Suggestions about Korean/Japanese tv series for over 20s/30s and rating info

Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are welcome!

I have now finished Marriage, Not Dating, Oh My Venus and It’s Okay, That’s Love. I think I can update my personal chart:

-Fated to Love You
-Marriage, Not Dating/It’s Okay, That’s Love
-Good Morning Call
-Oh My Venus
-Last Cinderella
-Birth Of A Beauty
-Playful Kiss

Fated To Love You is still at the top, but I honestly don’t know if t’s because of Jang Hyuk, the fact that it’s been my first real drama, the great plot or the beautiful score (specially Destino). But I loved very much Marriage, Not Dating because it was adult, yet really funny and nicely light-hearted (very refreshing!), and It’s Okay, That’s Love because, so far, it managed to be the most original in its use of certain tropes. In any case, the 3 of them were all A level, I enjoyed them a lot even though, granted, after It’s Okay, It’s Love I really need something lighter… and a hug! :laughing:

Oh My Venus was nice, loved the two leads, but I felt the added drama in the second half was a bit pointless… a sort of “we need to drag things out a little, let’s add a bit more tragedy!”, which usually is a plot device that gets on my nerves. :wink:

In any case, I’m understanding more and more what I like in j/k-dramas and what I’m searching for. If only was easier to locate the right ones! :smiley:

I think, I got you now:

• you want the “modern” drama type
  • you want some “real” romance, not too much sugar coating
  • you do not want too much drama, like revenge or seperation

LOL - you are asking for a rare species of a drama, but non the less I think you should try to give QUEEN IN HYUN’S MAN a change, because Boong Do will give you a warm and fuzzy feeling.

1 Like

I had the chance to watch Queen In Hyun’s Man: you were right, their kisses were really amazing! :slight_smile:
In any case hahah yes, you really got me! :smiley: I’m definitively more for the modern type with real romance and not things like: “Oh my God, he kissed me! I’ll stay with my eyes wide open and I’ll pretend to be a statue because, even though I fell head over heels for this guy, I must act like he’s suddenly a pervert!” :laughing:
As far as the amount of drama, I can handle it, if well done. I loved Fated To Love You and It’s Okay That’s Love, which were quite drama heavy (specially the latter), but the plot was so good and the end so satisfying that I was ok with that. Granted, after those dramas, I like to watch something a bit light-hearted because I feel like watching 2 It’s Okay That’s Love types in a row would be a little bit too depressing. :slight_smile: But, as I said, the plot was very good.
Oh My Venus, on the other hand (don’t know if you watched it, I don’t want to spoil it for you) was blessed by two great leads, specially the handsome So Ji Sub, and was overall good but what I NEVER like in a movie/show it’s when it’s clear that the writers are actively trying to make the audience cry, hence pushing for tragedies that are pointless, narratively wise. That’s the impression I got with Oh My Venus (the second half).
I recently also watched One More Happy Ending, mostly because I love Jang Nara: it had a very promising start (the first 2/3 episodes are very funny, well acted, even a slightly spicy, with some sort of a Sex And The City vibe), but unfortunately it becomes very redundant and, again, with more and more drama that, as far as the main leads story is concerned, felt a bit forced: a way to delay the inevitable end. :frowning: If anything, it confirmed Jang Nara is one of my fave Korean actresses.
I just begun W, which seems interesting and quite unique so far, although I’m not liking very much the lead actor’s acting.
Yeah I know, I’m picky! :smile:

I don’t know why you found It’s Ok That’s Love heavy. I didn’t find it depressing, although the scene of the goodbye to the boy was heartbreaking.
You’re right about Lee Jon Suk, although I really liked him in Dr. Stranger and Pinocchio, in W he’s not at his best. He adopted a robotic way of talking which distanced him. I don’t know why he chose to do that. W was really great, the best of the best, for the first 8 episodes. Then it chose to disregard the romance completely in favour of a thriller action movie, and it ended on a meh note, leaving too many threads dangling. I was so pissed that it ruined my mood for days. Still better than most dramas, but thinking of what might have been…
I’m watching Beethoven Virus now, I’m midway and I’m liking it. The romance is secondary or even less than secondary, and there is a very interesting mentor relationship. A little bit like Entertainer, another good drama, only that here we don’t have only one good actor (fabulous Ji Sung) and some rookie/amateur actors, but we have two excellent actors and a good actress, so this takes it to a wholly different level. Not to speak of the music, which is a plus.

2 Likes

I liked IT’S OKAY IT’S LOVE a lot too and yes it had a heavy impact about traumatization and stigmatization of people with mental illnesses.

There was another drama that was in parts like it, it’s called HEART TO HEART, that I liked because of the main couple and the 2nd lead, they made such an interesting trio. They put in some extra angst as well, I still was glad that at the end it was handled in a good way by the main couple.

I think even WHAT’S UP FOX is not that new any more you should try it, it’s a noona dongsaeng story, With some unexpected turns for a Kdrama of that time. Enjoyed it a lot.

OH MY VENUS I have not watched it, I like the acotrs but the synopsis just didn’t pull me in and I didn’t have much time at the end of 2015 for dramas at all.
I expected a lot of ONE MORE HAPPY ENDING myself, I enjoyed most of it, but after finishing the drama, there was a so so feeling. And after some weeks I had trouble to remember some things happening in the latter half.
I liked W because the drama was something totally different and most of the time you couldn’t tell what would happen.

1 Like

I loved Beth. Virus, I think it’s inspirational and entertaining, Sookie looked and played convincing, or a i wrong?

1 Like

No no, I loved It’s Ok That’s Love, it’s one of my favourite so far. :heart_eyes: I didn’t find it “heavy” as in “boring” but, as I said, I think is “drama heavy” because there is a lot of drama; at the very least, that was my impression since I cried my eyes out! :slight_smile: Same goes for Fated To Love You, cried a lot with that, too. Regardless, I loved the fact that both had a satisfying, happy ending and I didn’t find them depressing (I’d watch them again right away) but, as far as I’m concerned, I wanted to watch something less drama loaded after they ended, just because I felt the need to laugh! :laughing: It’s the reason why I watch a Friends episode every time I need to cheer myself up for real. :wink:
Yes yes yes, absolutely agree about Lee Jon Suk: his acting choices do not work for me at all. Pinocchio is on my watchlist though, hopefully I will change my mind about him.
I will check out Beethoven Virus, looks interesting!

I managed to watch the first couple of episodes of What’s Up Fox, but for some reason I’m not allowed to watch it anymore.:sweat: It was quite fun and racy up to that point!
Yes, that’s exactly how I felt after One More Happy Ending. It was so promising at the beginning, so funny… and then, somehow, it lost its sense of humor with a plot that repeated itself over and over. I mean, how many times we saw one of the two main characters drunk, sitting outside their apartment? Probably each and every episode? The funniest scene of the final episodes has probably been the completely-out-of-the-blue Conan O’Brien cameo! :smiley:
Lee Jon Suk’s acting aside, I’m loving W so far (2 episodes left), maybe it’s getting a bit too convoluted but the the plot is interesting and original… let’s hope it doesn’t disappoint at the end.:smiley: