Racism - an "invisible" subject in k-drama

Of course there must be.
But the fact that in an ocean of dramas and films, all the people taking part in this discussion were able to name just a handful is significant in itself, isn’t it?

I haven’t been here for over a month, wow what a site! all of you are are right in one form or fashion.

when I see a woman slapped, I’d love to see it one time that she hit back, custom or not. all of you do calm down, these are dramas, fiction!

one person here on this forum mentioned their culture, their upbringing . in a sense their beliefs & upbringing. Yeah it’s the 21st century and all, but for someone to come to/at me and tell me I shouldn’t speak English but Spanish( sorry Spanish friends) and Yes versa, that isn’t easy. BTW I understand our English is harder to learn than say Korean. sorry off the subject at hand. yes, race discrimination is terrible. I suffered as well, when I was younger, I am from the midwest(USA) and coming to North Carolina in the 60’s, big difference.

I went to school with blacks, Asians, Spanish.( in Seattle Washington) and when I came to NC and befriended blacks ( sorry I don’t mean to offend) but others ridiculed me. and osterized me, I didn’t have friends then.and i now try my best to be open to everyone.
(p/s the 6o’s was racial uprising then)

you know we as a people no matter the color, creed or religion or whatever, we should find some common ground and get along with each other. yeah, we are talking about the dramas and all, I admit I do love these, to me they are sometimes a lot better than the American ones.

have you noticed they don’t touch, even an honest holding a hand is taboo? and the Americanized and some of the other foreign films jump into bed at the first meeting! that what turns me off. these Asian dramas & movies, yeah drinking, faces slapped, bullying( per boys over flowers , two I can think of,& heirs)

So yes the Asians need to drop their oldfashioned cultures and get into the 21st century. BUT that’s not for me to say. these people are so, what do I call it?< humble, but not doormats.

I would hate to see that culture is removed, well except not treating women so badly that is. shucks if we had more of that in our country, wonder if it would be better off, per these shootings here recently. so tragic.

I would rather watch a clean cut drama even with the faces slapped, bullying, poor girl rich guy, oh yeah less vulgar language than the ones on the other side of the world!

heres one that hasn’t been mentioned. My dad was in WW2, and I had a lot of his views about Italians & Japanese. so it isn’t the color of the skin, but views of who what where when how why, they did to others if that makes sense. Look our culture, not just the blacks, but our American Indians also comes into play here,

so find some common ground, huh?

Garbage in Garbage out. we can always find some bad with the good.

so all of you critical, judgmental? just pick & choose wisely,k?

the food is_fabulous!

the historical dramas are awesome, I love history, but a lot of times they drag on too.
ok nuff said, racisim is a worldwide prob. we need to start in our own back yard so to speak, and do something about it then.

That is why creators of entertainment should try to address such things in the movies and dramas. As they don’t show smoking, as they take extra care to show all k-drama characters putting on seatbelts no matter how urgent the situation, why not also take a stand on important social issues? Things like dramas are the best way to educate the public as well as entertain. Of course it shouldn’t be heavy-handed.
It’s OK that’s Love did a wonderful job for mental illness. Ex convicts feature in Secret (yes, the one with Ji Sung!) and that irritating mess Panda and Hedgehog. And I believe that the writers of Father is Strange (not one of my favourite dramas otherwise) did an excellent job bringing some issues to the fore regarding social prejudice (ex convict, pregnant woman worker), and so did Five Children (remarriage of woman with children) I Do I Do (single motherhood), Misaeng (career-woman in high position who is also a wife and mother, young career woman having to prove herself to chauvinistic pig men).
In order not to alienate the more traditional-thinking viewers, they also present scenes where the traditional characters (usually the elder generation) state their views, views that will obviously be shared by a portion of the viewers, and have those characters gradually change their opinion in a natural, humane way.
That’s a much more effective method to persuade and teach the public than angry pamphlets, documentaries and protests. Because it sneaks into their homes, is bundled together with entertainment, is nested into emotionally powerful scenes, and lowers resistance by seeming to agree and sympathize with the opponent’s views first - a time-honoured selling strategy, that!

