How to report someone?

Hello !

Since I had previous problems, I wanted to ask how to report someone. Maybe this post could gather in one place good tips or lay the basis to know what is the quickest way to report someone and how to fill their forms because I was a little lost to know what to write in their form.

In my case, I wanted to report people who did either false segments, either false subtitles. And I am not used to report people and to fill their forms. And for other people, there are reports because they abuse of reviews or they insult others.

After my previous interactions : I have understood this
There are 2 ways to report people :
I. Report people directly on their profile using the flag icon:triangular_flag_on_post:
II. Report people using Viki help center/ Viki support ( https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/requests/new)
(III. Report people by sending PM to Viki staff ?)

My questions are :slight_smile:
:question:Q1. Can we do I, II, III at the same time or just doing I is enough ?
:question:Q2. Do many people have to report the same user or just one person reporting the user is enough ? How many people need to report the same user ?
:question:Q3. If it’s bad subtitles, can people from other languages join in reporting the user ?

I. Report people directly on their profile using the flag icon

:ballot_box_with_check: People told me it’s the fastest way to report someone.
I have some questions about their form

:gem: a. Inactive Channel Manager or Moderator

:question:Q4. Is 1 person enough to report in this case ?
:question:Q5. A CM or a moderator is considered inactive after how much time ? (I read somewhere it’s after 1 month for CM and moderator)
:question:Q6a. What does “inactive” mean ?
:question:Q6b. Inactive for one drama in particular or all ?
:question:Q7. The form says “Position you would like (ex. Channel Manager, All Languages Moderator, etc.; Write “N/A” if you do not want to be added to the team)” What happen if it’s the CM and there is no one who can / want to take this position ?
:question:Q8. What are compulsory things to write in “Additional Info ?”

:gem: b. Inappropriate segmenting

:question:Q9. How to fill "Timestamps of the segments ? Where do we look to find them ? And if we are not part of the team but we know that there are inappropriate segmenting, can we have Timesamps ? I don’t understand the rules.
:question:Q10. If there are too many videos with inappropriate segmenting, what do we fill in ?
:question:Q11. What are compulsory things that we have to say in “Addtional info” ?

:gem: c. Inappropriate subtitling

:question:Q12. How to tell the difference between 1st and 2th, 4th proposition ? (In this case,I put the 1st one because I don’t know what to put…)
:question:Q13. What are compulsory things that we have to say in “Addtional info” ?

:gem: d. Inappropriate Channel Management / Moderation

:question:Q14. Is 1 person enough to report in this case ?
:question:Q15. How concretely does “discouraging” others on participating mean ? Which actions ?
:question:Q16. How can “blacklisting” can be proved ?
:question:Q17. What are compulsory things that we have to say in “Addtional info” ?

:gem: e. Spammer

:question:Q18. What are compulsory things that we have to say in “Addtional info” ?

:gem: f. VIolation of Community guidelines

:question:Q19. Do someone use this kind of report ?

II. Report people using Viki help center/ Viki support

( https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/requests/new)

Compulsory things we need to say are answers from previous questions (see I. Report directly)
:question:Q20. What do we add as attachment files ?

(III. Report people by sending PM to Viki staff ?)

:question:Q21. Is it possible to try this way ? Has someone ever done this ?

1 Like

[quote=“piranna, post:1, topic:12616”]
After my previous interactions : I have understood this There are 2 ways to report people :
I. Report people directly on their profile using the flag icon:triangular_flag_on_post:
II. Report people using Viki help center/ Viki support ( https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
III. Report people by sending PM to Viki staff

**These are three :slight_smile: **

Q1. Can we do I, II, III at the same time or just doing I is enough ?

Frankly, I try to do all three if the case is serious and urgent.

Q2. Do many people have to report the same user or just one person reporting the user is enough ? How many people need to report the same user ?
The more the better. In the recent case of the Italian troll, there were more than 20 of us reporting him.

Q3. If it’s bad subtitles, can people from other languages join in reporting the user ?
If it’s about the quality of the translation, I’d say no, for obvious reasons. If it’s about adding dots and musical notes or other punctuation marks instead of text, then anyone can see it’s not good.

