Can I be in more than one team?

Hey!
I am new to subtitling at Viki and had an important question… Are you able to be in more than one Team?

And how is it ruled in general? Is there a date until you “have to” subtitle an episode?

Can someone please help me?

Natürlich darfst du das und jeder nach drama und Mod bekommst du parts und fristen zugeteilt.
Dies variiert immer ein bißchen.

Sorry, nur eine kurze Antwort, da ich arbeiten bin

1 Like

Danke, du hast mir echt weitergeholfen

UwU das macht nichts, solange ich jetzt weiß wie das in etwa abläuft, hatte halt immer den struggle ob ich mich jetzt nur bei einem Team “melden” soll oder nur bei einem Projekt etc.
Aber dann ist es ja eh gut, dankeeeee

Allgemein haben die meisten deutschen Teams bei aktuellen Dramen etwa 5 Tage/Part als Frist, ab dem Moment der Freigabe.

Du kannst in mehreren Projekten übersetzen, solltest jedoch ein wenig deine zur Verfügung stehende Zeit berücksichtigen, dich also nicht für 20 Projekte anmelden, wenn du zB nur Zeit für 5 hast. Je nach Freigabe der englischen Teams (alle anderen Sprachen dürfen erst mit der Übersetzung anfangen, sobald das englische Team mit dem Edit fertig ist) können sich Parts häufen, zB dann 3-4+/in einer Woche und in einer anderen Woche dann gar keine Parts.

In manchen Fällen arbeiten deutsche Teams ohne Fristen, zB wenn ein Team sehr klein ist und nur 2-3 Übersetzer hat.

Ich hoffe, du kannst es dir nun besser vorstellen :slight_smile:

1 Like

Many experienced subbers and segmenters in Viki are on several teams at once. I would say you need to judge your own abilities, if you can handle more than one show at a time. There isn’t a date that you have to sub by, but most viewers are anxiously awaiting subtitles so I consider it disrespectful to volunteer and not fulfill our duty conscientiously.

On computer under the subtitling team name, all members are displayed and how much work they have done. When someone has done 12,000 subs in a drama, do you want to be the one with a minimal amount to stay on the team?

Most Channel Managers try to aim for two episodes per week. I think if you can assist to reach that goal then you’re doing well. When I edit, I like to do one episode per day, as I’m aware that international subbers work after me so I don’t want to hold anyone behind me hostage. Have you seen all the requests for Spanish, French, Portuguese, Arabic subtitles?

I think if you are on several teams, you need to have an excellent memory. Otherwise, there will be inconsistencies in your translations. For example: if you can’t remember that an uncle is on his deathbed and you translate something amiss. it really bothers reviewers who are quick to point out flaws in the writer, when it’s really a fault of the subber or even editor!

2 Likes

Danke! Ich kenne mich jetzt etwas besser aus, aber ich hatte sowieso nicht vor mich in zu vielen zu melden, wegen der Zeit, damit ich alles sonstige auch noch regeln kann und auch Zeit für was anderes habe.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer.
It was just, because I was interested if I get several answers to other applications, if I am able to work in 2-3 shows at once. I think I am going to handle it, otherwise I’ll have to write down notes on my phone or something.

Keeping notes is a really good way to stay organized. I have pages of notes about editing subtitles, including honorifics and name titles. For example: historical drama CMs are usually excellent about notes on name titles.

2 Likes