Challenge to Korean learners

The following is good, too, and cute to boot! http://tadaktadak.co.kr/taja/jari.html?type=0

How is the 6-month learning Korean challenge going for you, @alienluvah? Fighting! Hwaiting!

you guys should try seemile.com as well. It’s how I know (more or less) how to read Hangul and maybe write it - spelling mistakes will happen. Because of school I had to put aside studying it, but now that’s done with I have time and really want to start again. So that’s my starting point. Good for any beginner I’m sure ^^

2 Likes

Cool. Will have to check it out. Studying has put me on hold for a while with Korean. I won’t do it unless I can do it well, and unfortunately, those studies are taking massive amounts of time and energy that leave nothing much for extracurriculars like language self-study. :frowning:

Good thing about the site (you have to click on the go back to old site link) that it’s with youtube videos which all in all aren’t that long with short lessons in it - which make it a whole lot easier.

Hi Everyone!!

Is anyone interested in starting another language challenge? It wouldn’t need to be Korean, but any language you want to learn. We could all touch base weekly, share struggles and triumphs, and hold one another accountable.

I did pretty well when @Alienluvah suggested this a few months ago, and actually made some real strides in Korean.

Up for it?

1 Like

Can I ask how you tried to learn/improve your Korean in those months?

I think that it’d be a good motivation to have a language challenge if several people do it… What do you mean exactly by a challenge? Improving language skills (a lot?) in 6 months?

@Hesto I’m interested, I’m about to lose motivation again. Today I was planning to start reviewing TTMIK level 1 and 2 before moving on to level 3 and do some planting on memrise. Should have don that earlier.

But I think I can skip a few things in level 1 and 2 because I have been studying with my Hello Korean 1 book. I plan to ask Hello Korean 2 and 3 for Christmas so before that I want to complete book 1 if possible so I can use book 2 right away if santa is so kind :smile:

1 Like

Sure!
I wasn’t quite sure how or what I should do so the first month was exploring how I learn best…

Basically for 3 months I promised to study 5 times a week for one hour a day. I wanted to improve reading/speaking and listening.
I used Memrise.com in order to get more vocab.
I used italki.com to find a tutor and to try and make friends who speak Korean.
and I used Lang8.com to practice writing . (I wasn’t as good about keeping up a diary)

I did really well in vocab and I learned the 1000 most common Korean words.
I finished up a couple of Korean workbooks I had laying around and gained some grammar.
And I practiced speaking with someone over skype once a week. (This was the hardest for me because my pronunciation is rather bad and I’m really shy in real life.)
Personally I feel like I moved up a level in Korean. So I want to do it again :slight_smile: but it’s so much harder alone.

By Challenge… I just mean challenge yourself- What is your language goal? Do you want to have a 15 minute conversation with a native? Pass a placement test? Subtitle a movie? The only rule is that the goal needs to measurable (Otherwise how do you know when you are there).

1 Like

I was actually checking out italki earlier this week and I was confused, is that service free or not? It looked as if you had to pay per ‘lesson’. Also last week a ‘tutor’ contacted me through the language exchange mentioned above offering me his service for a small fee but I have no idea what is fair, what I should expect and everything. Not that I can afford it yet but when I can I want to give this a try because I noticed during a beginners class lesson at a convention I went to that that’s more my thing. But that school is only in Amsterdam and has lessons on saturday morning. Not an option for me because only to get there I need to travel 2+ hours.
Next to that ‘tutor’ I found some nice Korean people to do language exchange with but then again where to start? I mean I don’t really know enough yet to have a good conversation, yesterday I tried to write a message to someone in Korean, I knew all the words but I had no idea how to put it all in good sentences. Where did you start with your tutor or language exchange person?

italki has two options you can pay for tutors and then you can also just look for people who want to do a 50/50 language exchange and then you can chat over skype or message back and forth.

The first thing I would do is create an introduction. Your name, your age, your year in school or an occupation and any hobbies you have. ( I can help you if you’re unsure of any of the words.) and then of course goodbye.

