The "Viki Original" you haven't seen yet

It’s ok. Just write parts that you do know about and leave the Kami to others. Kami is just the Japanese word for nature spirits. They exist everywhere and have different names depending on where they are.

:rofl: :rofl: :smile: :sunglasses: :rofl: That reminds me of one time when I was in the Philippines, last century. We were driving somewhere or other out in the boondok and I saw these two guys trying to coax a very sad dog into a sack. That dog was hunkered down and did NOT want to move. Our car passed by so I didn’t see the end of that story but I smiled and told my hubby, “Someone is having adobong aso tonight.” Curried dog.

Oh, FYI. Dog was a ceremonial food for many tribes in the Americas.

3 Likes

So, my “thing” about Bu/Pu obviously has nothing to do with traditional Korean culture.

It has to do with Viki. It has to do with the fact that “young Korea” is very Western, “out-Westerning” the West with K-pop and the manufacture of incredible cars and the production of lines of clothing and accessories that rival England, France, and Italy, and European-style restaurants, pâtisseries, and boulangeries that rival those of Europe.

My favorite “foreign” film of all time has got to be Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi with Sharukh Khan and Anushka Sharma. A lot of its sweetness and charm and a lot of its heart-grabbing tears come from geeky Surinder scheming to win the heart of his wife who ends up as his wife in a VERY arranged marriage.

His process of transformation from geek to hunk (with the aid of barber friend Bobby) is hysterical. When he emerges as a cool dude wearing blue jeans, cowboy boots, a flashy shirt, aviator sunglasses, and a wild mop of shiny black hair, you can tell that’s who he truly wants to be–bold, confident, and totally there for the love of his life.

And in the scenes where Real Love is working in both their hearts, and they are both praying to be worthy of each other, the movie becomes a timeless storie; it shows rather than tells how important values persist and transform throughout generations. We may be modern and cool and ashamed of being thought out-of-touch, but Real Love doesn’t, as the saying goes, give a toss.

(Free Dictionary)

The number of jokes in K-dramas on Viki about poo, about farting, about having to go are innumerable. (And I have read several places that constipation of the kind complained about was not an issue in Korean culture until the introduction of Western . . . cuisine? . . . during the Korean War.

As for the “eternal triangle,” you have to remember that, in the process of discussing any story development . . .

when there isn’t any story yet . . .
when there aren’t any characters yet . . .
when they don’t have names yet . . .
when nothing is written in stone . . .
when nobody has committed to anything . . .

It’s all just concepts, ideas, food for thought.

And the reality is that . . . every good story I can think of that has stayed with me has two males who are bound together in one way or another by the love and concern of a woman.

Day Five of Tihar is Bhai Tika, right? Sisters show their appreciation for their brothers. It’s rooted in cultural, historical, and genetic realities in a lot of palces across the world.

The most foundational of which is, in order to maintain genetic diversity in human populations, it has been the case since the dawn of time that communities send young women out to be brides of sons, and they welcome young men in to be the husbands of wives. And in this situation, if a girl has strong older brothers, she’s more likely to be respected by the family that she marries into.

Plus, a family with brothers AND sisters ends up (in my view) being more socially at ease. Guys with sisters are not quite as clueless about women as guys who have no sisters.

And who are the peacemakers in families? Mothers.

A Nepali family I knew about ten years ago, very recently arrived in the US and managing to deal with culture shock fairly well, invited me for a meal (oh, major yum), and I discovered that the mom was the absolute rani in her home, in charge of seeing that her kids were properly prepared every morning with books, papers, pens, pencils, signed forms, whatever they needed.

She prayed to Laxmi, Parvati, and Saraswati for their success; she prayed for her husband’s success at work and favor in the eyes of his supervisor and boss; she took care of her mother-in-law; she cooked meals to stuff a whale for her family . . . and she absolutely bristled when I told her what modern American women thought of how she spent her life.

She was “old-fashioned,” but she was absolutely loved, honored, and respected. Her two sons especially treated her with respect because if they screwed up . . . oh, dear. The yelling, the finger pointing, the “how can you do this to our family” and so on.

The point is that one can be, I think, modern and timeless, silly and solemn, spiritual and earthy. That’s life. And jokes made in love never harm; they heal and bring together.

And it is the interplay of men and women, of human beings, in a variety of relationships–family, school, marriage, work, even just interactions in passing, that are at the heart of every human story. Otherwise, Viki would be all about cooking . . . robotics in industry . . . how to harvest seaweed for making gimbap . . .

1 Like

Don’t forget their homeless, and neglected elderly, and abandoned babies born out of wedlock. :wink:

1 Like

I love this! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I believe that too and you put it into words so well!

All right.

but they don’t have to be rivals in love! Moonlight Drawn By Clouds had a triangle but there was the third guy, the ninja who was best friends with the Crown Prince. He just grew to love the FL like a sister.
Suspicious Partner, DOTS, You are My Hero, Oh My Venus, Flower of Evil, and Tomorrow With You were great romances that didn’t have love triangles. But they did have SMLs who had their own stories and were also good friends of the ML.

