Choosing Moderators

What is moderator?

1 Like

III. MODERATORS

There are three types of moderators: English Moderators, All Language Moderators, and Other Language Moderators. Overall, Moderators must be current and active on Viki. They should be willing to provide quality contributions to the community and be a vital player with their teammates. It is important for Moderators to be regularly available for the entire run of a series.

A. BECOMING A MODERATOR

The general requirements for moderators are described below. To apply to become a moderator, first check the volunteer list on the main channel page to ensure there is an opening for the position. Then, send your request to the Channel Manager through PM. Click here to learn how to send a message to the Channel Manager.

B. ENGLISH AND ALL LANGUAGE MODERATORS

English and All Language Moderators often have slightly more responsibility than other moderators. Regardless of the channel’s source language and content type, the first language to be subtitled is generally English. Moderators need to be around during the upload, segmenting, and subtitling times of each episode. When there are multiple English and All Language Moderators, the dominant moderator (to be determined by the CM or amongst the moderators themselves) is often in charge of the main tasks such as notifying segmenters and subtitlers when an episode is uploaded.

2 Likes

I was recruited to an upcoming show today as TE/Eng Mod and then suddenly someone messaged me asking to join the team. They mentioned they weren’t fluent but wanted to do TE/GE/CE and said they knew what to do.

In another discussion, there was the topic of, “too many cooks in the kitchen” something along those lines. It made me wonder how someone that wasn’t fluent in the language wanted to be TE. (Anyway, this was besides the point) My question is, are TE’s/Mods supposed to recruit? Personally, I don’t have any experience with recruiting but my senses tells me this person wasn’t the right choice for GE/CE. (But then, the team already has a TE/CE) - I know there could be more than one depending on projects, I guess.

So, in response to this persons message I said something like, “if you have already messaged the CM you must wait for her reply because recruiting for the team is her decision.” Quite frankly, I don’t want to be the person to make this decision.

2 Likes

Often, it’s the CE who chooses the GE and TE. CEs have been in this field for a long time, so they’ll be very familiar with most editors. There can be more than one TE & GE if CE wishes to choose. It’s like any other OL team, the moderator chooses their editors and subbers.

Sometimes, CMs choose the entire English team. Many CEs might not like this (some threads here say the same). Just like how no OL mod would want the CM to choose editors and subbers for the OL team.

It isn’t necessary for the CM to know who edits the best, they might make mistakes which can have very bad results. I’d say it’s best for CE to choose their editing team.

7 Likes

Thank you for your reply! I was confused why this person messaged me. As long as I don’t have to recruit, I’ll just stick to my duties.

I’m still “new” coming back from a long hiatus, so I don’t really know any Editors or Subbers . I just know the few I’m currently working with right now.

4 Likes