Sacrificing Speed for Quality in Subtitles

재수없어 literally means having no luck but you can translate it as being annoying/irritating (because he is so rude/full of himself). So basically she is having a bad day/bad luck for having to deal with such an arrogant or self-righteous person. I’d sub it as “So annoying!”

BTW, I can’t even think of a c word that was used for that translation.

4 Likes

Today’s gems from the ubiquitous “viki” .
Ggeut Seon told me you’d be staying here. (A 30 year old is referring to a woman old enough to be her grandmother by her first name)
Gosh! I had to meditate my whole life living with you. (I have no idea what “having to meditate” means in this context.)
You always go recluse whenever something goes wrong.
Why are you the only one defected? (The story is not about defecting from one country to another-- should have been defective)
I’m fool’s gold. (Wrong idiom to use — fool’s gold — means the owner thinks she has gold but it’s not gold)
What are you doing after causing another trouble?
The pretty old lady and Ggeut Sun are fighting. ( said by a child -referring to woman old enough to be her grandmother as “Ggeut Sun” – I would characterize this as culturally insensitive but I can’t think of any culture in which it is all right for a young child to refer to an elderly person by first name only. In any case, this is definitely not done in Korea.)
Stay off of this. (Should be “out”, not “off”).
Mother is berating forty-something old son with “b … d”. All she called him was 놈 which could have been subbed with “idiot” or something less demeaning of herself.

Seen on N … x last week in a current K-drama. Poster should have said “Private tutoring”, instead, poster is subbed “Private tuition”.

2 Likes

“I can’t think of any culture in which it is all right for a young child to refer to an elderly person by first name only” In Swedish culture we don’t use any kind of formality when we speak to eachother (everyone goes by first name), the only once we have to adress formal are the royals (but I have never met them).

4 Likes

I do agree with you. In Spanish although we have formal and informal speech, in some cultures this is not seen that much. I’m Cuban, and Cubans are very fond of using informal language to address people, even elderly people. I’m not sure if I understood correctly the other part, but we also address them by first name. For example, my boyfriend’s mom is named Ivone, and I address her as Ivone.

4 Likes

She would be aunt(ie) Ivone in Croatia. Although that form of addressing is gradually getting lost with the new generations.

I live in Norway, where addressing people is equally formal/informal, as Maria described. Honestly, that freaked me out the first few years living here. Now I’m sort of used to it.

But the real question we should be asking is would a young Korean ever address an older person (more than 5 years older, to be precise) by their first name. And the answer is no.

If you leave the first name in that sub, you remove the Korean cultural layer in that drama.

5 Likes

Yes. The simpliest of solutions. :blush:

5 Likes

Latest “gem” today by “viki” “I’d like to ask Mr. Hwang to fill me in.” Yes, it’s grammatical but “fill me in” means to provide information but the speaker wants Mr. Hwang, a co-worker, to take her shift so it should be “I’d like to ask Mr. Hwang to fill in for me.” “Fill in for me” means to act as a substitute, in your stead.

9 Likes

The subtitles in Thai dramas are just embarrassing. I’ve been translating “Never let me go” into German and I don’t know where they got the translations for some English songs, but they can easily be found via Google. Still, Viki managed to release these versions:

Original: Our whole lives
Viki: a whole light
Viki: A whole night (yeah, different versions too)

Original: You and I, we got our differences
Viki: You and I we got our different sence

Original: Monsoon rain and chest pain
Viki: Misery and chest pain

Original: Hard to breathe and staying sane
Viki: Have a breath and stay inside

These lyrics were not new or unreleased (as I’m aware that stuff like this may happen in case of unreleased OSTs). The drama released here in 2023, many of these songs are from 2020 etc. And I’m not even mentioning all the spelling mistakes. Names are obviously wrong, one character becomes another, and so on. I’m aware that few mistakes may happen from time to time, but these Thai translations are simply embarrassing. Not to forget that the Portuguese translations base on this. It’s even difficult to find Translation Editors for Thai dramas, so Viki may consider investing into proper presubs.

8 Likes

I believe “Never Let Me Go” has an English Editing Team in place, so these errors should be fixed soon, hopefully.
Yes, this just another example of why the human volunteers are necessary.

4 Likes

It’s deplorable!! I can only imagine your resolve to push through this filt as a translator of languages. Uugh!!!

The question is, will they get to it before OL translators? Don’t forget the race :checkered_flag: for output, leaves so many :hole: blackholes of elimination to the finish line. It makes me think of this movie, and the things they endured to participate.
!Race to Freedom - Um Bok Dong | Korea | Movie | Watch with English Subtitles & More ✔️

4 Likes

The thing is we had very bad Chinese translations before, same with other languages - but those improved over the last year (and I refer to the unedited version as well). Therefore, this should be extended to all languages.

6 Likes