2 Likes

Penthouse 3 has only 12 Episodes !!

This is not the thread for:

@perspective_of_life @shraddhasingh
You may want to segue to either one of these threads:

1 Like

Well, unfortunately, those aspects of Korean culture are both timeless and modern.

There is a saying from the Christian Scriptures, “the poor you will always have with you.”

Meaning on the one hand, that human existence since the beginning has been full of circumstances beyond the control of us all that can plunge people so unexpectedly into hardship. The United States is preparing even now to receive appro16,000 Afghani immigrants, many of whom will arrive here with . . . nothing.

(I know a couple, husband and wife, who are medical personnel in the USAF stationed at the base in Germany that is receiving ; even as I write, those immigrants on the first leg of their journey to a home they do not desire to have; they are working double shifts to give each person arriving a complete medical exam.

https://www.facebook.com/86thcommandteam/posts/1137857933411934

The brief message from the Ramstein Air Force Base commander is touching indeed.

And we all know of circumstances wherever we look; who can forget the ongoing work of St. Teresa of Calcutta and her Missionaries of Charity?

And I also find it immensely touching that, when “making puja” in very special circumstances, one of the things that Hindus do is offer clothes to God as a means of teaching their children the importance of compassion and self-sacrifice for those who lack material advantages. (At least that’s how my Nepali friends–both Hindu and Buddhist–explained it to me).

On the other hand, people fall on hard times because of deliberate choices they make–out of pride, out of ignorance, it doesn’t matter. They still experience suffering and loss.

I actually find Korean culture much more compassionate than American culture toward its members who experience these kinds of troubles.

(I have yet to see this particular movie online; it is such an unusual type of movie that it’s possible its niche market has been deemed too small to generate “useful” income. Whatever.)

But the “trope” of suffering humanity is not merely Korean; it is universal and therefore inevitably compelling.

Hate to be a broken record, but Devil Judge is gripping precisely because, IMHO, it addresses not merely Korean but HUMAN issues. It’s not everybody’s cup of tea, but its power derives from its universality.

1 Like

Because of the way I was raised, my parents were truly fierce about me presuming to think I could know anything about anybody through just skating on the surface of their lives.

I have a friend who is Japanese-American and grew up in Hawai’i. She is married to a Swedish-American computer programmer. Her father was a Senator in the Hawaiian [sp?] Senate BEFORE Hawai’i became an official state of the United States. Her family adopted Christianity as their belief system at some point after her immediate ancestors arrived in Hawai’i but were Buddhist before.

When she turned 60, her oldest daughter compiled a scrapbook of photos and letters and whatnot from friends, family, and other well-wishers.

I did a “script” for a Tom Baker Dr. Who episode that never got aired that involved the Doctor and his female companion from Hawai’i. She investigated strange happenings by shape-shifting (as the Shinto kami are supposed to do) into various innocuous items. She became a teapot at one point and a Coca-Cola vending machine at another point.

I have joked for quite a few years that, when I leave food out for the neighborhood cats who do excellent work keeping the rat/mouse population very low, it is like leaving offerings for kami.

If I don’t have the “patio” (it’s not exactly that) in my back yard swept clean, with food set out at specific times, one particular cat will sit in my driveway and wait for me to come out with trash for the trash toter or the recycling toter. And she will stare at me as if to say, “You’re late! Snap it up!”

There is certainly NO WAY Badger Productions could EVER fire someone who has such concern for presenting human beings in their best light and for treating all people with dignity and respect. That is, in my opinion, the response we need to the mess that the world has been in for the past few years.

Love, humor, cats, Kit-Kat bars, questions, poetry, a belief in the inherent value and dignity of all human beings . . . all part of a unique peace movement. Seriously.

People who live their values quietly every day, who don’t just talk loudly and then do essentially nothing, can have, IMHO, more of an impact than a thousand presidents and prime ministers.

(Giphy)

2 Likes

Oh, no . . . don’t kill the kami! No, no, no! Kami are benevolent protectors! They range from tiny backyard protectors with tiny shrines where householders leave food offerings to the Kami of the Sun who protects all creation. That’s why there is a rising sun on the Japanese flag.

(Please correct me on details anyone who actually lives with this knowledge on a daily basis.)

To use a word picture . . . _kami _ are like Rottweilers. Kind and gentle with “their” people. Mischievous at times when “their” people don’t keep the world around them in good order (just a reminder). But benevolent.

Raging, however, against those who would presume to harm the natural world or to do injustice or commit evil.

Kami who chose to interact with the human world and take on that form are always slightly “out of kilter” with regular folks. Something hard to pin down. But in their “real” forms, they are also definitely not part of our humble existence. A bird with two beaks, a frog with ears.

They are, if anything “super-real” . . . or maybe “sub-real” . . . depending on their roles and positions in the kami hierarchy. But as I have come to understand it, kami are by and large considered gentle, benevolent, immaterial, very small AND very big Rottweilers.

