Should it be LOUIS or LOUIE?

No, all this started much earlier than the drama: actually more than a century ago in America. Probably, when the name became Americanized, it had to become Louie if they didn’t want the “s”, because “Louis” in English would be pronounced with an S.
So people who wanted the French pronounciation had to drop the S, and wrote Louie, whereas people who wanted the S kept the normal spelling (as in Louis Armstrong)
Or maybe for some Louie became a variation of Louis. See here, there was an American TV series in 2010, called “Louie”, and its author was a guy called Louis. So here it seems as if Louie was an affectionate nickname of Louis.
After all, it follows the English convention of -ie being an affectionate, familiar form, something that your family would call you.
As in Bernard --> Bernie, Alfred–> Alfie. Maybe (I’m just guessing here) in the same way you can have Louis–> Louie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louie_(TV_series)
Louie is an American comedy-drama television series on the FX network that began airing in 2010. It is written, directed, edited, and produced by the show’s creator, comedian Louis C.K.[2] He also stars in the show as a fictionalized version of himself

1 Like

But there is really nothing American nor English in this Korean Drama, therefore since he resided in France and they gave him the name Louis, he should not just become americanized Louie… whatever the reason was they made him a Louie is beyond my understanding… I think this is a neverending story :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@sophie2you Oh, seeing these(thank you :kissing_heart:), I totally agree. :sleeping:

Initially I thought Viki must have gotten the directive from MBC or writernim/PDnim. Now, it’s so fuzzy to me how Viki makes the call to adopt ‘Shopping King Louie’ rather than ‘Shopping King Louis’(grammatically correct) or ‘Shopaholic Louis’(per official source). But I do notice that across Rakuten, it is ‘Shopping King Louie’.

So, Viki or anyone representing Viki, would you care to enlighten us? Thank you.

1 Like

Over Louis Jourdan’s dead body…wait. Er, he is already dead. Still…

People anywhere can pronounce things badly. We in USA would know it’s the same French name and pronounce it any way we please. :slight_smile: .

After all…it’s not a “lewisville” slugger… it’s “Louisville”…but pronounced with the “Louie” rather than the actual Louis of French proper speech.

However…no matter how we English speakers may slaughter such a name…it still remains that this spelling of “Louie” instead of the obvious “Louis” is a travesty, on either side of the Atlantic. :slight_smile:

Sophisticated English speakers will read it one way, those with less sophistry and more down-to-earth ways another…but isn’t the bottom line that correct is correct, and “Louie” is NOT?

Rebel. Spell it correctly and let them eat cake! :slight_smile: (Ok actually Marie Antoinette, wife of Louis XVI, said something about “well, if they haven’t any brown bread, perhaps they need to eat white?”. it wasn’t really cake but it was pretty silly. Dressing like a shepherdess, she was far from being the able daughter of Marie Therese of Austria…)

CD, HD

2 Likes

I think it was brioche? Which is white and sweetish.

1 Like

@irmar Yes, but it’s a legend. It seems that she never said this.

2 Likes

hmm brioche is yummy but I think the story or legend is a bit different, apparently goes back to the Ottoman Turks occupying Austria… they made the cookie alike crescent (like in Turkish flag) called Kipferl, Marie A. already in France wanted a Kipferl and the french bakers made a croissant… :blush: (Now I want a Kipferl!!)
Here the link: http://labadiane-hanoi.com/spice-conners/interesting-history-croissants/

1 Like

fizban6516h3
@irmar Yes, but it’s a legend. It seems that she never said this.

We have a saying in Italian: “Se non è vero, è ben trovato” = Even if it is not true, it is well conceived. / Even if it is not true, it is a good story.
Maybe not about Marie Antoinette (who otherwise was a very lavish spender), but about the whole mentality of the royal family.

Zhu Muzhi, president of the China Society for Human Rights Studies, asserts that the French version is an alteration of a much older anecdote: “An ancient Chinese emperor who, being told that his subjects didn’t have enough rice to eat, replied, ‘Why don’t they eat meat?’ (「何不食肉糜?」)” The phrase was attributed to Emperor Hui of Jin in Zizhi Tongjian.

Let’s say the phrase, although probably fabricated stuck in popular imagination because it is iconic of the obliviousness of the ruling classes, who were born with a silver spoon, of the difficulties faced by the poor. This could also be true of a chaebol son who lived essentially in the cocoon of his castle-like house. And that’s is the interest of this drama, seeing him learn about the life of the lower strata.

1 Like