I. Report people directly on their profile using the flag icon

a. Inactive Channel Manager or Moderator

Q4. Is 1 person enough to report in this case ?
Yes, because it’s something that viki can see immediately if they check the person’s profile

Q5. A CM or a moderator is considered inactive after how much time ? (I read somewhere it’s after 1 month for CM and moderator)
Here I would be more careful. Sometimes they are inactive because they were waiting for licence, then the drama recently got licensed, you see the drama is there, you don’t understand why the moderator is inactive, while the moderator hasn’t been informed that the drama got licensed
Then it depends on the drama. Is it a popular recent drama, or a classic with very few views?All of us have a couple of classics on the back burner, which we work on at a leisurely pace.
So the answer would be different, and to be decided case by case, not giving a specific number of months or weeks

Q6a. What does “inactive” mean ?
That’s also tricky. For instance, you may not see any particular activity on the outside - the episodes are untranslated and this doesn’t change etc… But the person in charge might be sending messages here and there to recruit team members or nudging them to continue the job. Again, I would wait for at least 6 months before calling a CM or manager inactive.

Q6b. Inactive for one drama in particular or all ?
It can be for one drama or for all dramas. If the person hasn’t even visited viki for months or years, and don’t reply to messages one can say that they are not interested anymore, or they cannot because of personal circumstances. Someone can be very active on some dramas but inactive on others: I often see such people, having a huge list of dramas not even half done, which stagnate and gather cobwebs.

Q7. The form says “Position you would like (ex. Channel Manager, All Languages Moderator, etc.; Write “N/A” if you do not want to be added to the team)”
Usually if you take the trouble to write to viki about an inactive manager or CM it is because you would like the position.
If you report an abuser or a troll, obviously you want nothing, you only want him/her kicked out.
If you report bad subtitles, you may want the position or maybe not.

What happen if it’s the CM and there is no one who can / want to take this position ?
I don’t know the answer to this. Maybe viki takes the place of CM?

Q8. What are compulsory things to write in “Additional Info ?”
Links to dramas, screenshots etc.

b. Inappropriate segmenting

b. Report inappropriate segments.

Q9. How to fill "Timestamps of the segments ? Where do we look to find them ? And if we are not part of the team but we know that there are inappropriate segmenting, can we have Timesamps ? I don’t understand the rules.
Segmenters are taught how to name the segments. You name them by timing of the last vertical line. Each big line is a second, and the five small lines between the big lines are two tenths of seconds (0.20 seconds)
So in this example
the highlighted segment is after 02:15 but before 02:16. If you count the small lines, there are three of them, so 3 times 0.20 = 0.60. And we write: 02:15:60.
If you’re not part of the team and the Segment Timer is locked, then you have to ask someone on the team to provide the timestamps for you. Or, if you can really see from watching the video, you can put those, but then you won’t have the tenths of seconds

Q10. If there are too many videos with inappropriate segmenting, what do we fill in ?
We make a couple of examples and screenshots from some of the videos, and provide the link to the rest. Not a link to the main video page, but to the Subtitle Editor and Segment Timer so that they waste no time in searching for it. In my example, it would be http://subber.viki.com/subtitlers/217885?end_time=590000&start_time=0

Q11. What are compulsory things that we have to say in “Addtional info” ?
Nothing is compulsory. You may put some extra details if needed. For instance: “Those are only a few examples, there are at least 20 videos where this person has been doing this”. And of course, if you choose “other”, you must specify what other infraction the person has committed.

c. Inappropriate subtitling

Q12. How to tell the difference between 1st and 2th, 4th proposition ? (In this case,I put the 1st one because I don’t know what to put…)

Exactly. If you’re not sure, the 1st covers everything except of course the 3rd.
Translation software. If you know the language you can usually tell if it’s translation software. I usually catch them quite quickly. You have to go to Google Translate, input the English and ask for the target language translation. If the target language translation is the same that the subtitler has provided, then you take a screenshot of the google translate page, a screenshot of Subtitle Editor, including the name of the person etc., and include these screenshots in the report. **
N.3 is easy, no need to talk about it .
Deliberately adding incorrect subtitles. How do you know if it’s deliberate? Well, if for instance the person is copy pasting the same sentence in many subtitles, he/she obviously knows it’s not the right translation. But generally, apart from such a blatant case, it’s difficult to tell. To be on the safe side, choose n.1.**

Q13. What are compulsory things that we have to say in “Addtional info” ?
Again: they are not compulsory, you don’t “have” to say anything. You may add some details. For instance: “The moderator has repeatedly asked the person not to use translation software, and I am including a screenshot of the sent message, but the person did not comply/responded with insults/made fun of the moderator on his facebook page/started writing negative reviews (of which I am providing links and screenshots)”.

d. Inappropriate Channel Management / Moderation

Q14. Is 1 person enough to report in this case ?
Maybe yes maybe not. As a general rule, the more the better.

