Okay what's the badge requirement for march now -?

That’s a nice point of view, the pleasant one! I appreciated so much you scenary (I like so much battle fields on dramas… ^_^)
May be it’s a funny way to combine business and pleasure, I mean… we get the badges and Viki obtains a statistic of people’s preferences. A win win solution.

1 Like

Yes, that’s my point… the bragging on something that’s not our own doing but just a “trick”.
Me too, I copy/paste the lyrirics to avoid differences from one version to another.
About the crappy translations… we’ll never get rid of them. My only fear is that the limited amount of time given to have this latest badges could create a rush that’s not the best way to have something good.

Anyway… let’s have fun

You’re a mind reader.

I think they just wanted us to get acquainted with the tool (collections). But making one is a bit disheartening since your public collection is not very visible to others. At least not as the ones such as “K-pop oppas of my dreams”.

It’s called Lunar New Year 2018. Red background. Did you check recently?

Oh, we had this discussion before. It’s connected to the editing I think, but I can’t remember the particulars. Anybody care to explain? Also, I don’t rule out abusers. I am a rational person, after all :laughing:

Actually you can have a badge in any language without being an abuser. It may come from shifting subs while segment fixing.
When I am CM and fix segments, and two segments need to be merged, let’s say segments A and B, I take the sub from segment B, move it to the end of segment A, and then put an asterisk on B, to mark it “for deletion”.
In order to save other people’s work, I then go to the other two or three main languages and whenever I see an asterisk in the English, I do this sub migration accordingly (sub B moved to the end of sub A). Then, after doing all this for the most important languages, I go ahead and delete the segment with the asterisk (segment B) and extend segment A to take all the empty place.
This of course credits me with a sub in that language.
So if you go to my profile and see
Portuguese (300) - Romanian (300) - Spanish (1000),
don’t start bashing me, LOL! They probably came from fixing old movies and drama specials, whose subbers and moderators had long disappeared before I took the channel under my wing, or where there was never a moderator to begin with.
(Well, for Spanish, I also corrected the formatting and punctuation. There was a subber who consistently forgot the inverted question marks and exclamation marks at the beginning of the sentence and never put a full stop at the end).
My Korean (300) comes from captioning two old classic films for which I found the subs elsewhere. I did it to help the Ko-En subber who volunteered and said it was much easier to translate if she saw the Korean sub written. We want to pamper our rare Ko-En subbers whenever we find them, and make their lives easier, don’t we? I can tell you it was difficult and time-consuming to put every Korean sub in the right place (the sentences were divided/segmented differently), but it helped my reading and listening skills, so I’m not complaining. I did feel my badge was hard-earned!

1 Like

Aaahh Viki!
Hard to decipher Viki!
What or who is Viki?
Them, us, everyone here?

Whatever the Viki company plans, we would never know the truth behind everything except working for Viki.
Maybe, we’re thinking too much about it (I don’t believe in Illuminati xd)

I don’t see it like a bad or good thing.
I’m feeling indifferent.
Maybe, I got used to badges and events: 1st, 2nd, 3rd… 10th…
First times, it’s nice and new, but slowly, you begin to feel used to it.
Like a déjà vu, like this old game or like the same perfume you wear everyday and don’t smell anymore (I’m also someone who gets bored easily, that could explain too).

I’m not fond of collecting badges, nor dramas, but what is collecting? Like ‘I have to get all badges that go out?’ or what is exactly collecting?
Is collecting = having a particular item in multiple times, declentions?
If so, I’m also collecting orphan socks and pen that don’t work anymore.
Perfumes too (Sephora France has 30% off on perfumes until April).

If they could do half-half like new and current channels + old channels to have 1 badge, it could be more “useful” in providing help in desert channels?

It’s optimistic to see only the good sides, but exploring the other side of the dice:
Debates too:
There are volunteers who are only interested in these badges and not in the dramas concerned by the badge.
I heard that when they first announce that the dog badge would be only for specific dramas, there was a rush to ask to participate whereas the drama’s page was there for some time (I don’t know how much time).
And then people telling “Oh no, it’s not for the badge, I’m interested in this drama”.

Maybe it’s true, maybe for some people, it’s not.
But when the badge event would be finished, again, it would be gone with the badge and the drama would be left midway.
I don’t have anything against people collecting things (if it makes them feel good, why not?), but certainly, do people have no shame to say that all they want to do is help the drama whereas we know where their main interest lies?

So if some people only focus on collecting badges and forget the drama that they initially supposeldy wanted to help, it makes me think that: “This badge, it’s like a proof that they thought first of getting this badge instead of helping this drama… or helping us.”
I might be a little harsh thinking like this, I guess… Kinda disappointed seeing this behaviour on Viki, aren’t we a volunteering community = a helpful community?

If people are interested in having other languages badges, maybe they can help you fix these subtitles? (Look there!)

I have to say that the badges (300) etc that you told are pale comparison to what you really did while fixing (you could have x2 your number of subtitles or segments by far), so these badges are not representative of your work.
And I have to say that Irmar invested a lot to fix these dramas.

That is more valuable to viewers and to me than these (300) badges.

2 Likes

In the case of fixing segments, it would be bothersome to put all asterisks and then wait until someone found the time to do the sub shifting. Usually all this is done for me in one sitting.
Plus… the dramas and films where there is this horrible segmenting in need of fixing are usually old ones and it’s not easy to find someone who is interested in doing just this boring thing.

1 Like

Great idea!! They should motivate us to work on old channels. More languages for example.

What I would also LOVE to see is (if Viki found a way to actually count this) that the UNFINISHED subs in a series get finished(-ish). Or worked on more. We have a problem with unfinished projects in non-English languages. Hell, even in the English language there is plenty of work on that particular issue.

3 Likes

I usually have found at least one of these to work with to complete it in English. I know some of folks off my Teams also quietly take up and complete things. It would help if we had a list of all dramas in need of this work again - Mahoula had one originally - some need seg, some need sub, some need transcription, some desperately need updating in the subs and or segs. And then release.

There are a great many on airs at the moment though - and talent to make the versions from Chinese to English especially is in short supply. :slight_smile:

Someone came after me for not having an old on book I took up completed yet - and I have a Team devoted to working on the older dramas, by the way. Well…would they not want the 3 on airs done - my current and the past 2? no, they would tear the skies down with howls if I ignored that work, and my Team with me?

There’s plenty to do around here for everyone capable and willing to do it. :slight_smile:

1 Like