K-Dramas Needing Licenses (2017 Edition)

You’re absolutely right. We are still waiting on “Moon Lovers,” “Drinking Solo,” “Let’s Fight Ghost,” “k2,” “Cinderella and Four Knights.” I’m sure I’m forgetting some but their exclusive deal with tvN keeps the license on their side as exclusives for a while after airing.

Viki needs to do the same. Get the exclusives like they did with “Moonlight Drawn by Clouds” and “Shopping King Louie” but keep the exclusive after it airs for some time. Viki’s license allowed the other site to get these two dramas as soon as they finished airing.

I’m very disappointed that they got “Missing 9” from MBC. I hope it’s not a pattern. There’s more competition now with Netflix getting into the mix.

3 Likes

I’m so happy ; I quote Viki on fb today > "We are getting Saimdang! "

Drama link here: https://www.viki.com/tv/25434c-saimdang-lights-diary _ But I hope the licence will be for Europe !

1 Like

They announced “Saimdang” about a month ago. If you go to the drama’s page and it says " 13 Days" then it is licensed in your region. If it says, “restricted,” then it’s not. Viki doesn’t announce, publicly, license regions anymore.

2 Likes

The Package with Jung Yong Hwa and some other people.
They say it’s going to air in April-May.
https://www.viki.com/tv/32164c-the-package

I get “Sorry, this content is not licensed for your region.” for Greece. Is there a point to submit a request, I mean, do they add countries after they get the license?

I forgot about this tread. Who wants to see this drama, I do and many more as well, perhaps you can spread the word, thank YOU for sending license request!
https://discussions.viki.com/t/can-you-help-getting-licenced-perfect-wife-kdrama/14370?u=simi11
Update: Viki obtained the license!!

1 Like

I’ve noticed that all dramas show that notice before the license. And it makes sense, since they don’t know yet whether it will be licensed for a certain region or not. The moment it’s licensed, the notice goes away.

Not all dramas show that notification, some just show “no episodes available”. Anyway, does Viki add countries after they get a license, does it make sense to submit requests for more countries for an already licensed drama?

1 Like

That’s an excellent question! People are encouraged to ask. So maybe if there is great demand viki will listen?

Then there is the question of other websites. Some other websites may get the exclusive license for other countries only for a certain time, for instance, until the drama is fully aired. Then viki, if there is demand, can ask for it too.

I would like to see these dramas on Viki: “One percent of Anything”, “Seven First Kisses”, “Night Light”.
I wonder why the first two don’t even have a channel.

1 Like

“One Percent of Something” is an exclusive on the other channel. Maybe the license is so exclusive that Viki may not get it, so no fan channel was approved. “Seven First Kisses” just may at a later time, but who knows. “Night Light” is a Netflix exclusive. Since it is Netflix’s first licensed drama, who knows how long they’ll retain the exclusive.

It’s to bad…I did want to watch “One Percent” here, but no luck. :frowning:

2 Likes

You can watch Seven First Kisses on YT.
I did watch part of it and I can tell you it’s so stupid that I wanted to scream at myself at watching even those few episodes that I did. It’s basically an ad for Lotte stores with a flimsy plotline and mostly very bad acting. Even the real actors in there looked embarrassed, as if their agency told them “you cannot refuse this, we’ll get in trouble with your sponsor”. As for the leading girl, it is better to keep a merciful silence and not say anything about her.
Go and see by yourself if you don’t believe me.

2 Likes

updates: 13 hrs ago I received an email to support this channel, I guess some hours later Viki then got the license or whatever happened on the way to come here… :grinning: :sunglasses: ~ this is not the first time I have seen such happening, yay for the license!! :fireworks:
Who doesn’t like Time Travels, this is not a kdrama but a Movie, help supporting the channel and sending license request for WILL YOU BE THERE? Recruiting is open as well contact:
https://www.viki.com/users/kpopessence

https://www.viki.com/movies/30677c-will-you-be-there

1 Like

The movie is already licensed. There wouldn’t even be a channel for it if it were not.

Not true. A channel is approved, so that the CM can ask people to ask for the licence. It doesn’t mean that the movie or series is licensed.

1 Like

The movie is under “Coming Soon”, so it is indeed licensed. And according to my obeservations, channels for movies get never approved lately unless they get licensed, this is what I meant.

1 Like

Ah, is there a different way of doing things for movies, then?
(Because for series it’s definitely not like that)

I do hope that viki brings more movies. Although most of them are either very dark or they finish tragically. I don’t know why filmmakers think that sad = more artistic.

1 Like

the miraculous mystery of how Viki works… it appears to be licensed with 47 likes and no cv brand new! :gift:

2 Likes

This sounds like something I would say, but 10 times funnier. :joy:

Has anyone submit a channel request for **The Liar and His Lover**? I don't know if it'll be any good because the female lead has never acted before, but I miss Lee Hyun Woo
2 Likes

Want goo hye sun drama you are too much to get licensed.