I am NOT a Korea-boo, thank you very much!

What or who is a Koreaboo:
A non–South Korean person who has an unhealthy obsession with S.Korean culture so much they denounce their own culture and call themselves Korean or wishes they were Korean.
They usually are kpop fanatics (not fans) or fans of League of Legends or other competitive games popular in South Korea, about S.Korean stuff non-stop.
They will say stuff such as:
“I wish I was Korean.”
“I was korean in my past life.”
“I wanna have a Korean boyfriend/girlfriend.”
“I wanna have Korean children.”
“I think only Korean man are atrractive.”
“I’m korean on the inside.”
They may also think that they will some day marry their favourite idol (see also “delulu”*). They think Korea is the best country and despise other non-Korean cultures, even Asian ones
They could think that all Asians/Koreans are beautiful gods who are above the human race (see also "yellow fever:).
They may use small parts of Korean in their sentences (often in the wrong way) without caring about learning the language.
All this while disrespecting real Korean culture or glossing over those problematic aspects of it (such as the condition of women, the widespread racism etc) which would normally be uncomfortable to Western people. They pick and choose the elements of the culture they like.

“Jackie is such a Koreaboo. She’s American, she shouts ‘OPPA’ at random Asian men and tries to look Korean by glueing her eyelids down.”
“That boy over keeps calling himself Korean and all he talks about is Korean things, he’s such a koreaboo!”

What is NOT a Koreaboo

However there is a line; if someone just likes the music, language and culture they are not classed as a koreaboo. You are NOT a Koreaboo if you

• are interested in Korean culture
  • listen to Kpop music or other Korean music genres
  • watch Korean TV shows
  • make cringey jokes about Korean celebrities
  • are learning Korean so you can communicate with your idols, watch K-dramas without subtitles/not have to wait for subtitles or even to understand the music.
  • enjoy going to a Korean restaurant once in a while or want to try Korean recipes at home
    -want to live in Korea
    etc …

Etymology
The word “Koreaboo” itself comes from the term “weeaboo” (a non-native Japanese person who is obsessed with Japanese culture), which came about by chance in 2003.

Why is it problematic?
Both of these are problematic because they insist on taking make-believe aspects of Japanese and Korean culture and making it real. Koreaboos idolize Korean life from K-Dramas and Weeaboos take from anime. Admiring only certain parts of a culture (which most of the time are completely fake) can be insulting to Korean and Japanese people.

Testimonial:

I’m Korean-American and more than half the time, I’m filled with mixed emotions. From the people around me, many Korean-Americans (including me) will most likely say it’s cringe and annoying. Learning to use chopsticks/eating kbbq/liking kimchi LOL is all cool. But it doesn’t stop there. I’ve had people come up to me and ask if there are any cute Korean boys and if they can come. I’ve even been told that I’m not a true Korean because I don’t know the lyrics to their favorite kpop song. Honestly, if you want to learn Korean and want to practice, I would ask the person. “Hey, I’m interested in/am learning Korean. Do you mind if I can practice with you?” Whenever people came up to me and said this, I felt a lot more comfortable and willing than when people just say “ahn-nyeong-ha-se-yo” or “saranghae” or even like “omona,” “aigoo,” etc. Basically, the way people are speaking the language is extremely cringe. Idk. Maybe it doesn’t make you a Koreaboo, but it do be cringey sometimes

Some video compilations:

Delulu:

Summary

(from the Urban Dictionary)
A delusional fan girl/boy who believes they can/will end up with their favourite idol or celebrity and invest an unhealthy amount of time and energy into said idol.
High levels of delulus are found in the following fandoms: One Direction, Justin Bieber and various K-pop fandoms.
As the vast majority of them are teenage girls, their emotional maturity is almost always below zero and thusly cannot conceive the sheer thought of their idol feeling real human emotions and not actually belonging to their fans (let alone dating somebody who is not them). Delulus often attack at the slightest hint of criticism towards their bias celebrity and are rather vicious. Note: They also have trouble separating fantasy from reality.
Delulu is short for “delusional,” and it is often used by fanboys and fangirls to mock other superfans’ beliefs.
For example, a K-pop stan who believes they will one day meet and start a relationship with their favorite idol may be called delulu by other stans. Shippers who ship different couples may also call each other delulu, as they argue the merits of their OTPs.

4 Likes

@irmar,
Hmm, interesting. So it’s like unhealthy and unrealistic obsession of Korea/Korean people/culture, etc. These videos aren’t that good though.

3 Likes

This video is about weeaboo’s, but just substitute Japan, anime and manga with Korea, Kdramas, Kpop, etc. and you have a Koreaboo (Warning: some swear words).

A small story: a person heard me talk about anime a couple of years ago (which I pronounce the Japanese way). They came up to me, tapped me on the shoulder and said: “Excuse me, it’s actually pronounced a-nime (like mime at the end). I’ve been watching it since [year].” :woman_facepalming: :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming: That’s not how you pronounce it, but okay :laughing:.

3 Likes

I don’t know if how I pronounce it is the correct way, but I can say with certainty that I have never heard it pronounced like the above. They seemed quite confident, though. :smile:

4 Likes

I get it now.

I think I’ve met someone like that back when I was in college even before this term existed. There was a Caucasian guy who was in love with all Korean-American girls (or maybe it was all Asian girls), and he was so sad that no one would go out with him.

He had dyed his hair black and said he wanted to be like Korean (or Asian). If he had liked a certain girl who happened to be Asian, and asked her out, he would probably have a good chance because he was handsome and friendly and smart. But The problem was he liked girls ONLY BECAUSE they were Asians, not because of who the girl is, and no decent girl would accept that. I felt bad for him, and was surprised to find someone like who is somehow really attracted to Korean/Asian-ness to the point of denouncing his own identity/ethnicity.

5 Likes

Well certainly not like someone’s great aunt called Annie May? :crazy_face::rofl:

4 Likes

Regarding “boo-ness,” I have been further educated by @irmar, @feyfayer, and @ajumma2. Wow.

It seems to me that there is a lot of emotional insecurity underlying the unhealthy obsession people of non-Asian origins have with Asian culture and people. Ironically, they all seem to be relatively young and fairly uneducated about their favorite topic.

We all want to belong somewhere. We all want to be admired for being knowledgeable about a wide variety of interesting topics. We all want to be thought of as indispensable and irresistible and above average in some way.

I mean, it seems that way to me. I think that’s part of being human. But it seems pretty dysfunctional to feel so uncomfortable in your own skin, your own family, your own “culture of origin” that you ARE “delulu” about any other culture, group, or individual out of another culture.

I am not a psychologist, nor do I play one in a K-drama.

But it also seems to me that “boo-ness” is an attempt to cope with: a poor self-image, an inability to set boundaries (or have others respect your boundaries), and general social immaturity.

The “what is a Weeaboo” video is a reminder: you can have all sorts of roots in a particular culture and not “look” like you come out of that culture. If I heard the guy in the video correctly, he’s . . . Japanese-Australian?

Oh, well, that’s okay. Cause don’t Japanese people and Australian people both like shrimp? It’s okay for him to be both. Of course, he can’t have any children, because they would be Australian citizens. And then if THEY wanted to learn Japanese and go to Japan and marry someone from Japan instead of a nice Australian . . . then they would be Weeaboos, right?

Just kidding.

(Giphy)

3 Likes

This reminds me of the old discussion around ‘I’m half-x’, ‘part y’ etc. This old black, white and binary view. I’m a 100% a bunch of things, because I have a connection to the identity and can/do participate in what makes that ‘x’ an ‘x’. Same goes for Korea imo. If you can participate in all the things that makes an Korean, then you can call yourself one, not half or part korean. If that something is Korean Language and foods, or cultural events.

3 Likes

You have a common sense view that’s well expressed and easy to understand. Can I persuade you to run for public office? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually I’ve already done that in a support capacity (to help others to get elected with the help of your votes) ;). Although I have no interest to actually, just more work for no pay, at a time in my life where I’m already over worked with my current job. So you wheren’t too far off :smiley:

4 Likes

If I remember correctly, his mom is Japanese and his dad Hungarian (?), he grew up in Australia, but a few years ago he moved to Japan. This video was made when he still lived in Australia, I think. Information might be faulty, since I’m just recalling this from memory :blush:

No, they still can’t be weebs, since they have one Japanese ancestor. You can’t be a weaboo if you have that lineage (I think he said that in the video):sweat_smile:, especially not if that ancestor is a recent one (in this case, their grandma).

3 Likes

I have owned 3 Ferrets and man - they love stealing stuff and hiding it! Sweetest creatures on the planet!

1 Like

(From Hersheyland.com)

Here’s an idea. Why don’t a group of state-side Viki fans agree to meet at a certain place in a year, spend a couple of days hanging out, and then all fly (via some kind of tour package) to the Land of Kimchi and Eum Mun-Suk . . . and wear orange t-shirts with a humorous logo?

2 Likes