]

hin·​der | \ ˈhin-dər \

hindered; hindering\ ˈhin-​d(ə-​)riŋ \

Definition of hinder

(Entry 1 of 2)

transitive verb

1 to make slow or difficult the progress of HAMPERTheir journey was hindered by snow and high winds.economic growth hindered by sanctions

2 to hold back PREVENT, CHECKHis financial troubles hindered him from buying a home.

The subtitle in question needed the word tempted in the sentence but for unknown reasons to me, they used the word: hindered.

They use reckless instead of careless that makes more sense in the sentence.

They added a subtitle in Cunning Single Lady as; I had better go.

instead of: Is best if I leave (now).

The worst one: DIG IN instead of JUST saying EAT.

What is that you had to tell me. (incomplete sentence and past tense)

What is it, that you have to tell me?

THE GRAMMY FOR THIS SUBS:

YOU CAN’T FAULT THEM.
open to blame RESPONSIBLEyou were really at fault

YOU CAN’T [BLAME] THEM. (DON’T USE FAULT IT MAKES NO SENSE YOU MUST USE BLAME.

I’M EAT UP WITH WORRY. REALLY??? [FOUND THIS SUBS IN GU FAMILY BOOK DRAMA]
I’M SICK WITH WORRY. (COMMONLY USED IN A SENTENCE)

HOW DO YOU MEAN? instead of writing: WHAT DO YOU MEAN?

your post reminds me to the “misheard” videos, especially the money transplant is funny

but I guess people won’t see it here.

The post itself, It has been seen 153 times and I know ‘‘words’’ spread fast around here. I was suppose to post it somewhere else but I feel here I can reach out to more people to make them aware of what{s going on in the subs.

First, thank you for taking the time to express your views and concerns about subtitles on VIKI. Because this is also a concern of mine as well, I wanted to contribute my thoughts.

Sometimes, subtitles are wrong. Subtitles are completed by volunteers. Not all are native speakers of the languages they translate. The keyword here: translate. As we are translating from a base language into a target language. We are not interpreting, which takes cultural references, colloquialisms, slang, and such into consideration of meaning. That being said, I wanted to touch on the specific examples used to further the conversation.

“No, I don’t believe this should be.”

This is a complete, complex sentence. Here is the diagram.

“No” is a complete thought. The joined sentence offers more detail through grammatical pause and continuity of thought.

“I’ll bring out the car.” Vehicles parked in garages need to brought out to be driven. Perhaps this is left-over historical use from when horses needed to be brought out from the barn? Regardless, without context, it is a valid statement.

“Dig in” This one may need a bit of reference but is completely valid. In many cultures, sharing food is a way of building on relationships. Sometimes formal gatherings are punctuated with meals. Saying “dig in” means on some levels, leave the formality aside and enjoy the food wholeheartedly.

“reckless” vs "careless - These are similar in meaning but require context as one can be careless (absent-minded) without being reckless (having blatant disregard).

“Money transplant” Your comment is valid in so much as the brother was taking a loan and not transferring it from a separate line of income… So for transfer/transplant, a simple mistake; tends to happen with humans.

Another one of those human mistakes would be “I’m eat up with worry.” Tense and conjugation are difficult for most native speakers of the English language. Moreover, some languages, structurally, use modifiers that tell time and action. For example:

Chinese word 吃(chī) is to eat.

• 我会吃 (Wǒ huì chī) - I can eat.
  • 我会 吃了 (Wǒ huì chīle) - I will eat.
  • 正在吃 (Zhèngzài chī) - I am eating.
  • 我吃了(Wǒ chīle) - I ate.
  • 我被吃掉了(Wǒ bèi chī le) - I was eaten

Do you see the commonality? The verb 吃 (chī), does not change through action. So one can see how this may make translating a bit difficult. Allowances should be given to those who, voluntarily, subtitle in secondary, tertiary, and quaternary languages.

“how do you mean” vs “what do you mean” - Have distinct meanings. “What do you mean?” is what is the meaning of the words used. And “how do you mean?” is the intent you are trying to convey.

Example: My points are ignorant.
“What do you mean?” - My points lack knowledge of the subject matter.
“How do you mean?” - My points showed a narrow view of opinion on the subject matter.

Finally, “You can’t fault them.” Blame can be accepted without fault. No matter how harsh your statements may have been taken, I understand that you were trying to bring attention to an ongoing issue that is an opportunity for improvement on the VIKI platform. Therefore, I cannot fault you for insult, as you were solely speaking your mind.

I would love to debate other translations that you may come across. Since people have different experiences, it directly impacts their use of language. Being able to discuss language brings opportunities for better understandings; just as your post brought about thought and discussion. Hope there’s more.

Thanks again!

Fyre

Hi…fyrerayne

About the car: the subtitle written in the Chinese drama was: I’ll put out the car. I wrote that it should be, ‘‘I’ll bring out the car.’’

I wrote this thread about 7 months ago because I was shocked to see so many mistakes in the subs lately, and very little to no editing done to some of the drama’s subtitles.

No matter how difficult a language is to translate, they need to put more effort into editing the subtitles especially if they have a Chief Editor, English editor and so many people working in that team.

@ [fyrerayne
[I understand that you were trying to bring attention to an ongoing issue that is an opportunity for improvement on the VIKI platform. Therefore, I cannot fault you for insult, as you were solely speaking your mind.]

I wasn’t speaking my mind sorry if it felt that way to you: I was trying to get the attention to this site staff, of what’s going on here for a long while now, and that they need make sure the ppl. in those teams in charge of editing put more effort into doing just that.

Quote. Unquote/This summarize my main purpose in writing this thread: not insulting but pleading that more editing has to be done in the dramas, and also I’m not trying to make this a debate but an awareness of the facts since I wrote the subtitles as I saw them in the drama.

I wrote @sonmachinima
‘‘The post itself, It has been seen 153 times and I know ‘‘words’’ spread fast around here. I was suppose to post it somewhere else but I feel here I can reach out to more people to make them aware of what’s going on with the subs.’’

As you can see, I’m reaching out to (others) and experts like you, that gives me hope that the issue is taken into account and something will be done about it soon.

Thank you so much for responding to this thread in a very respectful manner. I will like to add that my goal was never to personally insult or offend anyone, and I even wrote this : ‘‘Making some suggestion has no purpose to offend anyone. I hope my suggestion here helps’’ (not that I think it will help, just that I hope it does help).

Best regards,

Wanda

There are also wrong sentences (translations) and opposite translations (to the origin version/meaning).

One could write something in different ways while keeping the origin meaning/content but there are several cases when it is not about some kind of different nuance in expression but instead of completely wrong meaning/s.

For example something like this (it is a fictional example to show what I mean):

I like chocolate.
I don’t like chocolate.

Often those opposite meaning fails contain a “do” or “do not” sentence. Context wise both could be said since a character in a story may or may not “like” something but that drives the meaning to different points. It can mess up a whole scene.

Then there are also sentences that just don’t make much sense while reading and often it is because they are unable to provide the correct expression of the origin version.

Usually, when something is really hard to translate from English into my native language it is not because of a lack of English knowledge (what I first thought) but because of a wrong expression within the English sentences.