Can we get some FRESH story lines & characters for BLs?

ok,ok, I guess I did misunderstand, the same things over & over again! and your last sentence, yes the same thing! There gotta be something better, instead of the school kids, or vengeance, or triangles, or whatever else I missed. same stories different venue, yes piggyback, if I may, cute bodyguard, is one copied from one some years ago, and can name more, so as for this BL same thing. there are some really cute stories, and I am not knocking them

I think this is the one, but not sure

but again I apologize for misunderstanding

1 Like

For those looking for something different, I recommend the Korean Variety show Me(a)rry Queer which has recently become available here at Viki. It explores the real-life relationships of LGBTQ people in South Korea. I know it is a little off the topic since it is not a BL per se, but it is a refreshing change. All I can say is after watching this program, I really felt how the tired old tropes of BL shows really do a disservice to the real LGBTQ people fighting for equality and acceptance. Hopefully things are changing and a lot of those older stereotype elements will go away.

1 Like

Thanks for that info. I was watching several BL recently, and all I did was cry bc I felt so bad with the characters playing in the story. The themes are too painful to watch, and the endings are never a happy one. I guess I always pick the wrong ones. I like seeing them finding some acceptance from their family, and what hurts me the most the way they talk to the child they brought into the world. How can a parent wish their child to die? It’s really depressing to watch stories like that.

I also saw something that shocked me to the core. You know how they show how the ‘‘kissing’’ scene was filmed? I mean the real way the scene was played along, and the PERFECT way it looks in the drama/movie? Well, I was curious bc most of the times these recap scenes are fun to watch, but this one was so painful to watch, and I can imagine how the actor must feel knowing millions of viewers are watching this video.

There was an older (actor) guy with the younger (actor) guy in love with the older ML actor, and he suddenly kisses passionately the older actor. My goodness! was this hard to watch and so unexpected because the older actor starts desperately cleaning his lips, and spitting out over and over again.This went on for a while, and I don’t understand why they allowed to post such a video since I know the younger actor has to suffer the humiliation of knowing millions of viewers are watching the disgust the older actor felt in the kissing scene. I feel so sorry for the younger actor, and hope he can deal well with this uncomfortable situation. Is bad enough the things they face in life and now this too?:cry::pensive:

3 Likes

Oh my, @angelight313_941!
I’m sorry that you have been watching BL dramas with sad endings and family conflict. Just when you think that the old trope of gay= death is gone, it pops back up again. It is really too bad.

I am shocked about your experience watching the Behind the Scenes kissing scene video. One wonders why the older actor agreed to be in the series if he felt so strongly about a M/M kiss scene. I think the BL series are mostly independent, low budget productions so the actors’ salaries can’t be that much. Certainly not enough to warrant forcing yourself. I don’t know.

The following BL series have happy endings and family acceptance:
Long Time, No See
Be Loved In House: I Do
Don’t Say No
Cutie Pie
History 2
History 3: Trapped

2 Likes

Thanks for the list. I appreciate the feedback-titles bc I won’t worry about watching a sad ending or family conflicts.
In regards to the actions of the older actor, I don’t know what possessed him to be so obvious, and I just hope that young man can handle the situation well. I saw somewhere a comment to excuse the actor’s behavior that he is known to be ‘‘OCD,’’ and I think maybe that was a playing factor. I’m still furious that they even showed such a scene in a video bc in my opinion that was not enjoyable to watch, and it even made me upset to give it view just bc I was expecting to see something else. I felt I was tricked into watching it, and anyway I did made a report on the video so hopefully enough ppl. will do it so it gets removed.

PS. Long time, no see. Is not here on viki. But all the others; I put on my watchlist to start watching them. Thanks again!

2 Likes

I’ve got a collection of sweet BLs you might be interested in. https://www.viki.com/collections/3349011l-innocent-or-sweet-bl-dramas

I could probably guess which actor you’re talking about, with the BTS.

If you don’t want the sad endings make sure to avoid HIStory 3: Make Our Days Count, or just skip the last episode, it’s completely unnecessary. Also avoid like the plague The Effect, it’s not a bad drama, in fact I think it’s really well done, it’s just full of trauma and hard to watch, it’s one you need a box of tissues for and it’s only 3 episodes.

2 Likes

You are welcome, @angelight313_941!

There are many BL with happy endings these days. The characters still go through ups and downs, but finally find their happiness in the end.

For “Long Time, No See” - it is a mature drama with a gangster setting, but the happy ending makes it all worth it. It really is one of the best BL in my opinion. I give important information below in summary.

Summary

The ML character is a gangster but he is doing it because the Boss saved him in his youth. He goes through a lot of ups and downs so there is some sadness before the happy finale. The romance is solid and the journey of the ML character from outcast to finding love and acceptance with his love interest is very well done. I tell you, the boyfriend’s sister is just so amazing character. The very last scene is just so heartwarming. Note: You must watch the drama until the very end to get the full benefit.

As for the older actor: If he is known to have OCD, the producers should not have uploaded that BTS video. It is not fair to both the older actor to show his illness nor to his younger co-star. It still makes me wonder why the older actor took the job as a romantic lead in a BL if he does have OCD issues with love scenes. I mean, surely there are other roles he could focus on that do not require kiss scenes? Anyway, agree with you that was a bad decision by the producers to upload the video. I hope the video will be removed.

2 Likes

Your description is funny😁

Try to watch some shows that are not labelled as BL but have gay characters too, then you might find some interesting characters and storylines.

2 Likes

@sweetybirdtoo

Thank you soo much for that!!! I can’t watch depressing story lines bc I get easily depressed for days. The fact that I have family members going through some injustice like I see in some of these scenes, makes me more determined not to watch them since it will just affect me emotionally, and my kids get sad when they see me sad. They don’t need that; I love to see them laugh.

3 Likes

I think the best solution is Kinnporsche, Manner of Death,Together with me .
But also until we meet again , but the bottom is a bit innocent

1 Like

:sunglasses: First of all, thank you for bringing up this topic

If we fail to separate the artistic act from the real life of the actors, we make a big mistake. The scene you described is an artistic act, an acting performance.
Why would they be ashamed (?), why would they be afraid (?).
Actors may or may not be gay in real life, even more so, if they are or not gay and the scene they played was memorable for the audience, it means that they have a developed emotional intelligence, that their performance was good and they have the goal was achieved, and their work was rewarded by this fact. I emphasize that the actors’ performance and assumption of the roles of what they are not is a responsibility that they assume , and the success and credibility of the character additionally demonstrates that the actors in question have a high emotional intelligence.
Here is another comment about :
@manganese
” Hi @midknightmoodz :slight_smile: That’s a great question. Here’s my take on it…
Being LGBTQ+ or straight is not a choice, so it stands to reason that some of the BL actors will be straight since most people in this world are straight.
It’s acting. Acting means pretending to be something you are not. Whether or not a BL actor is part of the LGBTQIA communities is irrelevant from my perspective. As a member of the LGBTQ+ families, I find it hugely complimentary that straight guys are happy to take on gay roles and to help promote the rainbow communities. I have nothing but a tonne of respect for these men and women.”.

4 Likes

daccrismel_71
If we fail to separate the artistic act from the real life of the actors, we make a big mistake. The scene you described is an artistic act, an acting performance .
Why would they be ashamed (?)

Did you really read everything I wrote there or for unknown reason to me; maybe you didn’t understood what I wrote there?

Because the actor need to maintain his decorum and respect towards the other actor, I felt his behavior was totally uncalled for since all he had to do was be more sensitive and not be so obvious in his disgust attitude towards the kissing scene. Although I’m not angry at the older actor at all, but at the people that allowed this video to be publicly viewed when it’s painful to watch.

Let’s say the older guy is straight, and the younger guy went ‘‘overboard’’ in his tongue kissing scene, the older guy still needed to deal with the situation a bit more professionally. I hope the video is no longer able to be viewed to the public for the sake of the younger actor’s self esteem. Even if the issue was bad taste or bad breath, he could have played it off since after all, he is an actor.

4 Likes

:sunglasses:
Embarrassing moments behind the scenes of film sets/theatre scenes/shows (regardless of their genre/category) are extremely many and most of the time we try to make them comical because the limit to the ridiculous is extremely fine and yes, up to after all, artists are people with different traits, personalities, experiences, they are children, brothers, lovers, spouses or precious parents of their families and they can react at certain moments, through the prism of others, embarrassingly…
For certain roles, there are actors (with old backgrounds in theater and cinema) who, in order to “get into the skin of the character”, had to impose a certain harsh behavior on themselves or on others, the diametrically opposite conduct of what they actually are, compared to the scene partners (partners who literally cried, not understanding what was happening to them…) and with all that, through the atmosphere created and their performance, they made the films successful and the protagonists today are good friends.
The reality is that in such a filming session/rehearsal, in which romantic scenes are involved, the actors are put in extreme situations (especially emotional ones, which they overcome as best they can) and before going on stage / enters the frame, they also assume the risk of such moments.
The empathy you have towards the young actor in the given situation shows that you are a sensitive person, but don’t take it so much into account… they are actors and they go through such moments… it’s the risk of the job…:hugs: the show must go on

2 Likes

Two actors who barely met on the movie set and who have to play the scene of a passionate kiss, in which the risk of fluid exchange suddenly appears… I don’t think they weren’t expecting such a purely human reaction , after finishing the scene… He was a professional actor during the filming, after cutting the scene he was himself, this does not mean that he is to be condemned nor that he is unprofessional, he simply did not want to swallow …
Ultimately, after cutting the sequence, the actors must get out of the character’s skin, return to what they are, this, first of all, as a psychological protection (and sanitary if you want)…
Everything I wrote is not an excuse for the action or inaction of the actors in question, but an attempt to explain that those videos are proof of the work done by them for the success of the scenes and the credibility of the character in the film, what is outside the scenes only shows that they are people able to shut down their own personality to dress up a role and they probably did it well…

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but at this point; you are Totally CLUELESS. I was trying to find the BTS video I was talking about, but can’t find it anywhere, and let me tell you THAT makes me very happy indeed.

I will end this discussion with this quote because you are a perfect example of that.

I’m fairly sure I know which BTS scene you’re talking about, it was rather painful to watch, and even thought your comment didn’t lead to the discussion you intended, the one it prompted was interesting none the less.

Even though I’m fairly sure I know the scene I have no intention of looking for it, personally I felt like it was a violation of their privacy to watch it. I always thought of BTS as part of a show’s publicity, but for me it didn’t do anything beneficial for the drama or the actors.

2 Likes

@sweetybirdtoo

Thanks a lot for sharing this, and like you, I will leave as is now bc I couldn’t find it although I DID tried to find it (just so they knew where I was coming from), but I appreciate so much your input, and your heart bc anyone that watches that video and doesn’t feel hurt must have a heart of stone. I hope I can erase it forever. I’m working on it.

1 Like