Favorite "Non-romanced-centered" Dramas

It’s actually my desire to see Legend of Zhen Huan in 720p and escape the verizon can you hear me now good commercials in mandarin 5x (I memorized the commercial while watching LZH) that drove me to become active on viki… I was like but I can only do Korean cry cry cry.

Saw that Marriage Contract, had fewest members on Viki for an on-air show (project finder failed me lol), and then… kept searching deeper for harder dramas to sub shows that I knew needed help. I found Queen Insoo, found LaCruiser, manager of that channel, who took me to Merchant Gaekju: 2015, who I ended up partnering with cgwm808 who is in charge of many many things, who asked me to help sub Goodbye Mr. Black. Then I asked to do Pied Piper and Memory because I liked them both A LOT and now I have maybe more projects than fingers.

So yeah! without things from China I wouldn’t be here! I’ve always liked viki for having the shows FOREVER AND EVER AND EVER. It’s the only place where I can find subs to Chinese shows.

I watched Mi Yue as a fan channel, but then no license :frowning: I did read recaps though. I seriously seriously wished I spoke mandarin… so pretty!!! I actually love plot twists murder, court drama and evil.

i know tech team is really busy, but if we had a “related shows” feature, I’m sure we’ll find gems we like faster!

I LOVE THAT SLOW SONG O.O
But I guess that’s preference :smiley:

Yes, Secretary Bong is my favourite in there, I just love that she isn’t the typically female depicted in Korean dramas…

Yess, I can’t wait to see how the plot goes on, I am just really torn between editing and watching because editing takes up so much time… I really need to continue with studying Korean because sometimes I am not too sure if what the subber translated from English is really correct (as in the English-German would be correct but it doesn’t feel like it fits the scene because there are 2 meanings in English for that particular wording) and then I need to struggle with trying to hear and understand bits of the Korean to know the correct translation…

1 Like

If you are unsure, you can always ask for clarification in the team discussion and hopefully someone wI’ll reply back. I always provide answers to OL subbers who leave questions on the dramas that I work on.

2 Likes

I liked to watch A tree with deep roots. It’s a historical drama about the invention of 한글. Also East of Eden, and What happens to my Family? the first one is truly a drama, becuase it’s abouth a birth switch and the second one is a tragicomedy. Al of these have some romance in it, but it’s not the main focus.

2 Likes

Lately, Pied Piper was great. It’s a police drama. The characters are well written.

1 Like

It’s not a drama but a film, but still… have you watched “Sunny”? It’s awesome!
http://www.viki.com/videos/1085925v-sunny

Ok im gonna listen to u and watch signal… I really recommend watching ‘angry mom’ it kimdahas romance But it s not centered around it which is one of the reason i really liked it. I hope u enjoy it like i did lol

I myself enjoyed for example White Christmas, Vampire Prosecutor, Criminal Minds when I got tired of the overly romanced dramas and more or less complicated love stories. They may have some romance in them but I wouldn’t say that they are romanc-centered.

Want the ultimate in non-romance dramas?

**Jingbirok: A Memoir of the Imjin Wars. **

You won’t find one hint of romance in the whole thing. :).

You will find a lot of history, war, and everything but romance. Very well filmed, includes an actual “turtle ship” and a lot of fascinating insight into Seonjo of Joseon in particular and the tragedy that truly was this war.

Crouching Dieter, Hidden Donut

1 Like

bad guys is one, Medical dr, dr qin, signal was awesome, I didn’t care much for the ending, why couldn’t the guy find that detective in a nursing home instead of him murdered at that time,

also. Gap-dong, was supposed to be kinda true story about 14 or so
women murdered in the late 1980’s. now, this is supposed to be non romantic right?

hmm, guess I am going to have to watch pied piper, as for nonromantic what about stranger and lookout? a fine line there I guess, I am going to have to look now… another one is special investigation team, I know viki had it, but is saying cant see it im my part of the country. interesting!