Expiring Licenses

@juhli I don’t see it, can you upload a print screen? What browser are you using?

So when it says 07, it means till the end of the month, right?
I viewed the source for Good Doctor, by just right-clicking anywhere on the page and selecting “View Source”. (I’m on Opera). It took me to this window.
By the way, to view the source, if your browser doesn’t make it easy, just use this URL
view-source: (and after the column, without a space, just paste the URL of the main page of the show).
ex. view-source:https://www.viki.com/tv/20218c-good-doctor

Then I made a search (CTRL+F) with the word “2017”
and I found:
available_at":“2017-07-26T18:47:45.507Z”
Does that mean only till the 26th? Or was it the time when I retrieved the info?
Because down below I found this:
time this view was rendered in UTC raynor.timestamp = ‘2017-07-26T18:47:45+00:00’
Yes, it must be the timestamp.
Then I searched for the word “availab” which gave me both “available” and “availability”.
I did this for Queen for Seven Days and I found:

[QUOTE]
“availabilityStarts”: “2017-05-31”,
“availabilityEnds”: “2019-07-26”[/QUOTE]
Hmm, so they only bought a licence for two years for that one?
For Good Doctor, it was

[QUOTE]
“availabilityStarts”: “2013-08-05”,
“availabilityEnds”: “2019-07-26”,
“eligibleRegion”:
[{"@type":“Country”,“name”:“AE”},{"@type":“Country”,“name”:“BE”},{"@type":“Country”,“name”:“DE”},{"@type":“Country”,“name”:“ES”},{"@type":“Country”,“name”:“FR”},{"@type":“Country”,“name”:“GB”},{"@type":“Country”,“name”:“ID”},{"@type":“Country”,“name”:“IT”},{"@type":“Country”,“name”:“MY”},{"@type":“Country”,“name”:“NL”},{"@type":“Country”,“name”:“PL”},{"@type":“Country”,“name”:“RO”},{"@type":“Country”,“name”:“SA”},{"@type":“Country”,“name”:“SE”}],[/QUOTE]

I also had a look at some other shows. All of them say they are until July 26th, 2019.
This is FISHY. It’s not possible that they all end at the same date.
So now the question is, which information should we believe? The one written on the page source or the messages from viki to Channel Managers? On the other hand, some of the shows were supposed to end on July 16th and they are still there, at least for QCs.

All this being in the dark is very unsettling.

At least I just found Good Doctor on another site, so I’ll be, at least, able to watch it till the end, whatever happens. There are all those annoying popups and chesty Russian girls, but the moment the video starts, there are no ads to interrupt, so one should be thankful.

1 Like

I checked the source code for some channels as well and it seems like you can continue to watch Good Doctor on Viki at least until 2019.
I searched for “availability” and got this:
“availabilityStarts”: “2013-08-05”, “availabilityEnds”: “2019-07-26”

The “available_at” you found is more like a time stamp?

But newer and older shows were all available until 2019-07-26 so I would be too sure about the whole information (and worried about Viki after that date…)

1 Like

Exactly! As if Armageddon would come on that date and the world would come to an end.

Before the word “armageddon” becomes permanently linked to Viki… let’s consider a possibility that Viki’s codes might now work on a year-to-year basis. As in, they will be renewed every year. Perhaps that might even depend on the viewers’ interest in the show in the previous year.

My point is, anything is possible :smile:

1 Like

I got an email and the following is said:

Hi BapMokja and Haeppy Channel Managers,
CC: Channel Moderatores

We’re reaching out to let you know that BapMokja and Haeppy will be taken down soon due to a takedown notice from the content provider. Thank you for your understanding.

@cgwm808 could you please add these 2 channels, thank you :blush:

You’ll find it on every channel including fan channels and unlicensed ones. It’s possible they might need to renew something (domain? servers? something else?) or maybe it’s just a placeholder date they picked years ago and continue to use as a kind of “that’s the distant future” and they manually take down dramas as the licenses expire.

1 Like

Um… WOW?! I’d never thought to look there!

This thread. I swear, each time I visit, it’s a revelation.

That’s true. I haven’t checked any fan channels yesterday. So that’s kind of a dead end as well. (Though I find it interesting to see the licensed regions which were banned from the channel pages)
And actually now it says “availabilityEnds”: “2019-07-27”…

@rosaheyhey I only accidentally tried LOVE RAIN, which was kind of “not available in your region” for years, even for me as a QC, but now the videos run.

(Nobody should get scared since LOVE RAIN is not on the expiring licenses note)

I do not believe in the date, but anyway … What happens only viki knows, but I still would hope for some clarification on viki’s site. All around the situation is kind of messy.

1 Like

Yes, some clarification would be nice. They must have seen this coming when the three networks joined forces last November.
I think it will be hard for Viki (and even DF) to get licences from now :frowning:

Mhm, weird that you can access the Love Rain videos now, when so many other licences seem to be lost.
For me most of the dramas in the list above are still ok (at least they were licenced in my region before).

Yeah, something seemed off when I tried it with various dramas and they all gave me the same date for availabilityEnds. Seems like it’s an automatic counter for today’s date + 2 years. So I don’t think the dates are correct. But at least it says which countries the drama is licensed in…

Weird…I thought all those youtubers and viki had partnerships going on…

Well, today is D-day here in Europe. We’ll see what happens.

1 Like

I will add to the list!

1 Like

@mahoula – I have added KARA: Secret Love to the list

Now there is a general question. Yesterday I spent 17 hours editing on viki. Some of it was for my current jobs in on-air shows, but the great bulk of it was working on A New Heart (2013) and Beethoven Virus (2008). Not only sub editing, but extensive segment repair, plus going back to update name and place spellings in all episodes, sometimes unlocking and re-locking an episode more than once if I had forgotten something…
Then, just after getting up to go to bed, I stopped to think. What if one or both lose their license tomorrow?
Before committing to major work on older dramas, shouldn’t there be a way to ask whether their license expires soon or not?

9 Likes

Shining Inheritance also seems to have expired. Would you please add this as well? @cgwm808

@cgwm808 Today camille informed me that Doctor X (2013) and Doctor X(2014) are going to be lost as well

@irmar that’s exactly why I’m holding back working on a certain older Kdrama… I wanted to start working on it a little while ago but now with this expiring license spree I don’t dare to spent countless hours on it.

2 Likes