Strange translations

Interesante e engraçado demais. :grin: Eu estou estudando português na universidade e gostaria de saber “idioms”. Se você pudesse me ensinar, por favor… Obrigada. :raising_hand:

In Korea, you pick up babies under a bridge. It’s a word play since the Korean word for bridge and legs are homonyms.

Que tal então: A vaca foi pro brejo (the cow went to the swamp). Significa: está tudo perdido (All is lost).

Ou, Uma andorinha só não faz, verão. Significado: Um só não é o bastante (One only is not enough).

Eu tenho outros tantos, se você tiver interesse.

1 Like

Muito engraçado. :relaxed: Sim, por favor, continue, eu tenho interesse, sim. Obrigada

Thanks, I didn’t know that!
I remember a line from Kim Sam Soon drama, about when he (Hyun Bin) replied to his mother, after she “asked” where he is coming from, something like “between President Na’s legs …”. That’s not exactly the wording but it wasn’t possible to translate it into German, since it would really sound weird so I chose “lap” in German “Schoß” and surprisingly I found out that “Schoß” has another English translation “womb”. So this would work fine but it does not work in the other way. “Womb” would stand for “Mutterleib”, as the mother’s body.
But since he was mocking his mother it wouldn’t have been the right choice, since the word “Mutterleib” is not really used in common conversation.

1 Like

One of my personal Portuguese fav: " Fala francês como uma vaca espanhola."
Literally: He/she/you (polite speech) talk(s) French like a Spanish cow.
Meaning: His/her/your French is awful.
It can be applied to any language but as a matter of fact, I mostly heard it used for French.