Kdrama things that make you go 'WHAT was THAT?!?'

I don’t know if anyone else commented in this thread about this strange thing in a lot of K Dramas – how the camera pans to feet walking ever so slowly and to hands – clutching in anger, rage, nervousness or during hugging and kissing scenes

2 Likes

Oh, I don’t know about that we British quite like toilet humour. Korea , please feel free to use as much toilet humour as you like :stuck_out_tongue:

We British might seem quite sophisticated, but you’d be surprised what goes on in the average British household :rofl: British humour is also very self-deprecating, but most Europeans know this already.

5 Likes

So that’s we’re Korean script writers got their inspiration! :stuck_out_tongue: :rofl:

3 Likes

OMG irmar! That’s so funny about hiding the surgery scene with Notepad!

I couldn’t watch those scenes either so I had never watched any medical dramas, Korean or non-Korean, until I was “forced” - ok, persuaded by my Viki friends - to sign up to sub for Golden Time back in 2012. Wait, has it been that long since I started subbing?! Geesh!

Anyway, I could not watch those surgery/bloody/gory scenes but I had to sub so I literally put my left hand over that part of the screen to cover the scene and only used my right hand to type during those scenes. Since then I’ve subbed several other medical dramas and I got used to watching those. So now I can watch them without any problem. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yea. It’s funny but I am not squeamish at doctor/surgery stuff. Probably because I was raised by nurses. My mom, grandmother and great- grandmother were all nurses and ‘talking shop’ was normal even when eating. :thinking::grin: My grandmother was a surgical nurse and when you asked for a spoon or something you’d get it ‘snapped’ right into your palm like it was a scalpel being given to a doctor during surgery. :ambulance::scissors::hammer::nut_and_bolt::syringe:

5 Likes

That would make a great K-drama! :joy:

2 Likes

I’m curious since I started the first episode of Goodbye Mr. Black, and I plan to continue: which cute guy? There are a few :blush:

You’re not alone in having that sentiment! But I guess there are women like that. I remember reading about the daughter of some airlines president throwing a tantrum on a plane…

Hmm…maybe it could be called Food Surgeons? Or Doctor, Food, Love or something…

Same here! But it’s precisely because of being around relatives in the medical field that I don’t watch a lot of medical dramas. I get really angry when doctors use patients just for money. I get so upset that I can’t watch the drama. What really makes me squeamish is excessive violence.

1 Like

This one an Asian man that has gorgeous features, and his voice is manly not ‘‘whinee/girlish.’’ But after that dreadful scene (that he shouldn’t accept to do), I no longer watch his dramas bc those scenes come into my mind and is such a turn off. People need to have pride and those scenes are NOT funny at all but degrading and disgusting too.

1 Like

Or Scalpels and Ramen? :rofl:

1 Like

@feyfayer

In King 2 Hearts, during the WOC games, the Korean and American team compete against each other (episode 15). At one point, a few of the American soldiers make racist remarks about how the Asian digestive system probably doesn’t work the same way as theirs. I’m watching this whole scene thinking “WTH?” So hard to watch.

But then again, during the whole drama “foreigners” made snide remarks about Korea and so many scenes are “WTH?” in this drama.

I know this is 29 days old but By your comment it’s my understanding that to you, ‘‘the Americans’’ are making the racist remarks? Are you forgetting at all, that the one who wrote King 2 Hearts it’s an Asian writer? You continue with ‘‘foreigners made snide remarks WTH?’’

No, the Asian Writer who wrote the script; made this Racist Remarks Scenes, and the Americans were portrayed as racist in those scenes; which is a total disrespect to American ppl.and that is why I no longer watch many Asian dramas that use this kind of scenes in their dramas. They are very easy to spot. I stopped watching this drama bc of that racist atmosphere it had, although my 2 main most admired actor/actress were in it. I went to the end episode, just to see the ending (but I can’t say I watched the full end episode).

