Have Comments Always Been Done Through Disqus?

I think these articles would interest you.
It talks about how pending, moderation work for comments:

1. Moderation:
    https://help.disqus.com/en/articles/1717078-moderating-101

"Restricted Words

Any time a comment or name contains a word you’ve specified in this filter, it will go to the Pending queue. You may use wildcards by entering a .* , but be careful where you use it; for example, s.*ck will match suck, but also sock and stack.

Note: If a restricted word appears in the display name of an account, that account’s comments will remain pending until explicitly approved. Additionally, words are stripped of punctuation when measured against the Restricted Word filter, so adding “hell” will also set all comments containing “he’ll” to Pending until approved by a site moderator.

The restricted words list will also work for blocking certain HTML code."

1. Pre-moderation and spam:
    https://help.disqus.com/en/articles/1717074-dealing-with-spam

“You may choose to pre-moderate all comments posted on your site. All comments, spam or not, will require moderator approval before being published for others to see. Another option you may want to try is pre-moderating all links in comments.”

1. User reputation and whitelist:
    https://help.disqus.com/en/articles/1717171-user-reputation

"Why are accounts marked as low reputation?

Accounts may be marked as having low reputation for multiple reasons, for example:

• Posting multiple comments subsequently deleted by a moderator
  • Posting multiple comments subsequently marked as spam
  • Posting multiple comments subsequently flagged by other users"
  1. Moderation rules:
    https://help.disqus.com/en/articles/1765306-moderation-rules

"You can choose any combination of the following:

If comment matches :

• Contains link
  • Flagged at least 5 times

If user matches:

• Profile flagged at least 5 times

Then:

• Send to Pending
  • Delete
  • Mark as spam"

Disqus moderators can filter comments on the website by:
Screenshot_20200210-005539_Chrome

There are some things automatic due to Disqus system, so you might fall in one of the cases because of past comments since your first post on Disqus or because you posted a link (any link) or because Disqus system doesn’t recognize restricted words (like he’ll => “hell”) or spam accurately.

In French for ex, we could say: “Sorry for the delay from our part, since it’s holidays, our translators…”

“delay” = “retard” in French.
Or “shower” = “douche” in French,
“Arms” = “bras” in French,
“Small” = “Petit/petits” in French,
“Ace” = “As” in French with the “ass” pronunciation.

One of my friends got pending comments because of that. In our language, it is not an insult but a common word.
In English, the Disqus automated system would recognize it as insults.

That’s why we avoid using “retard” in French on Viki disqus comments.

PS: Somewhere in the articles, even Disqus system moderates “haha.”

3 Likes

I think i get pending notice mainly bc I refuse to agree to the terms, and I stopped commenting until just recently. This was 2 months ago.

angelight313_168 angelight313_168 2 months ago

It was finally approve before this comment was not here and I guess was deleted.

1 View in discussion

angelight313_168

angelight313_168 whack 2 months ago

The CM of this drama deval_chloe is so wonderful, and send a PM explaining when episode 5 and 6 subtitles will start, and that was very thoughtful of her. Thank you so much. Wish more CM’s were as considerate as you.

Hope is approved since praises need to be written/left there, as much as any criticism by viewers. I don’t understand why the pending approval notice.

This comment was also ‘‘pending’’ and was finally approved later on

angelight313_168 whack 2 months ago

Very thoughtful of the CM to send a PM about the availability/progress of the subtitles in the drama. No one has ever done that before, and I am very thankful for that.

More CM’s should follow that example. Caring and communicating with viewers may be extra work but in the long run, it will turn into having the utmost admiration for the team member at RakutenViki like deval_chloe.

Thanks again. I’ll be back… :slight_smile:

We including I don’t know a lot of things.
That is why we have to look beyond the appearances.

If you don’t use Disqus anymore, you can still use Timed Comments or this forum. Think you’re already doing that, so it won’t change a lot of your habits hopefully.

Hi, piranna I was bored today with my 4th day of “Official” statewide Lockdown & decided to check out some of the Discussions here and saw your post. I wanted to let you know that the Episode comments Section does still partially exist, but only in the Viki App And they have changed how to access the page. I posted a Step by Step on how to find it in the App & how to at least read your posts to dramas that were entered BEFORE Viki added the new Viewer to the site using your Disqus Post Log. Scroll the Main Channel Page at “the Untamed” and look for my comment that Starts: “ :hibiscus:if anyone else wants Viki to bring back the Individual Episode Page Comments Sections for WEB BROWSERS”. My discussion and Step by Step with estelll starts right BELOW that post. Please keep pestering Viki to bring back the Episode Comments to the Web Browser Pages. I hate jumping through hoops like this just to see the pages that I already left comments on.
Hope the post there is useful to you​:blush::hibiscus:

3 Likes

Thanks for the info and the tutorial! I’m more a silent watcher and watch most of the time on Netflix to be honest (thriller weak side, so…). Not that I don’t like Viki and support it!

