Hallyu and Racism... Let's talk about it (as best we can)

I am assumming you missed out on season 1. In season 1, when there was nothing “racist”, he was a person from America who did know English as well as Korean but was fooling around saying he can’t speak Korean although he can understand it.
So, the people around him spoke to him in Korean and he answered in English from season 1.

2 Likes

I also feel the same. At the end of the day, the person who came with the idea is burried and the person who willingly/unwillingly implemented the idea is the one who faces backlash.

2 Likes

@shraddhasingh
No, I stopped watching season 1 bc they made Eugene’s role too dumb and suffering, so I stopped watching. She left all her fingerprints in the scene of a crime; when all she had to do was call the police.

Also, we can blame Writers, Directors, Producers all we want, but at the end of the day is the actor/actress that accept to play roles like this; what makes them have to take responsibility for their actions. Common sense should have told him they were going too far with the way that character was being portrayed. In no way, shape or form I’m putting the blame on him! it’s sad it had to be him (the actor) who’s getting the criticism but in my CASE I criticize the role/character, not the actor. I hope you get what I’m saying. Lessons learned and I hope it never happens again.

PS. I’m only writing about P3

1 Like

Here we are August 10, 2021. Racism and Hallyu at it again

This was hard to read and know how racist this drama is and we have viewers watching this crap and injustice. Drama in question: BACKSTREET ROOKIE
Excerpt from Soompi

From an offended viewer: ‘‘Also, Dal sik is just as problematic as it gets. He’s not problematic bc he’s dirty, he’s problematic bc it’s insulting to black people. Honestly, he’s just a koreaboo but for jamaica, so as a Jamaican, I don’t mind. But the flies coming out of his hair are just too much. Very disrespectful I feel as though they are saying black people are dirty because they have dreads or bc they don’t wash their hair every day. FYI different hair has different needs.’’

another offended viewer adds:

Dal Sik’s character is (in the first place) normalizing cultural appropriation (look at his hairstyle) and he mentioned JERKING OFF to drawings of women while creating his 18+ webtoon??? Do we have to normalize SEXUALIZING and MAKING FUN OF THE BLACK PEOPLE COMMUNITY?? As I am not black myself, I do not speak for black people, BUT as a non-racist person, I find my place talking and educating people on matters that are not nearly as okay.

2 Likes