3 Likes

YIKES! You’ve got to be kidding me? What a horrendous idea! That is like killing our world!
Kami are the spirits of a place. They are nature incarnate and not so incarnate. Kami are to be respected.

That’s why in that scene I wrote above, they came out because of the destruction of their place.

2 Likes

Precisely what the initial draft is for. We figure out the overall story arc and I was just throwing in possible endings. The way I understand it, is that they are a kind of spirit or energy of things and they can be benevolent or a bringer of misfortune.

I may have not expanded on it at this stage just to keep the post as compact as possible, but in the other example I use the word banish which is more fitting in that you can’t really “kill” something that is not physical but just to stop the crazy things that has suddenly started happening.

I left out the comedy of the couple having to battle a hotel bathrobe like the invisible man that was the manifestation of the Kami in physical form, and the fact that it could shape shift also opens up avenues of possible scenarios, even if strictly that’s not how Kamis function, but this is a fantasy drama not a documentary so we’re allowed some “artistic licence”

I did have another possible arc:

“So what happens next? They get on the next available flight to Japan, the Kami is happy, the happenings stop, The End.” Quipped OSPD-nim and tries to think quickly of a possible scenario along that route.
“They can’t get the Kami home, and because of that the happenings become more frequent and powerful, the couple enlist the 2 shamans to keep a lid on the chaos being generated until they can get the Kami home.” Suggested PD-nim.
“Hang on a minute!” Protested missWillow launching half her bag of Snax into the air as she formed a big :no_good_woman:
“How would the couple know that they have to get the Kami home?” Challenged MissWillow and proceeded to offer her alternative.
“How about, the paranormal events get stronger and more frequent as the days past. So the couple seek the help of two shamans to see if they know what is happening to them. They are the ones who explain to the couple that the source to the disturbance was the homesick Kami and that they must return it to where it came from?”
OSPD-nim concentrated into the distance for a few seconds, then his eyes lit up, “YES! That’s the kind of ideas I’m looking for!” He picks up one of the puffs that has landed on his desk and uses it to point at MissWillow “Your idea is better and fills in a plot hole! We’ll go with that.” He tosses the puff up into the air to catch in his mouth but it just bounces off his lip to only land on the floor.
“Then we can have, Japan is in lockdown. The couple can’t convince the authorities to let them in the country as only the chaos is happening to them, The shamans are the only ones gifted to see the Kami, and the authorities refuse to allow a couple into Japan because they claimed it was an emergency that they had to return a hotel bathrobe.”
PD-nim picks up another puff to try again and misses, “Thus, delaying the return of the Kami and it’s now down to the shamans to keep a lid on the Kami from causing more chaos for the couple as they try to keep Super-Wipe going amidst the continuing chaos.”
He picks up another puff but fails again to catch it in his mouth, there are now more puffs on the floor than there are in MissWillow’s bag of Snax.

2 Likes

:laughing: :rofl: :slightly_smiling_face: :scream: :joy: :rofl:

The bored, materialistic, modern - “NON-superstitious” authorities would gift them a one-way ticket to the asylum.

4 Likes

Nice share @entwyfhasbeenfound, good information, for our fans to be in the know, it does take the rose glasses off. . .
I got most of my information from Asian Boss - “Stay Curious” - who covered more in depth on several videos, the very issues we both posted on, when seen without rose colored glasses. So, Ditto!
Here is a few of those videos, for any interested fans.

3 Likes

Your humor rocks :metal:t5::joy::rofl::sob:

1 Like

Lol we were talking how viki is delaying the release of episodes in Penthouse 3 :rofl: :joy:

@perspective_of_life

Lol! Yes, but this is the wrong thread for doing so. . .try one of the suggested threads, and then there are these threads https://discussions.viki.com/search?q=Penthouse%203%20order%3Alatest

This is a good reminder :point_up_2:t5: Badger Production, and all drama A-ddict-s, and fans participating, either as leads, support, cameo roles, or staff, and crew. :wink:
:fist:t5:!!

4 Likes

Tried to PM you about the Baby Box videos, got a message you are not accepting messages? Is it a glitch in the system? Or have you overloaded Discobot in some way it doesn’t like?

Wonderful videos. Just wonderful. And what IS it about you that you will not stop posting things that make me cry buckets!

Seriously, Pastor Lee and his work is so special.

2 Likes

Yes, i turned it off, under preferences. :upside_down_face:

Nope, nothing like that, not their fault this time.

You made discobot cry :disappointed_relieved:

I agree! :blush::+1:t5:

OK. Here’s a question. I just wrote a response about kami and Badger Productions and the ongoing pursuit of a production worthy of the little-known but superior creator of K-dramas, and I accidentally clicked on the tab I had open (one of several related to Viki topics), and now it’s gone and all my work with it. Toast. Does not exist. I did not have a chance to hit “Reply.”

Can what I wrote be recovered? Is there some sort of edit history as with Facebook or other social media platforms? Otherwise, I just wasted an hour writing and gathering images and whatnot.

2 Likes