But why would Viki add Backstreet Rookie after criticising it so harshly? And for good reason too!

Now that you mention it, how come soompi never posts anything outside of Korea? I would like to know more about Jdrama and Jpop too.

4 Likes

It wasn’t on Netflix; it came from IQIYI.
And we will see some dramas that are recycled coming from IQ, YT and NF, too.

3 Likes

You’ve got to remember, Soompi got started because

K-Drama was always their thing, and the emerging pop scene in Korea.

Maybe at some point, they’ll level up :woman_shrugging:t5:

The funny thing is, Soompi was also linked to Drama Fever, or vice versa, always connected. I remember first having an account for Soompi, and then having to get one for Drama Fever. Yup! K-Drama addiction, but as I’ve posted before, Viki is my main stay. :wink:

4 Likes

The information is there, you only need to read it.

https://www.soompi.com/about

5 Likes

“Soompi’s legacy began in 1998 when a lonely fan created a Korean pop music fan site from her home in Los Angeles.”

I can relate to the lonely part. :no_mouth:

But that was a millennium ago. Since then, soompi was acquired by Viki. And since Viki is an International company, they could encourage soompi to post J-news as well. I’d love that.

4 Likes

Viki is a subsidiary of Rakuten, which is a Japanese company, so wouldn’t it be logical to also include J-news?

7 Likes

I am not thinking about what should logically be here or not, if I started from that point 
 I would probably never find an end.
About Soompi, since I feel, this is not about facts, as I don’t know, I often say I do not like to speculate, so this is just a guess.
Is there enough manpower to do so?

5 Likes

I’ve been told that I’m an illogical person. But even I still think it’s a great idea. You know what, I’m going to email soompi about it. The worst that can happen is I’ll receive a generic, we’ll-look-into-it-but-not-really response - - 2 months later. :scream_cat: :joy_cat:

6 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, both companies (Viki and Soompi) were bought off by Rakuten, and then made to play nice together :grin:

Soompi doesn’t create their own news. They are not reporters per se. They merely translate the news found on many many Korean websites. You can see that if you read one of their articles and at the bottom of them find sources.

This means that Soompi holds no responsibility for what it writes and simply hides behind the words of other primary news sources. This also means one would have a harder time suing them for libel.

All in all, it shows that Soompi is not a journalistic website. Merely a translating one.

8 Likes

Yes, Soompi isn’t really a news site, more like an entertainment site. They just make all this news available in English to us international fans. If you check the authors’ bio at the end, there’s nothing about them being professionals
 just their hobbies, kpop biases and favorite dramas/actors. They even have quizzes and recommendations so it’s more of an informal entertainment news hub.

But I have seen a few interview articles

7 Likes

Might have been. It’s over a year ago and I can’t find it on Netflix now. International licensing is complicated. Not only they expire over time. Companies might run into other licensing agreements with someone else later on and made changes (taking shows off or adding new ones). Viki has a strong licensing portfolio for kdrama internationally and I hope they keep and expand on that.

5 Likes

And that’s perfectly alright. Real news upsets me. I was just wondering why they can’t add J content as well, you know, Jpop and doramas.

5 Likes

Well, they translate Korean, maybe they have there hands full with that content already and lack the knowledge to translate Chinese or Japanese content.

4 Likes

I got your point clearly from the get-go but it’s also good and logical to mention the reason why the drama was criticized so much, and why it doesn’t deserve to be licensed here. It gives so many negative messages to those watching it here at RViki.com. Although you praise Dramafever; I have to praise my Old VIKI.com. I miss my old Viki and I hope it doesn’t end like dramafever/ gone forever and ever
:cry::broken_heart:

4 Likes

Don’t worry, that’s not going to happen. And do you know why? This is why:

Screenshot_20210810-195438_Viki

6 Likes

Bollywood and other “woods” are all about modesty as far as I can tell. I watched a bunch on Hulu in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Current ones don’t seem to have changed much.

Women dress well and pay attention to their looks for the sake of their marriages, but they are always covered up. I will say that there are lots of cheesy moments, but a lot that make you cry your eyes out.

1 Like

Hmm. People making horrible mistakes and spending 16, 32, 64, 128 episodes atoning for them. I wonder how long that has been the pattern for K-dramas . . .

(Giphy)

1 Like

:grin: And yet, I still watch it with enjoyment!

2 Likes

Currently watching after two episodes I can see the ‘somewhat’ raunchy humor 
somewhat 
I am American, clearly have seen worse; but not as bothered by some of the sexual theme as I have been in more accepted dramas
namely the whole ‘Arkansas thing’ , that is the number of dramas that have kids that grew up as siblings, later having deep crushes on them as adults, there were parts of ‘Oh My Baby’ that made me wanna vomit; I have had some female friends since puberty that the thought of that level of relationship bought out the ‘ew’ factor as I even vaguely saw them as a sister 
but to grow up with one ???

4 Likes

Episode 6 has settled into the predictable routine of relationships, misunderstandings, hopes, dreams, living to please others versus living to please oneself, and if I am allowed to have a crush on an entire cast, I have that crush on the cast of Backstreet Rookie.

My mother was five years younger than my father. If they had met when she was in high school (kind of a stretch), he would have been a grad student at the University of Pittsburgh, studying to be a chemical engineer. They would have welcomed him with open arms, but you can bet that there would have been plenty of chaperones.

Considering that Saet-Byul is an orphan having to deal with life on the streets, paying for her schooling AND her sister’s, and fighting for respect from everyone . . . she is a remarkable character with a heart of gold and a spine of steel.

Dae-Hyun is just a bit of what in Yiddish is called a “nebbish,” basically harmless, not a go-getter, but kind.

(No controversy here. Move along, everyone.)

In terms of ML and FL, the stars of the show have major Lovebird Factor.

@kdrama2020ali, can be applied to individuals as well . . . :blush: :kissing_heart: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes