If Google Translate Is Prohibited [SOLVED]

You don’t get “language badges” for segments. They specifically say you need to make 300+ subtitles to get those badges. There are, however, “genre badges” for content from a few countries, which users can get from either subtitling or segmenting contributions.

[Edit: See language vs genre badges: https://www.viki.com/badges]

As for users with many language badges, I don’t think it’s weird that someone would get suspicious. But just like you can’t say that no one can rightfully get 3+ language badges, you can’t make a blanket statement that everyone who has all those language badges got them because they know all those languages. I’ve definitely come across at least one user who had multiple language badges who didn’t know all those languages. It really is a case by case thing, so if you do see that the actual subs are kind of off for any language, reporting them isn’t out of the question, I don’t think.

3 Likes

You will get those language badges if you sub dramas from different countries. As I sub from english to german and chinese, japanese, taiwanese, korean and thai dramas, I have bagdes for those languages. This does not mean, that I speak these languages as well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You must be talking about GENRE badges:

While the original poster was talking about LANGUAGE badges:

4 Likes

Using google translate is a huge problem here.
I’ve seen so many users using this and making the worst translations ever.
Viki created a botton for us to report those users, but the problem is: Viki doesn’t do anything about it.
I’ve reported so many people, but nothing happened to them. I’m really frustrated. :confused:

4 Likes

Wow, Xomachi,
I have to disagree with you respectfully because I only speak English, but I segment in many different languages. I find it so interesting to hear different languages when segmenting. When I get to a certain amount, I get a badge in that language. I know others who segment get the same as many have said here as well. I have segmented with you on many shows. I normally see you in Chinese and Korean. But it is my experience that I get credit in a language when I have segmented in that language. I have one in Thai, Chinese, Korean…, but I don’t speak those languages. I am glad though because as you know, segmenting is different for each language and you get experience segmenting in those language. I am very grateful that viki does that for us.
Again, respectfully.

3 Likes

Ahhh, I think you hit the nail on the head. Thank you for the clarification.

1 Like

So what is true? I am confused. Do you get LANGUAGE badges if you segment in those languages? Or not? I’m really curious. Unless this has been appropriately answered, the question is not “Solved”. Well, I know a good way to find out. Wait until I’m a segmenter Ninja, I’ll go and work exclusively on a particular language (one I don’t know) and see if I get a badge!

3 Likes

I fully agree. One cannot rely on Google Translate (on its own). In particular, not for translation of sentences in Chinese, Korean and Japanese languages due to the sentence structure (besides other issues). Often, you will get the opposite or gibberish meanings. That is why human labor is greatly needed. There is currently no machine translation software that can replace a human translator for any of these aforementioned languages.

Personally, I doubt if one can be created/invented due to the complexity of these languages. But, never say never. There may come a day when a miracle will happen :slight_smile:

7 Likes

@irmar I’m almost positive you don’t get a language badge for segging because, for example, I’ve segmented in a Chinese drama; I did NOT get a Chinese language badge, but I did get a Chinese genre one. But to answer the original question, I’m still not sure. I decided to put “solve” on it because I didn’t want things to get heated.

4 Likes

Let me tell you that with Google Translate you will get really hilarious results in ALL languages. My children and I used to have lots of fun with it in the past. Now, whenever I catch one of my subtitlers doing it, it’s not funny.

3 Likes

I like your positivity :joy:

1 Like

Today I learned there are people who copy and paste lyrics into the editors every ep all eps.
So one does not need to speak the language at all correct?

Personally I skip OST unless I like the song. Quite annoying hard to hear lyrics at times. Background music too loud. I kinda brute force my subs anyway. My lyric translations look nothing close to poetic. However I do do the first attempt. An editor usually cleans up after me (spoiled).

2 Likes

@sophie2you I’ve had some fellow Vikians just ask me how to handle a situation where a user with over 100k subtitles is using google translate. ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND. I also had to talk to someone on one of my channels… Very common right now. :unamused:

3 Likes

Mass reporting with screenshots could be a way.

1 Like

Always report those people to Viki with proof and ask people to do the same… Yes they might not deal with all reports as it seems it isn’t a priority for them (which is a shame) but when enough people report they can’t ignore it any longer and should make it a priority.

6 Likes

Hmm…I don’t how other languages do it, but the general practice for Arabic subbers is that the moderator translates the OST and puts the lyrics on the team spreadsheet. The rest of the team members just copy and paste them when needed for the sake of consistency.

But are there Kor-Eng subbers who only sub lyrics? For a drama, that might be hard to get away with, but for a show like Pops in Seoul, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Oh there is a user who doesn’t speak an ounce of another language besides his native and English. He does this goes to every show and pastes the lyrics. You can hear them and know where they go. Their subbing is all this kind of thing.

We also just do it once and paste into team notes. I might go look at the lyrics if I like the song and tweak if I want. Usually we leave it. On cgwm808 works, cgwm808 herself does it! I just actually personally skip OST and hope someone else does it. I’ve taken to just watching the darn show without subs and then subbing the really hard stuff (like 20 segs or less) and then editing.

1 Like

I hate translating lyrics. I’m so nitpicky when it comes to word choice that it takes forever. Thankfully I got to work with an editor who enjoys translating lyrics so she did without me having to ask.

In the team of spanish is depend of who is the moderator, but in the teams that i contributed the moderator put OST before of all the people have to subtitle.

1 Like

I’m sorry if your question wasn’t answered properly . You get badges depending on how many subtitles you do make. I got badges starting when i made 300 subs in a language (can’t recall which one) while doing a classic drama subs. In segmenting I had to do 1,000 before i got a badge. I subtitle in 2 languages English/ Spanish some people only sub in spanish (for the hearing impaired) bc they don’t know English. Becoming a qualified contributor is based on certain amount of sub or segs you do. This are my numbers so far. If you are just starting work in FAN VIDEOS which are less stressful. In current dramas there is a time frame to sub. i worked in one i got the go at 12 am when i was ready for bed so is a little stressful sometimes GOOD LUCK!
Qualified Contributor

Segmenter (1000)
Segmenter (1000)

Subtitler (10000)
Subtitler (10000)

Classics (300)
Classics (300)

Telenovela (1000)
Telenovela (1000)

English (10000)
English (10000)
Spanish (1000)