Moderators and CMs can't edit the description and title anymore?

When the movie or drama isn’t popular, the synopsis is the only way someone can be interested in the story and maybe watch it. How can they be interested if they can’t read the description or the title?
I’ve been away from Viki for a few months and I’m coming back now, so I don’t know if they said anything about that…

2 Likes

You can’t edit the main languages, among which English, Spanish etc.
The other ones you can. They said that if you find a mistake in the languages you can’t edit, you can write to the Viki staff and they’ll fix it for you, but I did that once and they never replied nor did anything. So…

1 Like

Do you mean translating them into other languages?

1 Like

No, she means editing it. For instance, sometimes the synopsis is plain wrong. Or maybe you chose to use Revised Romanization for the character names, but the synopsis has them in the old style. Or whatever. Now you cannot change a single letter.
In “The Last Time I Saw Paris” it said on the synopsis that the couple finally separates, which occurs at 3/4 of the film. Major spoiler! (I’m putting it here since this classic film, lovingly translated, is no longer on Viki, as all classic US films). Anyway, as a CM I begged them to change it, to no avail.
On another drama, the synopsis was totally wrong as it had been provided by the production company before the series was filmed, and they obviously changed the screenplay midway into the shooting. But Viki refused to change the synopsis, although it gave false info, because the production company had sent it.

The title translation too. If you are not English mod, you may want to translate the title to your own liking. Now it’s not possible anymore.

2 Likes

many titles and sysnopsis in german are totaly false.

2 Likes

Funny story, I have a request like this running on Help Center for months and I was told a few days ago it’s hard because of legal reasons and we should tell them the wrong stuff. But didn’t I tell the mistakes already? And I don’t believe spelling mistakes have anything to do with legal requirements. For German there are even mistakes on the site itself. E.g. the language Polish was translated to “to polish/furbish”.
I tried to think of some possible solution that we volunteers can help with the titles and description again, but I don’t think Viki will consider it: https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360034874713-Voting-suggesting-for-title-and-description-in-other-languages

4 Likes

Indeed, The Liar and His Lover’s title in portuguese was wrong
(O Mentiroso e Sua Amante) you know… This title in portuguese is offensive 'cause “lover” in portuguese isn’t a good word, in my language that word means “mistress”. :disappointed:
So I wrote to staff and after some mistakes finally they changed it, and they followed my suggestion : “O Mentiroso e Sua Amada.”

1 Like

I totally can relate! :flushed:

For this case I wrote Viki so often, but nothing changes!

Titles and descriptions with obvious mistakes and typos are ignored. I wrote Viki several times, that the title for the drama “I hate you, Juliet” has a simple typo in German “Julia, I hasse dich” - the title contains the English “I” and not the German “ich”.

5 Likes

This has been going on here for a long time now bc about 2 years ago I tried fixing a description of a venezuelan drama (i was the all language Moderator), and i couldn’t do it. I contacted the Help Center and like ALWAYS for a long time now, no one contact me to resolve the issue.

I mean editing and translating… Sometimes we are allowed to translate the entire drama/film, but we can’t really translate the synopsis too. How can someone that can’t read english be interested in a drama, even if it’s fully translated to their language? I feel like that’s a useless work.

2 Likes

Maybe you should try contacting a staff instead

1 Like

Btw staffs who translate titles and synopsis to other languages besides english are really native speakers?
I feel kinda bad for trying to fix small mistakes on titles, since it’s kinda troublesome. There’s a small grammar and spacing mistake that is really bothering me :x