Embedded videos no longer allowed in fan channels

Attention volunteers! Another big change is in store for us; this time, we will no
longer be able to embed videos in our fan channels. I received this message from a Viki staff member just a few days ago, a little under a week until this change is to take place:

Dear Channel Manager,

Thank you for the time you have invested in making Viki the best online video destination for global content.

As we strive to bring you the best international and exclusive shows, we have recently received multiple take down notices from various content providers with regards to our Fan Channels.

As a result, starting next Monday, September 12, 2016, we will remove the ability to embed videos from other platforms to Fan Channels. This is relevant for new videos only, and we will not remove existing videos.

Please contact the Viki Community Team if you have any questions or concerns.

Best,

Emily

As someone who has worked on several fan channels in the past, this came as a big surprise to me. Fan channels were a part of what made Viki unique. Fans could create channels and start subtitling shows even if they were not uploaded by Viki. Because of this ability, many shows that otherwise probably wouldn’t have been subbed were subbed.

Considering Viki’s increased trend towards licensing shows, and the increase in copyright notices, I guess this change was to be expected. But it seems to me that fan channels as I knew them are now going to be a thing of the past. Everything depends on getting licensed.

3 Likes

The issue is discussed here:
https://discussions.viki.com/t/please-license-more-chinese-dramas/12250

2 Likes

Indeed a HUGE loss of a feature Viki had over Dramafever!
I absolutely hate it!

1 Like