Getting To Know Each Other

Ooh that is quite cool! I gifted my older wok to my brother-in-law and still need to find a replacement :sob: I miss cooking with a wok. Hope to find one soon.

Wow! Iā€™m impressed. That is a lot of languages!!!

1 Like

Thank you! :blush:

I didnā€™t know really where to put this, but I am going to take a chance here

today I watched a lot of YT specifically for more history, but I came across something that was weird but interesting, stuff China eats, some did gross me out, but there was some why not, I think it was called the weird things
they eat so I wonā€™t put all the different cuisine here. so I will ask you all, what weird foods we Americans eat that grosses YOU out??

2 Likes

Hmm ā€¦ as far as I know Americans donā€™t eat very weird stuff ā€¦ :thinking:
Of course as a vegetarian I am not a big fan of watching people eat meat or fish (especially those cooking shows where you get a close-up of the raw meat), but that happens in any culture, including my own, so Iā€™m kinda used to that.

1 Like

Fruit Loops and other fake food lab made addictive messes really gross me out. Things made from scratch with good ingredients taste much better.

1 Like

I beg to differ :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :upside_down_face: Iā€™d say the most absurd food in the USA is served at State Fairs, hence the name: Fair Food.

Why not start out with an order of Cherry Bombs (Red licorice dipped in batter, deep-fried and dusted with powdered sugar)?

Or, perhaps youā€™d like to make a meal of it with Deep-Fried BBQ, a side of Deep-Fried Avocado and a refreshing order of Deep-Fried Pepsi?

Do you prefer crispy style? How about a breakfast of Chicken Fried Hard Boiled Egg and Chicken Fried Bacon?

Feeling more serious? Get an order of Memphis Totchos (Sliced bananas and sautƩed bacon over tater tots, topped with peanut sauce.) or perhaps a Bacon Fluffernutter (Grilled cinnamon bun sandwich with a bacon, peanut butter and marshmallow cream filling)?

Need more starch? How about Irish Tater Kegs (Jumbo deep-fried tater tots made with a blend of corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, sour cream and potatoes drizzled with Thousand Island dressing, nestled on a bed of sauerkraut)?

Still hungry? Really? Okay, top all that off with a jumbo PB&J Bacon Pickle Dog (Large dill pickle rolled in batter and deep fried, served on a hot-dog bun, drizzled with peanut butter and topped with bacon jam.)

Oh, I almost forgot. Thereā€™s this thing where people crush up Doritos corn chips to make crispy breading that goes on corn-on-the-cob, which is then deep-fried, slathered with butter and topped with gooey nacho cheese. Ahem.

Seriously. This is actual Fair Food served across the States. Makes me think of seven year old kids daring each other to eat the progressively gross mixtures of food. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

6 Likes

Okay, you convinced me. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Did you try any of them? :thinking:

1 Like

I would make an exception for mosquitoes and cockroaches.

3 Likes

The Hawaiian pizza - ham and pineapple is 3000% plain wrong!
(although not originated from Hawaii, claimed to be invented by a Greek in Canada according to Wikipedia.)

Let me honorably mention Toast Hawaii, haha, as I learned through Wikipedia a mostly German phenomena, because it was broadcasted in a cooking show in the mid 1950ā€™s.

2 Likes

The Buddhist believe in all life is sacred but they also seek the middle way. So you are in fact maintaining balance as you wipe those blighters out of existence :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I view it as protecting my household and my familyā€™s health from enemies.

3 Likes

yuck! that even turns my stomach! didnā€™t see the fried snickers, funnel cake, and yeah have you tried
any?

Irmar, they have cockroaches, they breed them for food consumption! I see one in my house and I attack it with a vengeance! yuck!! food? really? I can handle snake soup(I think) supposed to taste like chicken
shark fin? if its Grissel maybe, in Florida they eat gator, how about Australia, kangaroo? here in Texas and please correct me if I am wrong, they have snake festivals not sure if they eat what they catch.

so in some way or other we are all strange. and I guess we could go a bit further on this.

oh yeah one more, that Hawaiian pizza how can they eat that? separate ok? I will eat pineapple any other way but pizza, and yes I tried it, didnā€™t like at all! and I love to eat pineapple, from a smoothie to cake to plain with topping of icecream or whipped topping

2 Likes

Not on your life! LOL :laughing: The absurdity of it all is what interests me, how much further can the deep-frying of anything and everything go? :exploding_head:

I am a health-nut myself, so that type of food is cartoonish to me. I did once try a bite of breaded, deep-fried corn-on-the-cob, but it was Panko, not Doritos breading. Iā€™m not that brave :joy:

@irmar Iā€™m with you, how can we be this advanced in our world, yet have not accomplished obliterating the cockroach and mosquito species?!

@frustratedwriter yes, I have even seen the fried candy bars, twinkies, etc. at restaurants. I canā€™t imagine eating this. Also, some years back the trend was a big, juicy hamburger, with fried onions, bacon, cheese, sauces and what have you - but then, instead of a traditional hamburger bun, they used two Krispy Kreme donuts!! You couldnā€™t pay me to eat any of this stuff! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve never seen any of those at our local fairs, but I never went looking for them either. I have seen plenty of fried things and the oil they use for frying is pretty disgusting. I avoid fair food as much as I can by bringing my own food in a cooler. Even if it means a hike back to the car, it is worth it.

I also avoid when I go, btw our state fair wonā€™t open this year due to that virus

What if your favourite Korean actor invites you for a real American dinner? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I would, of course, go into true K-drama mode, distracting him with questions, and when he tells me to eat, Iā€™ll answer with another question, further distracting him, then leave all of the food untouched on the table, the drink barely sipped, just as one does in the K-dramas. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Until of course he takes out his self-brought chopsticks and tries to feed you some of his deep-fried avocado! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Btw, I still have a hard time picturing what kind of condition the avocado would be in after deep-frying ā€¦ :thinking::

1 Like