Descendants of the Sun

They probably liked the phonetics of “Urk” and didn’t think to do a google search.

They wrote Urk, but they pronounced it as Uruk.

There’s always a word that means something different in another language, just ask a village in Austria… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fucking,_Austria

3 Likes

omg…
I love you. Thank you for all the laughs!!!

Ha, I just came here after searching Urk and trying to figure out if that was a real place and find where DOTS was filmed. It does state in an early episode of the drama that they are in the Balkans (Southeastern Europe)! I agree with the person who says that the Arab diplomat was just visiting the area. I never felt they were trying to portray the area as being an Arabic country… there are so many people from different cultures in the show.

3 Likes

In the second episode of the drama they mentioned that they are in the Balkans which is not supposed to be Arab. I don’t understand why everybody gets upset about the scenery but I’m only on episode 2 so what do I know

I think SJK said during an interview that he was insistent on doing the stunts himself eventhough the director warned against it.

1 Like

You mean ‘Insha’Allah’ :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

1 Like

This is a bit late, but if you go to episode 2 timestamp 48:44, they have a conversation like this “where is Urk?” “It’s a country located at the top of the Balkans”.
So yes. They did their research properly. In that area you would get a vast amount of people speaking multiple languages due to its strategic trading location on the Mediterranean and, if I am not mistaken, it is in an area that could still have old explosives from the Soviet era depending on how close to the old USSR the place is.
Please don’t complain that people don’t do their research when you don’t do your own properly.

4 Likes

Urk is indeed in Netherland but the scene were shot in Greece I guess for economical reason they won’t spend a lot about the church it’s ok because not all Arabs are Muslim arabs can be Jewish and cristian also the Arabic language used in the drama sorry to say that but it’s called " Fus’ha" which means Classical Arabic or littéraire Arabic that we only have in books every Arab country has her own language I mean if you go Egypt they speak egyptian , Tunisia they speak Tunisian Morocco : Moroccan etc , but in this drama they were speaking littéraire Arabic that none of us speak in the street also it looks like it was shot in monte negro or Greece but definitely not Netherland, kids their looks from all over the world some look syrien libanese , but overall it was a good drama even though sometimes the main lead is shown as supernatural since he never get hurt even if he does he s still standing on his feet😉

1 Like

Yes! The Arabic thing kinda annoyed me cause really, if we actually spoke like that here in Egypt (or any other Arabian country for that matter), we’d be called crazy or stuff like that. A bit disappointed that they didn’t really do proper research on dialects.

1 Like

Turkey and Afganistan are not an arabic countries

In the begining of the show they said the country is in the Balcans, and they are not arab, they are “musulmanes” (I don’t know how to say this in english) They have the religion but they are european. As people from Kosovo or Albania… and the european part of Turkey. Not every musulman has an arab origin… some countries from Polinesia has also the religion too

1 Like

I think people are overthinking it. It’s a made-up, fantasy country with imaginary people, not any existing nationality or religion. A place where Muslims and Christians co-exist, as there are many in the worl.

1 Like

I laughed so hard when reading it, this was too funny :grinning: :laughing:

While segmenting Showbiz Korea (drama news, actors, their career):
Kim Eun Sook, the writer of Descendants of the Sun was an accountant for 7 years in a furniture factory, but her love for dramas lead her to writing. And she wrote hits like Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, A Gentleman’s Dignity.
:dizzy_face: Let’s think about retraining in writing dramas :laughing:

1 Like

So I did my own research and I reached the following conclusion:
They wanted to make it look as if they were in Iraq but they filmed it in Greece for obvious reasons.
Greece it’s part of EU and it’s relative safe so they filmed in Greece, specifically in Zakinthos island, Arahova and Lemnos.
Based on this link
Why did they called Uruk? I think because they wanted to make it as if they were in Iraq which has a place called Uruk.
Why do i say they tried to make as if they were in Iraq because i saw the Iraq flag in several scenes before the 11th episode. Or at least the flag that i identified as the Iraq one.
A fail was to think that Iraq and Greek language symbols are remotely similar xD. Anyway.

I still enjoyed so much this k-drama, going to keep looking at the flag just to confirm if it is the Afghanistan or the Iraq one because I am not really good at flags.

Xo

If we are complaining about inaccuracies then I’m miffed that the “insensitive American reporter” has a British accent. It doesn’t surprise me that portrayals of other languages and accents don’t match when that is my measuring stick.