Q15. How concretely does “discouraging” others on participating mean ? Which actions ?
**That’s VERY tricky. As you know from my other posts, I believe in discouraging in some cases of people not qualitifed for the job. **
Actions can be a private message that you can copy paste, and include a screenshot of. But then it’s not “discouraging users”, it’s only “discouraging you”, and the moderator can defend herself saying your subtitles are de la merde and that’s why she discouraged you. If it’s a repeated behaviour for no good reason, and with an impolite language and style, and for more than one user, then you might have a case.

Q16. How can “blacklisting” can be proved ?
Short answer: it cannot be proved. I might, for instance, have a list of subtitlers on my computer, with the story of my interaction with them, where we worked together, my personal notes on each and some examples of their work to remind me, because my memory is not good enough. And yes, there might be some people in that list who are labelled bad. Supposing that was true, and that I had such a list, don’t I have the right to consider them bad and not to want to work with them ever again?. If you want to call it a black list you may, but you cannot prove I have one.

Q17. What are compulsory things that we have to say in “Addtional info” ?
Nothing is compulsory. It’s the details. How they discouraged you? Which comments did they delete? What is the inappropriate team name and why do you find it inappropriate (if it’s not self evident)?

e. Spammer
Q18. What are compulsory things that we have to say in “Addtional info” ?
The above is just a drop down list. But you have to provide details. How did the person spam you, what was the content of the spam etc.

f. VIolation of Community guidelines
Q19. Do someone use this kind of report ?
Oh yes!

II. Report people using Viki help center/ Viki support
( https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/requests/new)

Compulsory things we need to say are answers from previous questions (see I. Report directly):

Q20. What do we add as attachment files ?
Usually screenshots. Or, if you have copy pasted an entire conversation on a Notepad text document.

III. Report people by sending PM to Viki staff
Q21. Is it possible to try this way ? Has someone ever done this ?
Certainly! You can see nicknames of viki staff here on discussions and then p.m. from viki message page. But don’t abuse it, they are busy people. Only for urgent matters.

DISCLAIMER: These are my own opinions, nothing more.

3 Likes

Thank you, i had the same question with the point to inactive moderator.

1 Like

Thank you so much :heart_eyes:
I’m sorry if it was long and thanks for having the patience to answer to all the questions :grinning:
It’s clear for people who don’t know anything about reports and it’s clear for me too !
I’m not used to report people and while filling it, I didn’t know if I forgot to put something, if I could ask people help me report.
For inappropriate segments : we report if there are many inappropriate segments but how can we write many timestamps ? I can’t write more than 20 timestamps. What do people fill for this in this case ? I filled “Too many” because I was talking about segments in many videos and not segments only in 1 video.

:question: When we give couple of examples. How many is enough ? 2 or 3 ?
If the person has only done bad segs or subs on 1 video, is it enough to report him ?

Violation for community guideline : can you give examples ? I never thought of reporting for this reason because it’s vague for me. Categories a until e are enough clear but f for what can we report ?

Pm to viki staff : I mean not using @ because it would be public. But using pm mailbox on Viki so we can name the user. Can we do it ?
A more general question : for what can we @ them in discussion ?

2 Likes

For reference:
https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/200139034-Viki-Community-Guidelines-

COMMUNITY GUIDELINES

VOLUNTEER GUIDELINES
Members of the volunteer community on Viki must also follow the following Volunteer Guidelines.

Channel Manager Guidelines

Moderator Guidelines

Subtitling Guidelines

1 Like

Thanks for putting the community guidelines here !
But there are many points who are part of categories a to e.
And some points, we can’t report for example :
Manage no more than 3 on-air Channels at the same time
A newly approved Channel must have activity within 48 hours
I won’t report for this above.

So what can we report using Violation of community guidelines ?

That’s your choice, really.
And their choice to decide whether it’s important enough or not.
The “Manage no more than 3 on-air Channels at the same time” must one of the most violated guidelines out there.

2 Likes