The "Viki Original" you haven't seen yet

@ninjas_with_onions stroll into the Badger production office with half a cup of Amaretto Latte in one hand and a rolled up piece of paper in the other. Greeting in general to everyone “Nǐ hǎo! Kon’nichiwa! Annyeonghaseyo!” but is largely ignore as they continue to work as they had been for the past week.
He enters his office and begins to unfurl the rolled up piece of paper and a tacks it to the wall behind his desk with some sticky tape and falls into the his seat which has now been unoccupied for over 9 days.
@entwyfhasbeenfound leans on the office door frame and asked in a rather angry tone “Where the hell did you disappear to? Last we saw of you, you went out the door preying to some deity and smelling up the office with incense.” and enters the office with a feeling of déjà vu, even her déjà vu had a sense of we’ve been here before.
“Good question.” replied Ninja, “I was in fact hiding in a temple from the spirits that I’m certain were about when I announced Take Me Home, so I sought the sanctuary of monks and shamans whilst I planed the next move."
“And is that what that thing is you just stuck up?” asked MissWillow.
“Oh that, sort of. During my stay at the temple, I was sitting in a nearby cafe making plans and admiring their very quirky chairs that looked like drawings."
“when a shaman walked in and what I witnessed convinced me that here was a real deal, genuine, bona fide shaman with genuine mystical powers!” Ninja replied.
https://youtu.be/J7J1lNgwgXk
“So I called him over and explained my situation, with Take Me Home, the strange coincidences of everything going wrong all at once, etc. His eyes lit up and he said that he could see the ghosts of all the ancestors all around me that I had awoken with Take Me Home. I can tell you that when he said that, I had goosebumps all down my arm! I asked him if there was any way he, clearly an all powerful, mystical shaman could remove these ghosts of misfortune. His eyes lit up again and he said he defiantly could with a magical Korean talisman that he will write specifically for me!
However, it would require the power of the images of past Koreans on every denomination of bank notes for the talisman to take effect.”
wons
“I could see what he was saying had so much truths in it as the picture on each note looked enigmatic and all powerful for warding off ill omens! All this power for a mere 66,000 won and he wrote the talisman out himself!”
MissWillow looked up at the all powerful ‘talisman’ dangling on the wall with a small bit of cheap tape.
talisman
“And that’s the talisman he had made especially for you?” Smirked MissWillow.
“It sure is! I feel it’s powerful message enveloping me right now! Warding off any mean sprits to stay the hell away!” declared Ninja.
MissWillow makes a hasty excuses to get back to her desk before she is no longer able to supress the laughter building up inside. “You might… want to Google Translate those magical words.” she advised as she retreated to her desk from where she peered in to Ninja’s office through the window. She watched Ninja meticulously type the words
바보와 그의 돈은 곧 헤어진다
into Google Translate with the occasional glance back at the talisman to check his spelling.
There is a loud “AISH!” emanating from Ninja’s office which startled everyone as he ripped the talisman down as quickly as it went up. Ripping it to smithereens, he looks out towards MissWillow with a look of ‘not a word to anyone’ but it would be ineffective judging by the way MissWillow is now turned away from his office and her back and shoulders are quaking up and down from repressed laughter.

4 Likes

The Perfect Match

Midsummer is full of hearts

Temptation

5 Likes

How could I have forgotten the one from Perfect Match? :woman_facepalming:t4: It’s one of my original fave dramas.

4 Likes

It’s the only one I remembered, I searched on google for the other two.

2 Likes

And to think I already had the scene storyboarded for you curtesy of Badger productions props dept.
One canopy to keep the guy dry
LoversUmbrella
and the other for the girl sticking out the back! :rofl:

5 Likes

Is that really a thing? I’m dying. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Yes, it’s real, I think I came across it on AliExpress or Alibaba.

3 Likes
Summary

Added to my umbrellas collection the last two I didn’t have

2 Likes

Despite the fact that Onion-sama-PD-nim forgot AGAIN to bring back a case of Marmite bikki stix after scouting coastal, rainswept locations and gathering talismans from every fortune teller within a 75-kilometer radius of Seoul . . .

@my_happy_place, @leerla73, @kdrama2020ali, @vivi_1485, @shraddhasingh, @padmalayag, and the rest of the production team serving under Senior Drama Archivist @mas4 took a break from playing Go Stop in the hallway to pile CDs and film reels on PD-nim’s desk.