@irmar will be happy to know that!

1 Like

Not really, I never access Viki from my phone. I have weak eyes and everything is so small. You can’t do everything either.
Plus I’m a very quick typist, and having to type on a phone, making all those mistakes because my fingers are too fat and always hit s instead of a drives me crazy. It takes ages to write something that I can type lightning-quick on a laptop keyboard.

2 Likes

Oh, then we both use the website version only!

Then let’s be happy that it works for others on the app and we know this piece of info :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, irmar, the tutorial I give at the Untamed does show how to find the individual Episode pages in the Viki App, but it also shows how to access the individual Episode pages ON YOUR WEB browser through Disqus it only allows you to read the old episode pages or the new entries that are made in the app. At the present. The post above the “tutorial” has a link to Viki Support where you can ask for them to bring the pages back to the Web Browser. I’m waiting for my larger devices to be repaired that’s why I’m stuck using my mobile devices ( and how I discovered where everything went when they started changing stuff around here.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) I like real keyboards & larger type Too!!

1 Like

Yes, I also discovered it because it happened that some people replied to my old posts and I could see these replies in the right sidebar of the browser, and reply to them. From there only. Because if I go to the Disqus page I cannot interact with my posts because Disqus thinks I am another person (why? It’s a long story. I’m still irmar, but with a different cat avatar, my Disqus self, not my Viki self, and sometimes it doesn’t let me go there with my Viki self although I’m logged in at Viki. Sigh! It’s been a problem for years).
Of course, if you click on the link of the page itself, it gives you the error message.

1 Like

I desperately want to have the episode pages with comments back too. I really miss it :sob:

4 Likes

This is a huge problem

1 Like

For some, others do not share this opinion, as they just don’t care.

2 Likes

I think maybe it’s time people started caring, about Disqus comments, about the products they’re buying, about the politicians that rule their lives, about the world… It’s not looking too great out there… Ehh… Too deep of a conversation for Viki?

2 Likes

I don’t know about that. Only, that I have little time these days for “big” discussions.
For me Disqus started to kind of not exist since 2-3 years already, with all the hiccups, whenever a new update to browser or security program ran, I just stopped using it, in addition, they just wanted too much data I wasn’t happy with.

That is another question that is coming up for me, since without Disqus you can neither use nor read the Team Discussions at the editor. So is there any serious need for a contributor who gives her/his knowledge for free, to sell their data for free as well?
I don’t like it, so as I said, I am not using Disqus, but of course that means even I had the time to work on bigger or on-air dramas, I couldn’t since a huge information source is just not accessible to me on conditions I want.

3 Likes

Do all sub teams use Disqus?

2 Likes

Well, about “use”, if you mean only use, I guess no. But the information which segmenter gets what part and that a segmenter is done, and the part is ready for translation …
Then most of the time. They often put other information like the names of the characters and the song lyrics and so on.

Because it would get messy most of the time, only the English teams use it, other languages take the information from there and use Google a lot and other channels to communicate.

2 Likes

Actually, that information can usually be found in the Team Notes, which luckily are not powered by Disqus.

As a Dutch moderator, I never once looked at TD. As CM and English editor I started using it… until it “disappeared” out of my editor about 4 months ago, after an update. It turned out the cookie policy had changed and I was now supposed to accept the kind of cookies I refuse to accept. Disqus is violating the GDPR by trying to force us this way, but no one seems to care.

Either way, I have kept on working as CE and GE for on-air shows without TD. The only thing that makes it annoying is the fact that others still use it and often forget that I don’t have access. Other than that, Viki has enough other options to communicate within the team. So if I had a say in it, Viki would say goodbye to Disqus for good.

3 Likes

You are right, Team Notes are accessible. I am only doing small projects, often there is not one note in it so, no use for it.
Yes, I wished I could just reject those cookies, but I am forced to accept them, and often if someone wants me to do something I do not like, I will just not do it.

3 Likes

That’s your loss. Very important translation points are discussed among the English team, things that are very helpful to Other Language translators. An Other Language translator or moderator can also ask questions, and the answers will be helpful to all others. I find Team Discussion invaluable and I have learned so much from it.

One can set one’s browser to delete all history and cookies every time the browser is closed. Yes, for a short while, those cookies are there. I can see it’s very important to you, so I cannot say anything, but I would never sacrifice TD for anything like that.

If anything is unclear to me as OL mod, I ask the CE or TE about it in a PM. If there is a matter that concerns everyone, the English team usually sends a PM about it.

That still doesn’t delete everything. Disqus is violating the GDPR by giving us no choice. I’m okay with functional cookies, not with targeting ones. And there is nothing in TD that can’t be done in another way.

2 Likes