Are the subtitle files available for download?

I was wondering if the subtitle files, which I think are CC-BY-NC-ND, are downloadable anywhere. The learn option (double subtitles) in the player is great, but I wanted to get a hold of the subtitle files (in my case, for Chinese) so that I can go over grammar, make vocab lists and so on.

Officially, no.
There was a laborious way involving Developer tools, XML docs and “timedtext?” but I don’t know if it still works.
And of course there is downsub, which also works with Kocowa, Drive, VIU, Facebook, Naver, OnDemandKorea, VLive.

Thanks. That’s a pity. The Downsub site seems a bit dodgy, so probably not for me. Is it worth making a request to the Viki powers that be to consider a download site, do you think?

What do you mean dodgy? It’s been working perfectly for years.
Of course, suit your preference.
I don’t think Viki powers would be interested, because it could lead to piracy. (Of course, pirate sites are stealing our subs as it is, for them it’s no problem whatsoever).

No offence, but if I click the Viki link here it takes me to a site called Busbud, where I can apparently book bus tickets. If that’s been hijacked, what else has been, especially since I’m invited to install a Chrome app to read the subtitles …

I’ll have another think about contacting someone in Viki.

Thanks anyway.

Wait, if you click the link where?

At the bottom of the downsub.com page, there is a set of links (labelled “Supported Sites”). If I click on ViKi there, I get taken, after an intermediate site (!), to BusBud.

Ehm, no. I just went there. It took me right to Viki’s main page. And so did all the other links, they take to their respective sites. I didn’t visit all of them but by hovering the mouse over the link I could see the address on the bottom left corner of my browser.

I am wondering what happened to you…?

No idea. It may be a region-specific thing, ie some server somewhere is misbehaving.

Nowadays I keep all the subtitles of the projects I’m in on Google sheets. It’s super easy, just two-three clicks.