In Need for Latin subtitlers!

:rofl:
I think maybe it’s when Jeslynl wanted to pin some topics on top of the page, something was undergoing some changes. I don’t really know, but I didn’t have this problem earlier this morning, but is it all right for you now? I still don’t see the Latin XD

You made me review History by seeing maps and I’m still reading about the Holy Roman Empire.
I don’t know why in other languages it’s called Holy Roman Empire, Heiliges Römisches Reich, Sacro Romano Impero and Heilige Roomse Rijk or the First Reich.
In French, it’s called the Germanic Holy Roman Empire. Why is it different in French?

I wonder which language German people were talking at this time? The French language is built on Latin, but what about Germany?? I read High German, Low German… But before High German, what was the language?

I don’t see it in the public discussion, since I used the “x” to close, but in a private one, it shows for a few seconds, whenever I write a new message

Any German dialect, and almost all languages close to the borders, Latin as well in Middle Ages … We must consider that this period lasted about 1000 years.

2 Likes

I know “Holy Roman Empire” only for Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation. The other empire was the Roman Empire.

German ist part of the germanic languages of the indo-germanic language families. Italian, French and others are part of the romance languages between the indo-germanic language families, based on Latin. Other germanic languages are the Scandinavian l., Icelandic, Dutch, Swiss German and of course English. Whereby English derives from Anglo-Saxon, because it originated from these two languages. Standard German is also based on Old Saxon.

While the Roman Empire our ancestors spoke Ur-Germanic or some Ur-Germanic dialects.

There are much more languages between the indo-germanic (or indo-european) language families, for example all Slavic languages, Baltic and Celtic languages, Greek and so on. But we have non indo-european language families in Europe, too. While Finnish and Estonian belong to the Finnish part of Finn-Ugric languages, Hungarian belongs to the Ugric part. And we have an isolated language, too: Basque. (Korean should be also an isolated language.)

I guess the Tower of Babel (Babylon) was perhaps sought because of Europe ;-).
Disclaimer: Scientificity is not guaranteed.

2 Likes

Maybe you can ask Jeslynl. Last time I used the private message in Discussions was at the beginning of this week and it was fine.

Thanks to both of you! I will sleep with a head full of things to digest :slight_smile:

LOL Will there be a day where we will all speak English??

Icelandic is also a Scandinavian language. :wink:

1 Like

But of course.
Some days ago, we tried to count all european languages. There were 39 at 10,5 mio square kilometers, I’m not sure we caught everyone.
(In the comments below the YT video “Dragostea Din Tei”, the first non-English/non-Spanish - but latin-based language :wink: - speaking super hit.)

1 Like

The only song in Romanian I ever heard on Dutch radio! :slight_smile:

Hard to count all languages, though, I would say. There’s the official ones, but also the more hidden ones that might go by unnoticed … Did you make a list?

1 Like

Since I replied to the comment and added 14 languages, here the C&P:

"Europeans: we’ve got Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, English, German, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Russian, Polish, Norwegian, Hungarian, Luxembourgish, Finnish, Greek, Turkish, Slovak, Slovenian, Irish language, Albanian, Estonian, Maltese, Czech, Bulgarian, Macedonian, Icelandic, Lappish, Lithuanian, Latvian, Basque, Swiss, Croatian, Sami, Romani, Bosnian…Romanian

Americans: But is there something that all of you can understand tho?

Europeans: "

(by James Blue + …)
“Swiss” meens Swiss German

Sill missing: Scottish, Welsh, Serbian, Romansh l. (Swiss) …

1 Like

Low Saxon, Catalan, Ingrian, Votic, Karelian …

1 Like

Before I’ll be punished:
Ukrainian, Belarusian

:rofl:

1 Like

How could you forget?! Shame on you! :policewoman: :rofl:

1 Like

Speaking of Belarusian …

1 Like

hola me gustaria ayudar , y pues tambien soy latina

oh you do !!

1 Like

Hi! I would like to subtitle. I can speak spanish, portuguese, french and english. Let me know if there is any work
Thanks

Hi!!! I’m interested!!! I can translate from English to Portuguese!! If you need my help let me know :slight_smile: I’m very helpful to be honest hahahah tks <3

afbeelding

HI there. I really want to help. (English into Spanish). Just let me know. Thank you