Duties of a Channel Manager and a Moderator

psst. Let me get you in on a well guarded secret.

Segmenting is like setting the table. Without a sturdy table, dinner cannot be served. However, dinner is to be set out everyday. And let’s say that in order to serve dinner, of course the table must be set.

But if the dinner is not being served (subbed) or the serving slow, the setting of the table of the next day, also can slow down with little to no effect on the overall production speed. That’s why I prefer to seg long 50 ep shows (little-no stress)

2 Likes

I’d like to hear any insight. I introduced a newcomer/subber to Viki 1 month ago, and she started on a old drama. I explained the rules shared that introduction video and send her to my profile to read on various helpful links, I shared the goodledoc with rules and so for that drama. After contributing 79 subs so far I wondered why there was a bit quiet. While other two also newcomers I introduced have achieved the QC Trainee status (awesome!), the first one has now become a 2 languages Moderator of an old Drama, her sub count is currently over 200 subs.
I’m puzzled and confused, what is your 2 cents, do you think that is acceptable?

2 Likes

Um, if I were that CM, I would think twice before allowing a newbie to become a moderator. But old dramas are beggars. And you know what they can’t be, then.

Also, we are back to the whole “not allowed to dissuade from contributing” Viki thang.

1 Like

I think it depends on which moderator it is. Typically, for an english moderator, there will be duties like commenting to comments, subbing/segging, and others. There are usually more than one for english, so I think a newbie can handle it as long as they understand what is expected of them at the beginning. For other languages though, being a moderator is handling the team at their respective language, so I agree that newbies should not be in that position, BUT if there is a person who is willing to train them alongside, then I think they should be fine. We do need people who are inexperienced to be experienced through training so they can moderate for more shows in the future. The general rule of thumb for me is if they are a QC, then I think they should be allowed to be one, but it depends on their experience.

1 Like

I think this is one part of the “What is a good moderator” discussion.
One part is the duties: the practical stuff one has to do, either we keep to a minimum (choosing the team, opening and closing episodes) or we like to do a bit more (editing) or even much more (communicating, mentoring etc).
The other part is the attitude with which these duties are performed. Which is very important too.

2 Likes

Just bumping a thread full of information!

2 Likes

Probably because of this reason I got rejected on my other account and even in this account previously but all thanks to an experienced cm she gave me the hope and now our language community is growing very slowly.

As I am disappointed completely that I’m getting rejected continuously I sent requests for multiple dramas(from project finder) with a hope of getting into atleast one. I sent her for 2 dramas, (you all know right? you don’t even know who are they just a newbie thing). And she even gave me some suggestions and guidelines and asked me to chose one because a newbie can’t handle two at a time And she is a busiest ce and cm here.
I really love cms who guide and clarify doubts

3 Likes

I think everyone does this at first and it is the main reason why you don’t get answers. Try to customize the generic Project Finder message to include your experience and stuff. I never use the Project Finder anymore, though.
Go to a drama and check whether it has Hindi subbers. If it doesn’t, you can message the Mod/CM/ whoever the cover page tells you to contact.

I also have a question. Does everyone read or even know about the Ninja Segging and Subbing Academy’s website? It has almost everything you need to know for volunteering!

3 Likes

probably all new bies use only the project finder. I only used it once but later I read and Explored several links that now I’m familiar with almost everything.im not using it now.
And kya yaar mein hindi wala nahi,mein Telugu wala, samjha?
Correct me If I’m wrong

I read it.

2 Likes

omo sorry sorry bhul gaya :sweat_smile: hamaare telegu raani, i will definitely remember now!

2 Likes