Basic words or sentences in your language

I’m gonna add some hungarian phrases: :smile:

Hello! = Szia!
Thank you! = Köszönöm!
You’re welcome! = Szívesen!
Hogy are you? = Hogy vagy?
I’m hungry. = Éhes vagyok.
What’s your name? = Hogy hívnak?
My name is Bettina. = A nevem Bettina. / Bettinának hívnak.
Nice to meet you. = Örülök, hogy megismertelek!
I’m 27 years old. = 27 éves vagyok.
I’m girl/boy. = Lány/fiú vagyok.
I love you. = Szeretlek.
Yes = Igen
No = Nem
Good Morning! = Jó reggelt!
Good Evening! = Jó éjt!
We also have a “Good Day!” phrase, you say it at daytime, and it’s: Jó napot!
I’m crazy. = Őrült vagyok.
I love asian dramas. = Imádom az ázsiai sorozatokat.
I’m a kpop fan. = Kpop rajongó vagyok.

I knew romanian had some words which were from latin and look like other Romance languages but it’s curious how “my name is” is exactly the same as Sardinian (maybe it’s pronounced a bit different, idk).

We can say it “numele meu est / este (depends on which zone the speaker is from) morico” but also “me llamo morico” (as spanish, but the LL is pronounced L not [ʎ])

1 Like

Hey, glad to know that. I saw that Sardinian and Romanian have a similarity of 74%!
I know that Latin is our mutual ancestor when it comes to language and although Romania is surrounded by Slavic countries, it is a Romance speaking country. Romania (at that time, Dacia) was occcupied by the Roman Empire, thus we became a Latin speaking country.

Also, if you want to hear how we pronounce “Numele meu este…”, you can use Text-to-Speech, I guess.

2 Likes

Jamaican
Hello: What a gwaan
Cool, great, awesome: Irie
Hello in the evening: Goodnight (we say it to acknowledge someone not as a reference to goodbye)
Eat: Nyam
Respect, peace, etc.: One Love
Be there shortly: Soon come
Leaving goodbye: Later
Thank you: Give thanks
Not: Nah
Brothers, friends: Bredren
:wink::wink::blush::sunny:

1 Like

Rocsanna, parli pure italiano ?

1 Like

So you are Sardinian ? I live in France but my parents were Sardinian too. I understand Sardinian, but I don’t speak it very well. Bella limba, su Sardu.

2 Likes

Have no idea if these have already been written but here, have mine (Italian):

• I’m hungry : ho fame (reads something like oh fahmeh)
  • I’m sleepy : ho sonno (the ‘o’ sounds a bit like that in sonar)
  • I’m soooooo tired: sono stanca/o morta/o (the ‘a’ sounds quite a lot like a not breathy ‘ah’); this literally translates as I’m dead tired, we use genders so the ‘stanca morta’ is used by female and ‘stanco morto’ is for male. Feminine words often ends with an ‘a’ (singular), while masculine with an ‘o’ (again, singular because they both changes when plural. Oh joy!).
  • Enough : Basta.
  • Why? : Perché? (don’t mind the accent, the ‘e’ is similar to the one in fetch, we italians always mess with vowel sounds, most of the time it doesn’t change the meaning of the word, it just sounds funny or weird, a funny kind of weird)

But actually don’t study Italian, after years of not studying any language that uses gender, starting Deutsch I realized just how complex it is. Not to mention verbs and all the rest. I mean, I’m not sure I’d study Italian if I didn’t speak it. Latin languages are complex. Too much of everything.
I quite litterally cried over grammar when I was a kid. Why on earth all those rules and verbs constantly changing. Actually… here, a little something for you.

The remote past tense, or third past tense, of the verb to cook, cuocere (and how English translates it):

Io cossi : I cooked
Tu cocesti : You cooked
Egli/ella cosse : He/She/It cooked
Noi cuocemmo : We cooked
Voi coceste : You cooked
Essi/Esse cossero : They cooked

Learn this was like the first personal ‘academic’ achievment of many of us (elementary kids). I’m not even joking.
The third past tense is a nightmare in general. No wait, all verbs are… I don’t really want to think about our grammar it confuses me on too many levels.

Night.

… Don’t study italian, there are so many beautiful and less life wrecking languages out there. Don’t.

Then again if you really want… it can be amazing too. And brilliant.

