Scammers, spam, and the like

Always listen to your gut. :slight_smile:

Ah, did they make another account? Cause they shouldnā€™t be able to send you messages from the same account if you blocked them.

Btw, maybe this course is interesting to you:

This is the #1 priority in this discussion thread. Especially now that police officers are refusing to do their job, and crime and rape has skyrocket so much. I am so THANKFUL you mentioned this one since it didnā€™t crossed my mind.

No matter what country we are from, and how safe it may be,this one needs special attention. Evil man are posing as a cop, and stopping young girls alone in the highway. Most of the time they never find a body and the family has to live with that pain for the rest of their life. Your suggestion of calling (911/119 whatever number your country use to contact the police department) to check on this cop stopping them, can be the difference between life and death.

PS. Man are not exempt from this tactic. A real cop was given life in prison bc he stopped severals men and raped them. He was a married man with children of his own. His sick sexual fantasy destroyed the life of many of these men (some committed suicide from the shame). It wasnā€™t until his confession that some families found out why their happy, healthy son committed suicide. May they Rest in Peace.

2 Likes

ā€¦ and Iā€™m sure also that of his poor wife and children.

2 Likes

oh my goodness thats terrible!

thanks yā€™all yes the gut feeling always follow, and looks like the guy used the same address he did before!!

1 Like

There was also a real cop in Russia or East Europe who invited women into his car to ā€˜bring them homeā€™ and in the end he killed ~79-83 people (over many centuries). Heā€™s also a married man and father and his family didnā€™t think that something like that could be real.

So he abused his real job for that and also was involved in the investigations of these crimes because it was a not so big city so he could of course distract his collegues from his traces. But some years ago with new DNA/forensic methods some younger people checked old cases and somehow were able to give proof that he was the murdererā€¦

1 Like

thats my message (to me) and yes maybe to others. good call!

4 Likes

hahahahahahaha this is a great one. Boredom can cloud the mind and we might pay the consequences later on. Glad you opened your eyes on time. Iā€™m glad I did, too.

2 Likes

Well said. And those are of course the times they strike. When they know or just want you to think that you are vulnerable. That they are your only option. Whahaha!

Imagine living in a foreign country, coming across other foreigners wanting to be your ā€œfriendsā€, claiming ā€œthose natives all keep to themselves, you will never make friends hereā€. Yeah, right. Thanks, but no thanks. Anyone who claims he/she is my only option, is no option.

And when I think back of all the other toxic people that have crossed my path at some point ā€¦ by now I am wise enough to know theyā€™re far worse than loneliness. If youā€™re not good to me, then youā€™re out. Period. Whether there are other options or not. :martial_arts_uniform:

3 Likes

@mirjam_465

Thereā€™s a Spanish saying that goes; Itā€™s better to be Alone than In bad company. This pandemic made me realized that there are certain individuals we donā€™t need in our life no matter how ā€˜ā€˜aloneā€™ā€™ we may feel.

My blood pressure went down when I threw out my phone and kept these toxic ppl out of my life. They come around unannounced, and my blood pressure goes sky high again. A form of scammers that want to manipulate and make others miserable.

Can we get rid of them? Not completely but we can never give up trying either.

3 Likes

At least by now weā€™ve learned to recognize them sooner. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Today got onto FB, did my ordinary things, put stuff on there, answered some people. and yā€™ know again I got 4 more ā€œguysā€ asking to be my friend and military!! or so they say. .

why canā€™t someone find these people? I mean arenā€™t they stealing Military I Dā€™s? seems like there should be a way to stop them. what was so funny, change in name but not picture, great give away there!

yes yā€™all wised me up and to watch out for this stuff like this. again thank you so much all of you for helping me with this.especially times like these, friends, loneliness, depression and the rest. wow a life saver is all I can say!!

lets see comsa da(?) cei cei, betaja, graci, gracis,danka, merci salamat

hope I got that right!! sorry everyone else but again thank you

one more thing I did change my picture twice

2 Likes

You must be very pretty!

2 Likes

I donā€™t think so, just an average person I will take the compliment though, thank youimage

2 Likes

https://www.scamalert.sg/scam-details/investment-scam

This page collects recent methods of scammers to warn people.

Today I received an email from ā€œChase Bankā€ notifying me that my account has been temporarily suspended. When you open the email, it directs you to ā€œlog into your providerā€ link. Thankfully, I have three kids who are all computer savvy and my oldest studied cyber security so I asked him what to look out for. He told me to check the email address, check the bank logo, and the text font differences. He also told me to never click on the link provided but always log directly into the providerā€™s website. Too many scammers these days!:worried:

13%20AM

3 Likes

Sometimes you may not be able see the senderā€™s actual email address, until you hover over it. Then you will see the ā€œfakeā€ email address.

Also, most of scamming emails have some type of spelling or grammatical errors.

Some of the common suspicious emails/spams include, but are not limited to:

• They claim you won a lot of money or prizes
  • They send you links to check certain status (like shipping status), when you didnā€™t order anything
  • They say your account is or will be disabled for one reason or another
  • When they ask you to confirm your login name and password or any other personal/private information for any reason
  • When you get an email from your friendā€™s email address, saying something like they are in a bind in a foreign country and they need you to send some money quickly
  • Any ā€œurgentā€ or threatening phone calls (such as IRS calling you that thereā€™s some typ e of tax issue or FBI calling you that Iā€™ve committed some fraud and that I will be arrested if I donā€™t call back in 24 hours, etc.) They will mail you official letters if there really is any problem.

Like chotrio mentioned, if you are worried that these are legitimate email requests, then call the official phone number of the institution to confirm, not the number thatā€™s in the email you just received.

I personally never click or open any link sent to me via text or FB messenger, or email even if itā€™s from my family and friends, if the link came without any personal message. I will only open it after I send a separate message to the sender to confirm that this is something they actually wanted me to take a look. Iā€™d say about 50% of the time, it was something they sent and they were too lazy to tell me what itā€™s about, and the other 50% was spams that the senders had no clue about.

3 Likes

Yes, I always confirm this as well or I tell them that I wonā€™t click links in forwarded messages. A friend on mine got her phone hacked this way and she had to get a new phone and a new number. Really annoying.

4 Likes

I still get messages from amazon about my socalled bill, mover 100.00! b ut its not so and I did discover, Amazon doesnā€™t do it that way. so if anyone gets stuff like this donā€™t respond, as for chase, I also got some like that a year ago, If you donā€™t have a credit card donā€™t respond, if we give out our info, esp bgank accounts, well I learned my lesson well last year.
I also am getting facebook guys trying to have me friend them, again I discovered those guys are spammers. so yā€™all do be careful out there! oh yes the other one is I won money contact such & such, dont be ā€œsuckeredā€ into them!!

3 Likes

You are getting wiser, frustratedwriter-nim! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is pretty funny, of course, DONā€™T TRY IT AT HOME :wink:
3 Likes