Jobs for Viki staff at Discussions

Yes but you had discussed this issue at length on another thread, and you could have added as much as you like there.
This thread, though, was meant to be a list of issues that Viki staff needs to address: one that they can regularly check to quickly see if there is something urgent they need to act upon, instead of having to search a great number of useless threads (and OMG there have been dozens lately, by badge-hungry users who obviously have nothing else to do because of the summer school vacations!).
You have completely hijacked it, in order to return to talking about the role of Viki staff, about who calls the shots and the stance of Viki towards its users. I get it that it’s important to you and I agree that it’s surely an interesting discussion, one that needs to be made. Just not here.
That’s my personal opinion.

5 Likes

I apologize for trying to understand and failing to understand. This is obviously a thread that I have not been able to contribute to. Because I retain a great amount of skepticism about Viki’s overall concern for Viki fans, it seems I cannot focus meaningfully on practical things that would benefit Viki fans, especially volunteers.

At this point, I know the world of Viki primarily from the perspective of someone who, truth be told, cares less about how things work than about the end result of whatever is going on behind the scenes. And when I hear that there are yet more delays regarding simple issues (or what I perceive to be relatively simple issues), my innate cynicism about corporate and administrative promises emerges.

On the one hand, I have skills and enthusiasm and and high standards. On the other hand, I have very little in the way of practical understanding, experience, or diplomatic skills.

I am, I think, somewhat more than a month into learning my way around English-language subs. In every job I’ve ever had, it has taken me six months of on the job training before I stop exasperating the most experienced of my co-workers. And it has always taken me about five years before I can say I really know my job from the inside out.

So, at this point, it’s probably not a good idea to conflate my deep interest in Viki communications of all kinds with any practical ability to advocate for change using them.

I will try harder to wield my mop and pail when it comes cleaning pre-subs, and I will try less hard to “understand things.” I am (in addition to being a great maintenance maknae) at the top of my class in overthinking.

Again, I apologize.

2 Likes

I wonder if I am the only one who has problems with reading “apology letters”, maybe because it is not a German tradition. Anyway, I might have tried to stop you earlier, but as I stated, when I read your first comment I was:

• sick
  • just had taken 2 paracetamol
  • my throat was almost killing me
  • I was frustrated because I just had one day that I felt good after 10 not so good days and now again another health issue

My thoughts in this state were at least as one track minded as yours but we both were headed in different direction, me the short information, done, collect the data, done, send it over to Viki staff.

And looking for more untouched topics/problems, really analytically, only as you said volunteer work and communication related.

So, when I read your comment I couldn’t even go through it, with my one track volunteer mode - I was, what is she talking about, and I wrote that I need to read it later, when my head is clearer. I am honest, I still have not read it. I didn’t have the mind set, time, nor the power of concentration.

I feel, I have written at least as much as you in one of your comments LOL, but feel apologetic too, since I couldn’t pay attention to it as you might wish too. In between, my mom came around every 5-10 minutes, we will see if what I wrote makes actual sense to you.
So now I am off, I had to talk too much, I even had to shout, so my throat is finally killing me, I might make it another half an hour without medication, but will surely take one before I go to sleep.
Until then, don’t mind me, maybe I will make a reference next time: Only work related - not up for discussion - could that help?

1 Like

Outright apologies were not a part of my family tradition as I was growing up. Sudden appearances of special food or a decision that we should all go to the movies . . . those were signs that it was time to move on and focus on other things.

However, I learned a long time ago that, when people point out where I have gone off track and why, the most useful thing I can do to promote better communications is acknowledge that.

As a very right-brained, global-thinking sort of person, specificity is always very helpful to me. I have no problem with having things clearly pointed out.

I have a very lovely German neighbor; she grew up in Bremerhaven. When life in the neighborhood we live in goes wacky (weird weather, kids making too much noise in the streets, the Water Bureau suddenly deciding to rip up streets and replace sewer pipes), we both agree that “ordnung muss sein!”

And that is true of Viki as well. There’s a time for creative ferment, and there is a time for housecleaning, and sometimes it’s not terribly obvious to me which is which.

2 Likes

I understand where you’re coming from, and you don’t really need to apologise. As I said, the conversation is useful and meaningful, I was just suggesting you take it where it was already started, to keep this as a list of jobs - probably just day-to-day little issues.
I am as skeptical as you - I would venture to say even more - about important changes we need in order to make our life easier here. Because I’ve seen time and again that they don’t listen to us. I wouldn’t really put such things here - even if technically this is their place. I have written them so many times and it’s been years, so in my opinion it’s useless (although I would never discourage others from stating their requests). But the little glitches such as “subtitle count not updating”, “watching history not working”, “there’s an abuser who needs to be scolded/banned”, this kind of little bugs of existing features, they do take care of.
That’s all, nothing more and nothing less.

6 Likes