Another question about our actors & actresses

when they pick & choose a certain story, they play something they don’t usually play, could say a murderer, thief, bad guy etc. does that affect their popularity?

this one drama I watched , these guys, ( almost 20 years for this one)don’t look as it affected them at all. but still asking.

2 Likes

Some said in interviews certain roles/genres affect their careers but you can’t say it in general for everyone; maybe they don’t even know it before they do it.

2 Likes

I know that romcoms are the most popular among the Korean audience, so people acting in those often get very popular. I don’t think acting as a villain would make them less popular. Look at Namgoong Min!

2 Likes

oh yeah! Namgong Min!! he can about play anything. yes I see what you mean!

2 Likes

Some (maybe even a lot of) actors specifically enjoy playing a bad person, cause it often takes more advanced acting skills than playing a compliant person and it also (hopefully) is a role that stands further from who they are in real life.

Of course there are some people in the audience who cannot distinguish between the actor and the character that he/she plays and those people might start to dislike the actor. But I think most people are wiser than that.

2 Likes

yes there is a couple of actresses that we love to hate, and they are awsome actresses, still love watching them.

1 Like

I suddenly have to think of an actor who’s not even Asian, but whom I never saw in a role as a good person (or at least I don’t remember it): Billy Drago. I know him mostly as “The Demon Of Fear” from Charmed (the old version), but I’ve occasionally seen him in some other series or movies as well and even if he looked different, I would always recognize him by his creepy voice.

1 Like

oh my goodness! yes! the creepy voice!!

1 Like

Xiao Zhan briefly mentions an actress playing a villain here (and how he admired her for it):

1 Like

if we write to them will they answer, I am sure they have millions of fans, so how do they do that? Ghost writers maybe? I would love to write occasionally but am I silly to want for them to answer?

Just do it. You have no quarantee of an answer, but who knows? They might also be bored at home these days and be happy with a message. Though not all of them have great English skills …

1 Like

You know what? with the lock down they have all the time of the world and I bet, they will answer some of the fan’s letter. But it will be like playing Lotto, one in a million.

By the way, I always say that the real actor/actress is the one that plays a mean evil role and makes you hate them. Then, they turn around and play a good role and they make you love them. It takes a lot more energy to play an evil character.

3 Likes

so where do we go to find the addresses, oh I think I do remember! I look them up and usually they have a link with their picture and info, and can send a message to them. I’d like to give it a try, English or not!

2 Likes