Finally going to South Korea. Going to the DMZ?

Hey, you can be a pro tourist guide :smiley: I have read some blogs and such, and you are really accurate!!! I donā€™t use debit card, so everything would be in cash (money covered). But if the ATM held my card, god, in Spain, I wanted to buy a metro ticket, so I went to a vending machine, and placed one euro IN THE CARDS SECTOR (yeah, you can LOL as much as you want) and I freaked out. I know, not much, an euro, just that. I wouldnā€™t let people use the machine, and the person in charge just kept looking and talking on the phone instead of helping me. And I was, like, trying to get the coin out, AND I COULDNā€™T, and I panicked, and I laughed, and panicked again and laugh again. And finally the holy man came after his 20-minute phone call and got me my euro out of the cards sector. And I bought my ticket and was all happy :smiley: If I lost my card on an ATM in Korea, I guess I would just die there :ā€™(

If your card gets stuck at the ATM you just call the bank with the phone there and then someone comes to open the ATM and give you your card back. And at the stations the vending machines have a help button you can press and then some really well known melody (was it Mozart? Beethoven? or? ) will start to play pretty loud so the service workers know someone needs help, if needed they open the vending machine too. There are also buttons you can press for help if a gate doesnā€™t open or you took the gate in the wrong direction. Then they open the gate for you to get out and the correct gate for you so you wonā€™t be charged twice. Happened to us a few times.

1 Like

WOW they are super advanced!!! Every time I go to another country, I am amazed at such advanced technology. In my country, Argentina, if you happen to have a problem, you should probably pray to God. Ok, not even that will work :sweat:

1 Like

hahahaha that sounded so funny(Iā€™m sorry). My niece (25) went to Spain to teach English to College students, and she went through so much hell, my sister had to go to check on her. She got ticketed for everything, even not carrying her passport with her!

Most of those tickets were $400 US dollars. They were dismiss after she came back home USA, and a Lawyer did all the work for her. cost? $0, it was her Dadā€™s personal lawyer. She wonā€™t do that ever again, it was a traumatic experience for her, sadly. She said that time stood still in there and little progress has been made.The place she stayed had no phones and they paid $1000ā€™s of dollar for the use of her cellphone.

Noooooooooooooooooo!!! Poor girl, really traumatic experience. It is true that Spani is very strict on certain matters, such as parking tickets. I almost get my car taken away (rented card, BTW). The men were there waiting for me, and I said, Waaaaait, Iā€™m leaviiiing. And I didnā€™t get the ticket. Maybe cause my dad is Spanish :smiley: llluuuckyyyyy. But tell her to NEVER come to teach in Argentina LOL if Spain was traumatic, here it is worse, unless you go to bilingual schools. I just hope there is not Argentinian fellow here hating me for saying all this XD

Speaking of funny, funny was to lose my mom in Prague. I confused the stops, and she got off the tram, and I didnā€™t. You should have seen her face, cause the forgot about the fact that it would make another stop in just two blocks. And she speaks NO English at all. Poor mom, I still remember that and I still cry with laughter every time I tell someone. She started running after the tram (as if she could actually catch the tram, Iā€™ll never understand motherā€™s logic), and was INSIDE, watching her all the time, LOLing soooo much, and people sort of stared at me XD

1 Like

hahahahaha poor mommy. At least, yours didnā€™t made a scene. My mother would have thrown herself in the floor and an ambulance would have to pick her up (she thinks she will never be found) Is a nightmare traveling with her. Love the way you write, so entertaining, funny and enjoyable. Are you a writer? If youā€™re not, look into it. I would love to read your adventures and learn new things through your experiences.

My grandfather RIP was born and raised in Spain. During the war went to my Island Puerto Rico at 18? to fight for his country spain. He fell in love with my grandma and the rest is history. He never went back to Spain so we have family there we never met (so sad).

About ppl from Argentina might get angry at you, I know for I went through that here at viki. I was talking to someone from Argentina about Spain (I didnā€™t know some Argentinians hated ppl from Spain and the person was rude enough in letting me know his dislikes for Spaniards and not to mention them to him/her).
I donā€™t see the need for that, but we have no control over that anyway. In my eyes, we are all brothers and sisters, and like brothers and sister sometimes we argue and fight but we always forgive and forget.

I donā€™t know how ppl could live their life hating so much. I have forgiven those who hurt me to be able to move on with my life. You are awesome rochis86

1 Like

Oooow :smiley: loved the last part!!

