Spam on inbox

One of my team members got a spam message on inbox about some offer regarding translation, as she is new here, I created a thread for people like her.
Staff will take care of them, if you receive any spam message mention here

2 Likes

https://www.viki.com/users/nielpatel1234_115/overview

This person messaged her

There’s often predators who would like their stuff to be translated for free. They are mistaken thinking doing that and translating on Viki is the same.

2 Likes

Yeah, may be and I asked her to post the screen shots here. @meena_bitra

She thought that the person was one of our community members and replied that she is interested.

1 Like

We had a spam post here, but since so many Viki staffers came and went away again, I just asked there if it is still working, if not they should just lock it up.

Spam in inbox, just go to the person’s profile and report him/her, Viki will look at it and most likely delete the profile.

Well, I hope for her, she didn’t give out a mail address or e-mail account. People need to be more aware, and if you get something like that in your email account coming out of nowhere. Win a TV or e-bike, shove it to the spam.

3 Likes

Can I report if I’m not the one who got that message.

No she didn’t as soon as they sent YouTube link she got suspicious and sent the screen shots to me on sns account

1 Like

I think you can, try it. Viki’s office will be starting work on Monday again. In cases like this, I think they will be more than able to access the private conversation.

2 Likes

She is a new user so she is restricted to post here temporarily so I’m posting the screen shots on behalf of her

IMG_20210912_213505

IMG_20210912_213518

1 Like

Why would you assume it’s spam or a scam? Maybe it’s just an online fan-subbing community. There are many all over the world, and most of them are passionate individuals, unlike Viki that is a commercial company.
Or maybe it’s just an innocent viewer, frustrated in not having subtitles for a drama s/he wants to watch, and thought s/he could ask for help here.
(Sometimes people offer paying translation jobs too, although this doesn’t seem to be the case).
Let’s not accuse people without any proof or investigation, but instead give them the benefit of the doubt. It won’t be too late to report them later if it’s indeed a spam-like situation. That’s what the law says, after all: “Innocent until proven guilty”.

4 Likes

The problem is how will you make sure the project they have has an official license, I don’t know much about other countries’ laws, but in my country a copyright infringement could be possible. Would you want to be part of it, if in your country it is not legal?

At least you should be aware of the problem.

1 Like

She actually joined about 2 days ago and just finished the test I gave her. She recently got to know about viki volunteering community and that’s why she got confused.

Whatever it is, even if it’s a viewer who is ignorant (or willingly ignorant) of copyright laws, or a member of another online community or whatever, it’s not the same thing as spam or scam. One could very well refuse the offer, but what I’m saying is first check the facts before accusing them and reporting them.

4 Likes

inbound4450019960361636709

1 Like