The New Episode Transition Feature Desyncs Subtitles

I’ve noticed that subtitles are delayed/desynced after the video player has transitioned to a new episode in full-screen, in desktop mode. I’m not sure about the mobile app. I’m saying transition because the page stays the same, but the video player changes to a new episode. It only works in full-screen. When you exit full-screen, the page will automatically reload. It’s a nice feature since there’s basically no loading from one episode to the other, but the subtitles stop working properly, so it’s sort of pointless. Actually, it’s troublesome for those who use subs.
Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know about this bug.

2 Likes

I just stopped watching judge to judge bc the subs are so out of sync it makes my blood boil. This bug has lingered here for so long but I noticed is mainly happening on dramas with English subs only. I wonder if that has relevance at all.

1 Like

From the support page, Viki is aware of the issue.
I wonder if it’s the same issue that I’ve encountered… In my case, the subs are delayed because of the new transition feature added to the video player. A simple page reload will fix it, so it might be a different issue then.

Anyway, viki.com is… Ehhh… Let’s call it a vintage website, so it breaks easily when new stuff is added. I’m sure they’ll iron all the bugs eventually, but it takes a lot of serious technical work, so let’s be patient with them.

1 Like

What a hassle just to watch some drama. They need to fix all this bugs going around at this site. And you are right about that, when they add a new feature something gets affected in the process.

The same goes when I write my subtitles, it always gives me the wrong number countdown, and to make it to the right countdown (100%) I have to reload the page over 3 times go to each part I subbed again before it register the 100% done. That never happened years back when I started subbing dramas.

1 Like

It actually does that for me when I’m casting to the TV and want to stop. Sometimes it doesn’t register my progress.

Of course, when casting, the subs first don’t show at all. The default language is set to “undefined”. You have to manually click to add them. And you have to do that for every new episode, too.

1 Like

I’m glad you mentioned this. A while back I noticed ‘‘vikibot’’ in a drama that was already subbed but needed some editing in the subtitles. I decided to close the episode and wait (I wrote about that here in Discussion). I went back yesterday to check, and see some of the segments ‘‘gone’’ . I couldn’t believe my eyes with what I saw but for some reason several of the segments were not really gone but made so small I had to go one by one and start opening them and making sure they were at the right timing.

I wonder if vikibot had anything to do with this. I was checking other episodes and so far it only happened in the episode where I saw the vikibot at.

1 Like

The mass desyncing happened because they were switching everything to the new server at the beginning of March :grimacing:

2 Likes