Dramas with Expiring Licenses :(

Oddly, I tried to email through my Viki account but I could not send it as it did not acknowledge it as a username. I guess I could try my individual mail.

you need to mail them with the e-mail adres you use on Viki. Or you can just fill in a form on the site. Forgot the link to that form though.

Now that makes me wonder how old you are hahahaha…LOL

But I think I might get a reply after everything is expired already…

Remember the guy they found in the cave at the beginning of Splendid Politics???

Another drama that has been lost is The Reputable Family.

1 Like

We should start a pool on how many of the 24 on the list will be renegotiated, I’ll say 0.

1 Like

I am with the same guess …
But did you read the post about MBC dramas?
http://discussions.viki.com/t/mbc-america-subtitles-dramas-no-more-as-of-may-2015/5957/3

Do you perhaps know how many dramas are from MBC? I know at least Goong, Kim Sam Soon and Jewel in the Palace are, right?

I don’t watch anything but sageuks but all of those are from MBC. I pulled up a few of the others and they were all from MBC as well.

MBC America says that they won’t be subtitling anymore because they want to “go live”. Do the Korean Americans who don’t need the subtitles really want to watch shows that air in the evening, in the morning in the US? Or afternoon shows in the middle of the night? That doesn’t make any sense to me and I suspect there is something behind this that isn’t obvious to me. The Koreans I know are all at work during the day so the only ones at home to watch are the retired elderly.

On the other hand, if they are not going to subtitle dramas it seems to me that this would be good for groups like Viki. I don’t know how the loss of licenses on Viki can tie into this.

I suspect that MBC wants to handle the license business in another way. We won’t be able to guess unless all is “cut and dried”.
And hopefully the outcome won’t be no more dramas from MBC at Viki at all.
As usually Viki will demand what is the hardest for everyone here - patience …

Kingdom of the Winds has had no videos on it for almost 2 weeks. Today all episodes are back. No explanation, no answer to the message to the help desk but Kristene did say she would look into it so perhaps she got it straightened out.

It’s a very very good new !

I still haven’t had an answer either and I still need to watch half of “Jewel in the palace” and I had planned some others. Sageuks always take me longer to finish because the plot is so heavy I can’t marathon them for to long.

2 Likes

Dudie, I hope you will find some time to watch Jewel in the Palace because it truly is a classic. That is the only drama that I watched more than once.

1 Like

Just did some researching this morning and thought this was interesting.
http://recode.net/2015/01/30/viki-video-site-founder-leaves-ceo-spot-stays-at-rakuten/

Jewel in the Palace is gone :frowning: Now I feel really stupid for not marathoning it faster because now it’s gone and it was at a point I started to like it again… some parts of the plot I found a bit boring at times.

Now I never know how it will end unless I watch it somewhere else…

I was able to watch it but how sad it is that it’s gone. I cannot understand the reasoning behind letting go of such a classic. So disappointed in Viki. :frowning:

Are you in the licensed locations because it is not gone.
http://www.viki.com/tv/614c-jewel-in-the-palace?q=je

Huh it’s back?! When I checked earlier I only saw the clips

must have been a glitch ive had that happen as well xD

The only negative for me on that story is that I learned NBC, who I thoroughly despise, has an investment position.

It’s still working for me but I saw a couple comments from 3 days ago that they can’t access it any longer. Can you check and see if you have access now?