Name a drama where you didn't care about the romance between the main leads but the story progression and explain why

As the title says, name a drama where you didn’t care about the romance between the main leads but the story progression and explain why.

I’ll start.

Obstetrics and Gynecology Doctors (2010) was one where the romance storyline didn’t interest me. I am interested in going into the OBGYN field, so I decided to watch and each episode, I was captivated by the stories and the cases they had to deal with in the hospital. When it came to the romance, it was unclear who the male lead was and her SO at the beginning was scandalous (for a lack of a better word).

What’s yours?

2 Likes

For me, it was Reply 1988.

I never obsess over any romantic storyline and refrain from watching too much romantic dramas. The way Reply 1988 was made as compared to previous reply series, the makers this time didn’t gave much attention to female lead’s love interest but the lives of people during 80s got the limelight. Ever since I’ve watched this series, no other drama can get me to love it. I’ve completed about 4 dramas since then but none passed to get my attention.

Too much flowery storylines don’t attract me either, My ID is Gangnam Beauty is an example. I gave this drama multiple chances but I simple can’t go beyond episode 8 or 9.

3 Likes

The story progression was slower than usual and organized(based on) as a book. I wasn’t interested in the main characters relationship, more in the background and story of the main characters and that of Hae Won’s aunt, Myeong-yeo. Hae Won had a tint of assholeness imo, which I think contributed to my uninterest in the romantic relationship, tbh.

Generally speaking, I care about the relationships, but the main thing in most series aren’t the romantic side, but the story and how the different main stories tie together.

1 Like

I usually love the romance in all the dramas I choose, but though I liked the couple, I wasn’t as interested in them as I was in the plot, the crime and the second lead(In some ways he seems to be the main since most of the story revolves around him). For almost the first time ever, I was more interested in finding out the secrets and how the prosecutor’s story would unfold that I even skipped a few scenes of the main couple!:sweat_smile: The main couple are also pretty young and stuff so their falling in love didn’t interest me since it was mostly light…I loved the prosecutors and their story wayyy wore! It was a true thriller, and though the ending didn’t completely satisfy me, I loved the plot twist! Also I think I cried the most over this one but thats another story​:joy:

yeah, so true, I’ve almost completely lost interest in light, flowery little romances, especially between high school kids, etc… I like the depth of second chance romances or shows like Flower of Evil and Touch Your Heart

6 Likes

I will include HIP in my list too. I liked the story and I’ll need to say, at first, I didn’t even had any idea that this can also be included in romance. Only after did the couple grew up and started spending time together in Police Station, I noticed their romance :sweat_smile:. The plot of the drama was well thought and for the entire run of this drama, I bet you’d have also thought wrong about who the actual culprit is until it was revealed in around last episode and I couldn’t say enough in praise of the writer. The writer was excellent in deluding us throughout the drama.

Now, since we’re talking about this, I’ll also include LOTBS in this list, the romance is something else but the suspense of LOTBS was on another level. Especially when one of the gang members started betraying Heo Joon Jae towards the end of the series, I couldn’t even sense what will happen the next second, it was truly magnificent from the editing to the acting to the story.

1 Like

If you like suspense, you’ll definitely like Mr. Temporary. This drama has almost little to no romance or high school love birds, I just gave this drama a chance, thinking I won’t be willing to watch after first episode but I finished this drama in one and a half day during my summer vacations. It is, of course, set in a high school but it concentrates on murder and mystery and just like HIP, you won’t be able to guess who’s the real culprit. Although, the end was a bit like a cliff hanger just like in HIP but the two stories aren’t similar in any way.

3 Likes

wow! I’ll check it out then!

1 Like

Strong Woman Do Bong Soon is a classic, but even though I think the protagonist couple is cute, I love the story!!! Seeing a cute and strong woman acting like a super-hero, makes me so happy ahshahahahahhahaa.
When the scenes of the bad guy shows up, I be like “oh my god, just kill him, girl!!”.

1 Like

Liar Game is one of those suspenseful dramas that keeps you on the edge of your seat pretty much from start to finish. But the lack of romance is the reason why so many dislike it. It is also the reason why I personally like it so much. :smile_cat:

1 Like

ZOMBIE DETECTIVE …the romance between ML’s, was humanly impossible but the chemistry was so hot, and made up for the missing romantic scenes I wished they had.

1 Like

Kairos
Watching elsewhere. It is SO exciting.

I am amazed that script writers always keep picking up the twisted thread. And I wonder if there will be a romance yet.

3 Likes

Start Up :sweat_smile:
Cared way more about the story around the career and the friendships than the romance.
Seeing how they wrote in so many clichés, I already knew who the FL was going to end up with and
it didn’t interest me that much. Sure, it was cute at times, but I didn’t enjoy those scenes as much as for example the scenes between the grandmother and HJP. I ended up not caring that much for the main couple.

2 Likes

Start up was good, but I personally got frustrated with the romance in it, it was pretty clear after a few episodes how it would have turned out and that one of the main characters should have liked the other main character instead of the one that was liked. (Trying to avoid spoilers). I cared about the romance, but I can se your point and felt it was a bit jarring myself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

this isn’t much romance in this one and as a complete rom-com fan, I was doubtful watching it. However I tried it because I usually enjoy tvN dramas and WOW it didn’t even need romance, the plot itself was so weird :joy: The comedy was so well-done, and I think its one of the only dramas where everyone is actively shipping the main lead and the villain in TCs :joy::joy: Yoo Shi Yoon’s dual role was just so amazing that I didn’t even care that the romance was so underdeveloped!

1 Like