2 Likes

I’m talking about the scene in the context of the drama - that was the question of this topic, right?

Yes, it was written by an Asian writer, but who says that it wasn’t based on something that they have actually heard in real life or something along those lines? Sure, the writer could’ve made an exaggeration, it’s a drama after all, and this drama suffers from many exaggerations.

For me it doesn’t matter if the people who said those remarks were Americans or from somewhere else. In the context of the drama (and anywhere else), what they said was wrong, which is why I went ‘WTH?’ and thought it fit the theme - the characters who did this came from a different planet :wink: Then, what they said would make a lot more sense.

You shortened my sentence here :slight_smile: I said: “But then again, during the whole drama “foreigners” made snide remarks about Korea and so many scenes are “WTH?” in this drama,” to say that this wasn’t an isolated incident, the whole drama is like that. And the drama is wacky ‘WTH’ in general.

I understand where you are coming from though :slight_smile:. But I respectfully disagree.

2 Likes

I get it now. Thanks for clearing the misunderstanding, and doing it in such a respectful way. There is so much racism in the world, and to have to see it in a love story, it really killed the desire for me to watch the drama back then. Besides, it was filled with so much tragedies I just couldn’t deal with that. But I did watched certain parts like when he’s ambushed and she saves him (that was an awesome episode) that’s when I jumped to ending episode. The one about the american guys i read several articles about it, so I avoided watching that specific episode.

2 Likes

If I saw that behavior in REAL LIFE I would LAUGH at them and MOCK them! How incredibly ill-mannered and STUPID! Arrested development. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: (Even though it is bad manners to laugh at them, they so richly deserve mockery.)

1 Like

Here is all you need to know about the “nut rage incident”.

3 Likes

Dang! She must have thought she was starring in a drama. or, maybe all the dramatic stereotypes are based on her? :rofl:

2 Likes

If you read one of the articles, it explains that this is usual behavior for the rich and powerful. I also used to think that it was exaggerated in dramas, things like make an employee kneel or slapping them etc. But I was proven wrong.

4 Likes

There are ‘power trippin’ people worldwide.

2 Likes

Aw! I finally got and am currently watching Scarlet Heart Ryeo. It’s really good. The sad scene was when Prince #8’s wife had dropped because she was so sick. He was carrying her back piggyback style when she died. :frowning:

1 Like

Scarlet Heart Ryeo was my first introduction to Kdrama aside from Are You Human, Too? and boy was I in for a ride of emotions! Going from American shows/movies to watching Scarlet Heart was somewhat of a pleasant shock, lol! Everything about the culture was so different than what I was used to; add to that, it is a historical show so I was in a whole new world.

4 Likes

What was really surprising to me was that Prince # 4 looks like he could be the older brother of my real life niece. They really resemble each other. Even down to that angry look. lol

For the most part, Korean culture is not different to me at all. It seems normal to me and not exotic at all. So many things are compatible to my actual life. But maybe that is because I grew up in a multicultural neighborhood where people don’t wear shoes inside, they share food with whoever shows up at the house, use honorifics for relationships, etc. It’s all normal to me. Except I do not know anyone who acts all stupid, adults throwing tantrums and behaving ridiculous ‘cutesie’. They would get the sideways eye and the room would be asked, ‘Where does this person come from?’ 'Are they an animal?" or ‘coconut head’ (Siya ay ang buko) lol Though I do admit seeing the men dressed up in suits, sitting cross-legged on the floor with bare tootsies does surprise me, because most people sitting on the floor here are wearing jeans, then it dawns on me. "Oh! That’s what I look like indoors… no shoes on. lol It’s kind of weird to see that on tv because I never even thought about it before. I don’t even see myself. It’s just natural to not wear shoes inside. :joy: :sunglasses: I don’t sit cross-legged on the floor nowadays because my knees are so bad I can’t get off the floor but I do sit cross-legged on the couch.

3 Likes