1 Like

Ciao!
Beh, ci mancherebbe! :stuck_out_tongue: La risposta breve è si. Quella più lunga è che sono laureata in lingue (inglese e italiano) e di professione faccio l’interprete.

1 Like

Noooooo! Laila is joking. Go study Italian, and go do it now!

It’s such a beautiful language, and it’s not really all that difficult, seriously. Trust me on this, I learned it just by watching cartoons (hence the profile pic, long live Rete4, Sailor Moon, Lady Oscar & Mimì e la nazionale di pallavolo!!!).
Of course the fact that my mother tongue is Romanian helped too, since so many words are similar or virtually identical… But you can learn it very easily and you too will have the opportunity of conversing with some of the most cheerful speakers of the planet.

After you’ve learned it, then and only then you can start studying Romanian, which is much more difficult, on so many levels… :sweat_smile: And I am not joking on this… Apart from “biscuit” which is called “biscuit”, pretty much nothing else will make sense to you. :)))))

Baci e abbracci!

1 Like

I read somewhere that Hungarian has 18 cases? Which is what would make it a difficult language to study, but I think it has a nice sound to it and I’ve met people who had no trouble reaching conversational level.
As always, the ability to learn a foreign language is highly influenced by the mother tongue and how many others you can speak, from what linguistic families.

1 Like

Shouldn’t it be 반가워요 instead of 반가와요 and 이름이 뭐예요 instead of 이름이 뭐여요?

반가와요 is correct. The second one was a typo. So you are right about 뭐예요.

Ahah yes, I’m Sardinian, but I think I am at the same level as you: I understand it but I can’t speak it well. My parents have never speaked sardinian to me or each other, my dad speaks sardinian with their friends and I always listened old people speaking it, when they ask something in sardinian I often answer them in italian (it is quite normal there).

Sono arrivata in Francia quando avevo 1 anno. A casa, i miei genitori ci parlavano in italiano e in sardo e noi rispondevamo sempre in francese.

Hebrew:

• Hello = Shalom

• How are you? = ma shlomkha? (boy) ma shlomekh? (girl) ma nishma? ma kore? ma hamatsav? eikh holekh?(unofficial). Actually so many forms of “how are you” has evolved in modern Hebrew that you might hear occasional talks where people actually just keep saying “how are you?” to each other in different forms without ever answering…)

• My name is Uri. = korim li Uri (unofficial) shmi Uri (official)

• Thank you = Toda

I heard Magyar (Hungarian) is in the same family as Finnish and Korean!
Thus some have argued it makes sense to put all those symbols above romanized Korean like the Hungarians.
May be Korean also has 18 cases? I haven’t found the pattern in the language yet. It’s pretty much backward of English/Romance languages and implied subjects.

With Korean like Spanish we have our own REAL, who decide what formal written and spoken Korean is. For example Jja-jang-myeon was only properly written as 자장면 even though everywhere wrote it as 짜장면. I believe it made the Korean evening news.

Korean slang also has a lot of shortened words and otamonopeoias! For example mehnbung (if you use rev rom i think??) is mental-bungae. Those O am not familiar with as much.

Korean also has a lot of Chinese congnates like 70-80%. They’re transliterations of Chinese, and yet some words are quite different meaning I’ve learned through translating. Oh and Korean students are taught traditional Chinese characters as part of the school curriculum. Up until the 60s I believe traditional Chinese was used more on legal official docs. Now not so much.

Some words have multiple ways of saying the same thing:
치킨 (chicken), 닭 (dak), 유 yu (if in context of zodiac or zodiac influenced things),

2 Likes

Some more italian words

Hi = Ciao
Good night = Buona notte
Good morning = Buon giorno
Where is the bathroom? = Dov’è la toilette? (to be more polite, we use the
french term)
Where can I find a taxi? = Dove posso trovare un taxi?
I want a beer, please = Vorrei una birra, per favore

I love you = Ti amo

1 Like

Swedish :wink:
Hello: Hej.
How are you: Hur mår du?
What are you doing: Vad gör du?
My name is__: Jag heter __/ Mitt namn är __.
Thank you: Tack.

1 Like

One of my friends in high school was a Swedish exchange student and I remember her teaching me those sentences. :blush:

1 Like

In what country were you two studying? :slight_smile: