[Closed] I love collecting badges but...(To Viki)

Hi,

I’m a language Mod off two of these dramas and have been bombarded with requests since the news on kokoa or viki was spread.
The idea is not bad, the implementation with only four dramas more than bad.
I have so many requests to join the team and then immediately want to drop out of the drama once the subathon is over. It is more than unfair to those who are involved from the beginning. Without the badge, people would not ask to join the drama. And what use is it to have 20 subtitlers if half of them are not even able get the badge…
and also what is with the subbers, which are not part of my team and sub without my permisson? deleting will be tiring

2 Likes

My thought exactly. It is really unfair for the original segmenters. And I think this should be down to 3 dramas to share among the segmenters because DIE NOW is finishing up very soon.

2 Likes

I know how you feel… I translated songs years ago on Youtube (and I only used those where I was sure, I could use them…) and than my account got deleted. After my account was deleted, I found an e-mail telling me that Madonna made my account going closed cause she don’t like that I would use her songs withouth asking.But I never used her songs cause I don’t translated English songs… ^^ That was so weird. Later I opend a new account and reposted all videos, but people got mad at me like if I was someone else who stollen the work of myself and than this account got closed too and since this I only post translated lyrics for my Tumblr blog from that time on… the world is cruel and weird…

1 Like

Not only that, the teams are CLOSED already. That means they have ‘‘their favorite people,’’ who will have the chance to reach the 800 subs or segs. That happened with the Japanese badge too.

Anyway, I really don’t care for the badge but this is getting ridiculous.

1 Like

Per the update, it seems that 800 segs / subs on ANY Chinese dramas (or maybe even movies?) will give a user the badge. And then the other prizes will be for the top contributors (on the specified channels? during the two weeks?)

[WHEN] Feb. 19th 0:00 PDT - Mar. 2nd 23:59 PDT

[HOW TO GET THE BADGE] Contribute a minimum of 800 subtitles or 800 segments on Chinese titles to get this puppy on your profile.

[GRAND PRIZES] The top 6 contributors to the following 4 titles will receive special grand prizes:

Top 3 contributors: Prize packs of popular Chinese show goods (signed!) and Viki swag
Top 4-6 contributors: Prize packs of popular Chinese show goods and Viki swag

1 Like

Right. the change is ANY Chinese Drama now.

A reminder, as with any subbing or segmenting, PLEASE …ask your Channel Manager first AND WAIT FOR THE REPLY! WAIT TO BE ADDED TO THE TEAM!

Some dramas are not so easy you can walk in and do good work without some care and instruction!

As I see it with the rule change, the biggest issue now is getting OL teams to 800 subs. I will try to help mine, where I can on that part. :slight_smile:

GeNie of the Lamp the Elemental of Editing

1 Like

I meant “Not enough C-drama lovers to cover so much of a flood. Especially since among the bunch there will be some less good or more unpopular ones”.

Seeing you still take it to mean something else, I guess I should have worded it better. I will update my first post, to avoid future misunderstandings with other people who might read it.

1 Like

Okay. I’m gonna play the advocate of the devil here. So… basically, now, every Chinese title you work on, is eligible for the badge. Happy to hear me and many volunteers have a chance at it. BUT: grand prizes (top 6 and top 3) are only eligible if they participate at the 4 mentioned dramas? Same story all over again. As far as I understand, 95% of the seggers in those teams are already disqualified, since they completed more than 3/4 of the segmenting task, hence, not ALL of them will have the possibility to complete “the most” segments anymore.
Also, how about the OL contributors? What if the given titles are not released in a reasonable manner of time? That makes ALL of other OL contributors disqualified as well for the race to the grand prizes. Having said that, if this is a preferential race, where only SOME contributors are eligible, why launch it? It will only create animosity among the volunteers, and headaches to the CM’s and moderators, respectively…
P.S.: I’m not after the Grand Prizes. I’m not fast enough at typing, plus, I don’t have the given time to make thousands of subtitles, to top the best volunteers and get that prize. But I happen to know 4 or 5 Romanian contributors who are brilliant, who would make it to the Grand Prize, if they had what to work on… Viki, maybe you should indeed allow more titles in this area as well. You’d be surprised how many dramas would go forwards if you do this…:slight_smile:

8 Likes

In other words what viki did is a band aid on our “bobo”, but it’s still not a fair rule because how it is selective and really limited!

Hi! to you all :relaxed:

I think Viki should choose more Chinese dramas for us to contribute so it’s fair to everyone who is interested in contributing. There are other Chinese dramas that are behind and they are not even considered here.

The 4 Chinese dramas that were chosen for the Lunar New Year Subathon 2018 February have been already segmented or segmenting team is closed. So segmenters who are interested will step aside.

I really hope Viki Team might consider give us all a chance to participate on other Chinese Projects too.

May you all have a nice day!

Hello Philar,

The competition has been updated to include ALL Chinese dramas :smiley: The only issue is that you need to contribute to the 4 specific ones in order to get the top prize.

2 Likes

Thank you for letting me know. I just saw the updated version. :grinning:
It’s now fair. Everyone will get a chance to win a badge at least!

1 Like

GLAD to see that ALL CHINESE TITLES are now included in this marathon.
Thank you for listening to us!

3 Likes

Do for this badge series and movies from Hong Kong and Taiwan also count or really just only China?

Hi, apparently it’s only for Chinese Titles because it’s the Year of the Dog in China and this badge is the puppy.

1 Like

Actually, this applies to all Chinese communities, not just Chinese in China, although it’s undeniable that the majority is from China (or has roots of origin from there). This applies to Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Korea, Vietnam, US, UK, and so on, although there are/may be cultural variations in the (lunar new year) celebration itself.

Looking at the 4 titles listed, they are all from China. That perhaps may infer only titles from China are applicable for this subathon (grand prizes). But that again becomes inequitable. On the basis of this lunar new year celebration, Viki needs to clarify and be clearer (i.e. negate the ambiguity), and perhaps hopefully include all other Chinese titles (dramas, movies and/or variety shows) outside of China.

The subathon activity as a form of motivation is a good thing. Kudos Viki!

2 Likes

I really wanted to join this as it is my year this year… If it’s gonna be good no idea but ok.
But I think it will be hard to find a segging project and I don’t want to commit myself to subbing.

And yes I find it unfair too that only those 4 projects might get your prizes as the teams are already formed and many already contributed a bunch before this event. It’s more fair if you just look at the totals of people on these projects and then grand them a prize meaning don’t look at the date but solely at the total contribution count on the project.

And to be totally fair don’t work with a list of 4 drama’s but look at all chinese dramas.

4 Likes