Irmar, you are so right, if writers or whoever would start doing something constructive in thier dramas, just like what you mentioned, I think it would be kinda half the battle, the autusim guy(good doctor) they did put him and aurisum in a better light, yeah I loved that its ok thats love, and yeah I cried a bit, Iand what about the wheelchair bound, note like that scientist that passed away not too long ago. Hawkins, a person that can’t hear,see or whatever, heres a person that has alshimers and remembers he was a murderer? ,I gotta watch that(is it forgotten?) anyway theres so many things these people can write about and put good vibes on these (whatever we call it) from racist, to imperfection

changing the world one step at a time. “pay it forward” was a good drama, the scenes were not so good, but that was part of the story of the young boy, he made a difference. doing those good deeds changed those people

We CAN do the same thing, a kind word, a smile, just doing something for someone and not expecting anything back. Sometimes we think too much.

so if our writers, the guys in the background could just do this , and I don’t mean christian type( I am a christian) but something that would get us to thinking. do something good to or for some onme. a compliment goes a long way.

All of you are so right. but try to do something for someone in your daily life. a step at a time…

copied this from Irmar;
That’s a much more effective method to persuade and teach the public than angry pamphlets, documentaries and protests. Because it sneaks into their homes, is bundled together with entertainment, is nested into emotionally powerful scenes, and lowers resistance by seeming to agree and sympathize with the opponent’s views first - a time-honoured selling strategy, that

Thanks all

1 Like

That’s not racism that discrimination

Well yes, the discussion has somehow shifted to portrayal of discrimination in dramas.
Other kinds of discrimination have been tackled often in dramas: mental illness, autism, women’s issues, prisoners, etc. But racism hasn’t. There hasn’t been a single drama where racism was one of the main themes or even a small sub-plot. That was what spurred this thread in the first place.

I think in Dramas they play it to an extremes to get a rise out of the audience.In the 60s’ and 70s’ they began to use this extreme example to psychologically condition and undermine traditional values/lifestyles in the West.Convincing Women that taking care of family and household were degrading.Now the divorce rates are up and broken families are common place.I feel this has hurt Western society as a whole.I am starting to see someof the same psychological conditioning in Asian dramas.I still prefer Asian tv over Western tv shows because I respect and enjoy their traditonal values.

Here is what I found in a Korean language learning book for students called “Easy Korean for foreigners”, book 1, chapter 1, where you learn about jobs and nationalities.
Look at the top right hand image, which is “intepreter”.
I mean, this is the “characteristic” image of black people for Koreans???

image_2020-11-04_180345

1 Like

It’s all over Asia, as the black immigrants are usually Africans who are poor, and the societies over there are hierarchal as it is ; but I have been keenly aware as a black man that the shift to market in the USA has bought about change…if only for monetary reasons

There was a clear take on diversity issues in “Live up to your name !”, and the token American in “Hi Mama, bye Mama” was African American ( the English teacher ) , and “The King, Eternal Monarch” had literally a room full of black people as math students…

And white people are stereotyped severely in some of the older dramas as well, my eyes and ears burn when I see the ‘surfer dude’ in Heirs …I mean, like , WTF ? Really ??

“Moorim School” had a black teacher as well, and he spoke excellent Korean.

https://news.yahoo.com/sam-okyere-foreign-k-drama-044705152.html

But he’s very readily criticized for whatever he says.

Nearly got deported for the student incidents, and then, for a really very trivial matter, he was inundated by vicious comments and had to delete his Instagram account.

Now he has been forced to “voluntarily” leave the TV-show where he regularly appeared. What I mean is that they are especially harsh since he’s a black foreigner.

Some modern dramas try their best to address issues like single motherhood, divorcees, ex-convicts and other prejudices, but this doesn’t mean that the general society follows.

1 Like

Yeah, they got a lonnnng way to go on some issues, particular for women which oddly enough is masked in the dramas, but there are bits that show the ugly undertones …specifically for divorced women and women’s rights in general…I know when I saw “Oh My Baby” it occurred that a single woman was not allowed artificial insemination …by law or how in “Let’s Eat” the woman was sexually harrassed since she was considered ‘easy’ because she was divorced

1 Like