Start small. Your first conversation in Korean might only be a minute and a half. If they ask a question you don’t know ask them to type it for you. Then you can find out how to answer that question and get back to them (maybe in a different session).
Also when I chatted with people I kept a google translate up in a small window so that if I need help with a word I could look it up quickly.

Wow you learnt those 1000 words? :open_mouth: I looked at them a few months ago and although I knew quite a lot of them already, I don’t think I can study them quickly or something… (like the person who started this discussion: all in 1 month would be kind of impossible for me, I think :/)

Ah, now I understand what you mean by challenge, thank you :slight_smile: Did you really have a (measurable) goal in mind when you did this a few months ago or did you just want to improve reading/speaking/listening by studying 5 times a week, 1 hour a day?

I didn’t do real talking yet with anyone, just emailing, but hopefully I will find a native who wants to do so with me. I also sometimes have the problem that some just simply stop emailing, no idea why. Maybe because I tend to respond within 24 hours and they think I expect the same of them which I don’t.

I can introduce myself in Korean with hobbies, country, job. That was covered in the very first lesson of Hello Korean 1.
I mostly use 2 translators… Daum and Google Translate because on daum I havent figured out yet how I can let it pronounce Korean words. Maybe I click the wrong buttons…

Let’s think of what my goal will be for this challenge and how I plan to reach it.

2 Likes

The words weren’t so bad. I added 15 new ones per day and I had them in about 2 months, I couldn’t do it in a month my brain would sizzle. . . also reviewing them took a lot more time than I expected

Technically. . . My goal was to have a conversation in 3 months. It was shaky and they had to repeat themselves and speak slowly, but I did it!

This time I have a test in Korean I need to pass, so I have 2 months to make sure I know everything that a college student would know in the first 2-3 years.

It sounds like you have studied Korean. If you don’t mind me asking, what would you say your level is?

Ah I see… but it’s cool that you achieved your goal :smile:
Oh a test in Korean… if you need to know as much as a college student would know in 2-3 years (college student who studies Korean??) then I guess that’s quite a lot…
Well I haven’t really studied Korean (yet) but before I knew any Korean words, I thought it’d be fun to try learning Hangeul and after that I just read what other people wrote, so I learnt quite a lot because of that… and dramas…
I did have small conversations with Korean people… so I guess… advanced beginner? If a level like that exists… XD

I too have been trying to learn Korean for the last 2 years, and nothing has stuck. I believe it’s because the subtitles are offered to the shows that I watch, that my eyes and ears magically hear English instead of the language…does that make since. I’ve tried my best (I think) and it’s a nightmare. I love the dramas and can’t seem to pull myself away from them. I even purchase the MBC America channel via ATT U-verse, but as of May 4, 2015 MBC America will no longer provide subtitles for it’s shows…so now I am at a crossroads…either truly learn the language so I can continue to watch the dramas or give up the Korean dramas and go back to American television only.

I wish there was a way to make the language stick so that when I hear it being spoken at a pace I speak my own native tongue, it computes in my mind and I know what they are saying instantly. Anyways, I like your post, and will check out your vocabulary list.

1 Like

I think a good way to remember words that you learnt, is by speaking the language that you’re learning a lot. I realise that I often know a word in a certain language when I read it, but can’t remember it when I’m speaking or writing. So if you try to use the language a lot in real situations instead of just listening and reading stuff, you’ll be able to remember things a lot better. I think. But the problem might be trying to find someone to talk to and having enough confidence to speak.

If you are interested in learning Korean phrases or vocabularies from TV dramas, give laughingbeans.com a try. It’s pretty cool website where Korean native speakers teach you short vocabulary from Youtube videos. It has save functions that allow you to keep track of words and vocabs that you intend to memorize and test them.

I’m Korean and have made some videos with kdrama for helping Korean learners.
I’m searching what kind of videos youguys need to study Korean?
let me know them to plan new series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvOXciYG1WU

i put my default keyboard in Korean IME so all i have to do is press right alt to switch back and forth