Dramas & books that changed you (or impacted you)

Trust is the base of a relationship.
Being true to yourself.
My answer doesn’t have much importance on this matter.
Mostly, I wanted to thank Angel for being sensitive over this matter and between different possibilities she could have picked in this dialogue, she took this direction with Anna. Thanks Angel for making an effort and again, thanks for your humility.
And I wanted to thank my friends for understanding me better than anyone else on Viki. Their values and mine are not always the same, same with opinions or the way we see things, communicate, etc! We know that.

Like for Freud theories or the Bible, messages can be interpreted the way the reader wants to.
Friends will know what I mean when I’m clumsy with my words, without needing me explaining further. They know me too well.

Is there something else you want to talk about?

@cntv_854

I really understand your point, and I’m so glad you also share your feelings about this discussion bc you are expressing your opinion in a very courteous manner. The reason why I used that word ‘‘sacred’’ is bc it’s a very famous Spanish phrase in my little island. (La opinión de todo el mundo es sagrada). Also, the way I expressed my opinion to anna was not the correct way to go about it. (to make matters worse I used some capital letters), that people feel ‘‘you are screaming at them’’ (I assumed that’s where the word ‘‘attack’’ comes from her)

The fact that the other person admires Sir. Freud so much gave me no right to go about it the way I did just bc I don’t see eye to eye with Sir. Freud psychological analysis. I felt I was way too judgemental when I was sharing my own opinion.

I didn’t apologize to anna bc I feel my opinion was wrong and hers was right. The way I approached the subject, I was wrong. There are many ways to express our differences of opinion in a more constructive way without pushing people’s buttons. And I reiterate what I said before, there are times is best to stay away from certain subjects in certain places and this public forum was not the best place to do that.

PS. viki site discussion is mainly for the dramas and things related to the site, and in my opinion is best to keep it that way.

On that note, I want to suggest to everyone to check out the drama KILL IT. I never received a PM about this drama, and although it is a little violent , sad, and i don’t know if romance will ever bloom, it’s also action packed (my favorite type of drama). So far there are 8 episodes fully subbed. Hope you like it!

1 Like

It’s so nice to see a discussion where people can apologize an get back to the topic as I have seen many threats on viki I finally abandoned because the tone got rougher and rougher ending in insults.

I would just like to add my two cents about Freud. Anna doesn’t imperatively admire Freud very much. Anna, you might disagree with my interpretation but I understood your comment as: Whatever you might think about Freud nowadays you need to consider that he is the father of modern psychology, that everything we work on now is thanks to his work, even when we contradict him.

Many of his theories are hotly discussed and even been contradicted, but without his ideas we wouldn’t even have gotten to the point where we are now. I have studied Freud and I don’t like him particularly but one must understand his historical background to understand him fully.

Now to the Original Thread:
I book, better a trilogy I liked very much was the Color Trilogy of manhwa author Kim Dong Hwa. I read it in Spanisch but believe that besides the English traduction it exists (or existed) also in French. It describes the growing up of a young girl living in the countryside with her mother. The problems of a young girl discovering her body changing and her sexuality are told with so much sensibility and empathy that I was surprised to discover that it had been written by a man. The minimalistic pictures and the metaphors are beautiful.

It is certainly not so profound as psychoanalysis or political theories but I find you can find your ‘bonheur’ anywhere. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wanted to find the book of Silenced drama, but couldn’t find it in English.
I’ve finished Oprah’s book (I’ve liked it, it was different than the previous previous book).
Now I’m reading this one: some paragraphs are disturbing for me but it’s a new approach for me that I appreciate discovering.

Reading an epub version is really convenient to highlight paragraphs, export them, add your own personal notes or bookmarks paragraphs. The feeling of turning soft pages is not there, but I wouldn’t dare to highlight all the book in paper, so it’s quite convenient!

I’ve never read a Korean book, except manhwas. There are some I wanted to read but never found the English version. So I would probably like recommendations.

Sadly it seems that many text-only books from Asia including Japan, China and Korea aren’t published for Western readers. Sometimes you can find fan translations.

About psychology & therapy and modern forms… they started implementing old (buddhistic) philosophies into modern Western style forms since they realized it is more helpful than the common forms they used during past time of that whole isolated medicine/health industry process.

It’s also thanks to people like Deepak Chopra that there started a change; when people that believe there is more than a mortal body are scientists & medics (Joe Dispenza, Bruce Lipton, Gregg Braden, Neale Walsh…)

They’ve written books but also do lectures; some of them for online viewing/during events.

Deepak Chopra regularly offers 21 days of meditation to a certain topic (usually twice a year, you can listen to it for free during that time).

For people that want to think more about themselves but are also interested in science, buddhism its worth to have a look at it.

[spoiler]PS:

It’s sometimes surprising that certain philosophic aspects, e.g. buddhistic are part of modern Chinese dramas (like keeping old wisdoms alive) while I can’t remember any modern Western entertaining series that includes that. So sometimes, what is said from the scientists I mentioned above is also part of Chinese drama stories, including also genetic aspects like genetic manipulation by aliens.[/spoiler]

I’ve finished “The unthetered soul”.
I have mixed feelings. It made me think a lot lot lot.
Unlike the other books, I spent a lot of time reading each word of specific paragraphs, trying to understand what they imply and what’s more, in a modern society like ours, sometimes blocked and just giving more time to take the book again.

Unlike the other books, it directly mentions “spirituality”. I’ve never read this genre and I’m far from understanding totally the content of this book.
I don’t know if people who read this book tried and managed to apply what is said in this book.

Everyone might not agree with everything, but I can only recommend to everyone to read it at least once in her/his life.

The book’s intro with Freud inside for a brief moment (he’s everywhere!):

There’s a book talking about coincidences that are not coincidences, but I forgot the title of this book and I haven’t got to read it. I haven’t given much a thought when I fall upon the book’s synopsis.

I'm not sure to be able to understand Buddhism Sutra (the meaning): In Ever Night, they talked about the Diamond Sutra. I began to read it and after a few chapters, I was lost. For ex, this chapter: https://diamond-sutra.com/read-the-diamond-sutra-here/diamond-sutra-chapter-20/

I’ll try an easier sutra when I can find one that would be more accessible for me.

I’m changing register with Stephen Hawking “Brief Answers to the Big Questions”. I’ve never read anything from him, so why not learning.