Segue Cafe - meet up with friends to chat about whatever strikes your fancy

The above quote reminds me to share a :jamaica: Jamaican folksloristā€™s take on the expression of labeling languages that are, and are not, considered derived. Starts at marker 18:35.

@ilikedeadclowns

No such thing. They can learn Italian and Spanish if they wanted to, but is very hard for them, and even English which I consider easy to learn, is hard to understand them when they talk in English. To this day, I havenā€™t met one person from India that I didnā€™t have a real hard time trying to understand what theyā€™re saying bc of their heavy accent. I at one point thought it was Brazilian Portuguese but Google translate audio recognition took that theory down the drain. lol

at 23:00 She says someone called Jamaican corrupted English. Then she says maybe she should call English corrupted because it was derived from Norman French, Greek and Latin. Seems she was against calling languages corrupted (bastardized is a term that comes close). They mislabeled Jamaican because its roots have more languages than just English.

Meanwhile there is a linguistic term called Vulgar Latin Vulgar Latin | language | Britannica

1 Like

I found this word when I looked up the 4th official language in Switzerland which is Romansh in the Canton (State) of Grisons, so itā€™s considered a Vulgar Latin which is a very old form of Latin. I think most people donā€™t even know that there is such wording for it :grinning: The language must be a remnant from the Roman Empire that ruled in Europe.

2 Likes

The very thing! :blush: The exception is, it is commonly understood by the majority. By the way, how would you lable such bastardization? :smile::smile::smile:

A common example I often cite, is the Jamaican patois word Gweh!: Go Away! Which is similar in sound, and intent, and often heard, used, in Chinese dramas.
Simplified Han: 껚ļ¼ Traditional Han: ę»¾ļ¼

:laughing::smile: Right?! :smile:

1 Like

This is happening :worried:

Clip posted 3/13/2023

3 Likes

Oh my! How terrible! Praying for everyone.

3 Likes

itā€™s againā€¦ that must feel so hopeless, like the recent snow. Global weather patterns are changing drastically, where it should snow it doesnā€™t but snows where it usually didnā€™t. These changes are already in place and are unstoppable itā€™s partially due to humans but itā€™s also a natural process, nothing remains constant with and without humans; we have just accelerated these changes also due to abuse of planet earth through depletion of natural sources and pollution.

Quo Vadis. - Each year will be more difficult, more disaster, more political and economical problems/differences. Ukraine isnā€™t making it better :frowning:

Be prepared to tighten another notch on your belt in regards of future.
No matter what, stay positive, happy and be hopeful, enjoy the little things each day. :bouquet: :butterfly: :coffee: :sparkling_heart: :pray:

@leerla73 the Weather Channel is interesting!

3 Likes

Everyone else:
Leerla: Checkmate!

1 Like

1 Like

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

anyone??

/

4 Likes

Just stumbled over this happy news as I read about Lady Gagaā€™s song at the Oscars, and sorry wasnā€™t impressed, but the song that received Oscar was the ā€œunknown to meā€ Naatu Naatu" from the movie RRR not sure where the movie fits in, there are many -wood styles, Bollywood, Sandelwood, Tollywoodā€¦ :slight_smile:
I watched the trailer and Iā€™d like to watch this movie, looks action packed too!

They showed the song including the dance at Oscars as well, and WOW what a power pack!! - So happy they won, and their movie became globally known.

The choreography is only for the stamina filled dancers and I admire those two handsome lead guys doing itā€¦ itā€™s a mix of the old style dancing not sure the time frame but like Fred Astaire something, Lindy hop and some Indian traditional movementā€¦ really perfect arrangement!!! (how long did they train?)

See for yourself! (anyone knows what Naatu Naatu means?)

This is from the movie:

1 Like

Tollywood. Was dubbed into Hindi, Malayalam, ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– , and Kannada.

Seems to be dance, might come with some flavour. Natyam is dance for sure.
Better quality video. Starts at 05:04

1 Like

Wow! What a cool song and the choreography was amazing! So joyful and full of energy! Kudos to the stars of the film and all of the other dancers for their performances. I really liked how they adapted the original film choreography to the live stage at the Oscars. It was fun and lively. Definitely a breath of fresh air compared to the other song nominees that were rather somber, I felt. ( Although the pregnant Rhianna got a standing ovation from the crowd during the commercial break, according to news sources) Iā€™m glad ā€œNaatu Naatuā€ was the winnerā€¦

1 Like

4 Likes

5 Likes

3 Likes

My inner proofreader had to do something in order for me to watch one of Vikiā€™s recent offerings without feeling antsy and anxious.

I feel so much better now . . .

(My tweak . . .)

2 Likes

That has been bothering me, too @entwyfhasbeenfound! I appreciate being able to see the title properly, lol. Thanks.

1 Like

Iā€™m still looking for the league, much less the men, or man. I mean seriously. :expressionless:

2 Likes