Still looking for translators (or other volunteers) to interview for my Master's thesis research

Hi everyone,

I’m an English Translation Master’s degree student in the University of Turku, Finland, and I’m writing my Master’s degree on fan subtitling here in the Rakuten Viki website.

My research has the objective of shedding some light on the motivation, working methods, and sense of community of the volunteer translators (and other volunteers) here.
I’m interested in hearing about why you decided to start translating here in Viki, what kind of experiences you have had, and how you work in practice.

If you are not a translator, but instead volunteering some other way (e.g. segmenting, coordinating), I’m equally interested in hearing about your experiences!

The interview will be conducted via email. Personal information of the interviewees will not be included in the thesis, and I will anonymize the answers, so that the statements of individual interviewees cannot be distinguished. All of the research data with the personal information will be destroyed within one year of my thesis being completed. The interviewees are also eligible to withdraw their interview anytime during the research process.

If you have any questions about the research, I am happy to answer them either here in this discussion, via message, or via email.

If you are interested in being interviewed, send me a message with your email address, and I will then contact you with the interview questions.

This a good opportunity to let other people, including professional translators and researchers of translation studies, know about the world of fan translation!

Looking forward to your replies and private messages.
Thank you for helping me with my research!

(If you have already sent me a message last year, when I posted this message for the first time, my apologies for not replying! I have had some technical problems, but I will now reply to all of the messages.)

2 Likes

@lotta_maria_siuro Hi Maria, looks like an interesting research. Have you published your work already ?

1 Like