No wonder it's called the Korean wave

Hello,

I’ve been watching Kdrama since 2015, thanks to the discovery of Viki, and even though it hasn’t been that long, I’ve managed to check off my list quite a few of them, but my backlog is still pretty large.

Sadly, they are like a wave: They come once, and if don’t quickly get on, then you’ve missed your chance. Of course, I’m talking about the invisible countdown timer tied to the given period of a license. Sure, that’s the way the cookie crumbles, but how many times have you been invested in a drama, only to have it disappear the next day with just 3 more episodes to go? Classic titles should be preserved for all time, I think, while the others should have a timer on them or something. Viki has promised to add one, fortunately.

Anyway, I just had to get that off my chest. It’s been bothering me for a while, so thank you for taking the time to read this!

2 Likes

I think it has to do with the flow of how economy works in general. I think unfortunately good things leave us earlier than we want them to. Nothing lasts today forever, we have to learn to part with it, whether it is products, places, food etc, only few can be revived. As economy strives to produce always something “new and better” even if it’s not really better, they think consumers are stupid or perhaps consumers desire always new things, anyway the circle must continue no matter what, we can see the evolution of internet and even FB which I gave up long time ago as it is “coocoo” to navigate… and the status as a “FriendBook” has dissipated… With all the constant change, advancement, new products a human has to constantly relearn which becomes stressful as you start getting older.

In the end Viki’s portfolio of dramas and movies depends on storage and money and demand. Perhaps there could be a pay per view for expired content - perhaps a new Market Niche? :heart_eyes:

1 Like

It hasn’t happened to me personally, but it could happen any time.
It would be nice if they put an advance notice 1-2 months before the license expiry date, so that people know either to watch them quickly or not to start them.
Of course, we all know there other places one can go and finish watching them - most of the time at least.

This would also be nice for volunteers who are actually working hard to complete them. If for the viewer it is a bother, imagine what it is for them!

2 Likes

Oh my, now that’s depressing… But yeah, it would be nice to have old content brought back. :slight_smile:

I actually suggested that to Viki, and the answer was a positive one. Hopefully, it will be implemented… :slight_smile:

1 Like