Now, to the rest.
First, Iā€™m not a writer, just have this way of retelling? But Iā€™m considering that. Someone told me that I should do stand-up LOL. Should I consider it? :sunglasses:
I love travelling with mom, sheā€™s so funny herself, and we always have such a nice time together. On one occasion, we went to see the glaciers in Calafate (south of Argentina). We were up in the bus (we had gone with a tour) and I wanted to take a selfie, but my face is just SO round, and I wanted to make it look thin. Yeah, well, try that one. And I started laughing. And she started laughing. And we started laughing. And the Spanish started laughing. And people got on the bus and started laughing (you should consider travelling with me) and then the coordinator came up and asked why the bus was moving so muchā€¦ LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL selfies are dangerous (?

Second, I personally have nothing against Spanish ppl cause my whole paternal family is Spanish (they came from Spain), so dad is Spanish himself (from Galicia, you can make all the jokes you wantā€¦ AND that explains my rounded face :D). Last year, I took my dad to Spain, we had a lovely time together, cause he told me stories since I was young, and actually being there and see what he meant when telling thoseā€¦ wow, you canā€™t imagine what it is like! Fantastic doesnā€™t describe how I felt. I cried when I saw the house he lived in.

Third, you are Puerto Rican, wow, nice to meet another fellow Latin American :smiley:

Fourth, how did we deviate the South Korean trip so much?

Fifth, and this has nothing to do with anything at allā€¦ In Prague, once, we forgot to bring money. Yeah, we made a mistake with holy mom and had barely enough to get by. SOOOOOOOOO there was this beautiful church we wanted to visit AND oops, no money. SOOOOOOOOO we sit on the stairs of the church (no, we didnā€™t ask for money, stop dreaming) and started counting our coins (yes, we did) and went into the church, and just give ALL coins (there were more than 20) to the cashier, and she looked at me and started laughing. And I was soooo embarrassed, like, this is SO not happening to me. And we visited the church and loved it,and I should definitely make a post with my experiences. There are others. I donā€™t know why mom and I cannot behave like normal ppl, beats me.

1 Like

I wish we could plan a trip together and my momā€¦ lol I donā€™t know about thatā€¦ but your mom sounds like a wonderful person to travel with she laughs, my mom fights lol. A pleasure to meet you through here and stand up comedy or a writer I know you will succeed in whatever you choseā€¦

Have a wonderful weekend!

1 Like

Hehehehe we can make your mom laugh, you never know XD A pleasure to meet as well, and thanks for the good wishes :smiley: the same for you!!!

Have a wonderful weekend as well!!!

1 Like

Thank you for all your information ^^ masp.me app realy was a blessing.
As for ATMs it helps for example at the airport to try the ATM right next to each other. One works while the other one doesnā€™t.
Since the original post started about DMZ. For Those who want to go: Ask at a tourist information to get a tour or at least the information if the train is even running. While I was there the train didnā€™t operate.

New changes are coming to South Korea, starting Jan 1st-4th, 2018, 59 countries travelers need to go through health check points when entering SK, also no more coffee or other drinks in portable cups on bus allowed.
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2017/12/119_241614.html?utm_source=dable

1 Like

I worked with an airline many years ago and fortunately was able to visit because of my pre-cleared security credentials instead of applying early for permission. Back then it was harder for South Koreans to have access to the tour. Believe me, itā€™s worth the trip. We were given a tour of the historical museum thereā€“many fascinating stories of the War. An interesting sidenote: the Japanese tourists with us on the bus were taken into a different side of the museum. When we asked whyā€¦our tour rep said that the tour notes were ā€˜differentā€™ā€¦given that it wasnā€™t polite to mention certain events in South Korean history that the Japanese were involved inā€¦for example the Korean ā€˜comfort womenā€™ that were used during the Japanese occupation for their war battlefronts were never mentioned. Back then, there were still a lot of hard feelings about the past. We were also allowed into one of the many tunnels that have been dug between North & South Korea for escape as well as espionage purposes between North & South (very claustrophobic & damp but it gives you a firsthand idea of the desperateness it takes to escape) We also had a chance to talk to the soldiers on duty at the Demilitarized Zone scanning the ā€˜other sideā€™ for unusual activities. They told us a lot about how hard the conditions were in North Koreaā€“stories about how hungry the people were, and that North Koreans had to put lye on their new gravesites to discourage others from digging them up for food. Truly, if you can take the tour itā€™s worth the time and effort. After all, North Korea is in the news for a reasonā€¦and given that South Koreans are not at peace with the North, but still only in a negotiated truce, then taking some time out of shopping & visiting Royal palaces would be not just enlightening but aso respectful to the Korean culture that we value so much in our dramas.

1 Like