@kdrama2020ali tapped one perfectly shaped, pearl-pink fingernail on a stack. “Again with the front-office public relations artistic vision nonsense. ‘I gotta go out and FEEL the vibe! I gotta let the Five Elements speak to me.’ Yeah, right.”

She pulled a crumpled wad of invoices out of her thrift store but absolutely genuine Louis Vuitton clutch. She pulled out her thrift store but absolutely genuine gold-plated Parker classic gold-plated ballpoint pen engraved with her name. She spread each invoice out in front of the wary PD-nim and began to point at, check off, and circle items.

“So that’s catered box lunches for ten people that WE bought for everyone who’s oozing creative intent. 750,000 KRW.”

“And that’s TEN individually proportioned and monogrammed beach chairs at 1,000,000 KRW each. 10,000,000 KRW.”

“Plus mini-pavilions, plus gas grills, plus monogrammed individually sized Wellies . . . if you had just bothered the last time you were in the office to share your vision, we could have confirmed everything and spent nothing, well, almost nothing, and moved ahead with our production schedule!”

Senior Drama archivist @mas4 sat at her desk and looked at the ceiling. “So true, PD-nim. How shall I express myself in this moment? How shall I demonstrate that you are an utter imbecile without also showing a complete lack of social etiquette?”

“Yes,” growled @vivi_1485, pacing back and forth as she alternately glared at her empty coffee cup and the hapless PD-nim. “We have already done at least 25,000 different versions of your vision in the past seven years! What do you have to say for yourself?!”

The silence was deafening. @ninjas_with_onions looked down at his hands.

Miss Willow sighed, put her head down on her desk, and went to sleep.

She was startled back into consciousness by a loud shriek. PD-nim was jumping up and down, waving pieces of his talisman and his smart phone in his left hand, and a small ticket in his right hand.

“I WON! I WON!”

Immediately everyone knew what had happened. PD-nim had been walking around with THE LOTTERY TICKET taped to his chest for three weeks. In the midst of all the office nitpicking and anxiety, everyone had completely forgotten (well, almost everybody) about the announcement of winners.

More shrieking, laughter. Dancing on desks ensued.

Miss Willow nodded. “This changes everything. Now we can scout locations properly. Do we want windswept beaches in Australia? New Zealand? The French Riviera?”

PD-nim wiped his eyes with trembling fingers. “Oh, I’ve always wanted to go to Australia.” He smiled brightly at Miss Willow. “And then I can get a case of Mar–”

“Shut it!” snapped Miss Willow. “Don’t EVEN go there!”

6 Likes

PD-nim is sat at his desk looking at the plain piece of paper in his hand. He is reenacting all the CEO’s and people high up in the pecking order seem to do as CEO’s of a large company. I like these jobs that the elites do he thought to himself. All it takes to run a large successful company is to sit at ones desk and look at pieces of paper!
@ninjas_with_onions likes what he is seeing on the blank piece of paper. “Perfect! The stars are beginning to align. The ‘Viki Original’ you haven’t seen yet is starting to take form.” The empty sheet slowly filling with the idea of the trials and tribulations of Badger productions as it struggles onwards to produce it’s first major hit drama.
He looks out into Writers Dept, he smiles slightly to himself like a proud father, he has high hopes that they have the talent to pull it off with a little guidance.

4 Likes

I hope the location picked is New Zealand!:+1:t5::rofl: We need to book flights, and select customs. There’s lots to get done (ノ゚0゚)ノ
:joy: heavens knows we’ve got to get moving before this strikes again :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

:smile::smile::laughing::smile:

5 Likes
Summary

I’m so Bohemian and this is SO me and you used my favorite Junho song FEEL - you know me well!:purple_heart:

2 Likes

lmao!!! I had miss this thread since 12days ago? Where was I at?. What a riot you guys are.

6 Likes

@angelight313_168, we laugh, we cry, we love the K-drama tropes. If you were part of a production company planning to make a series that would be licensed to, and shown exclusively on the Viki website, what would be your role.

I seem to have become the office receptionist, sort of. About 16 years ago, I was a receptionist for a time in the Economic Development Department of the City of Rochester, NY. I am letting out all the cranky comments I wanted to make for years. Also, I get to sleep on the job. And eat at my desk, which I was never allowed to in real life.

(I Dreamed a Drama)

As you can see, the CEO/Producer/Director of Badger Productions is a character who needs all the help he can get. He is the dragon who rose out of a ditch–a relatively successful, intelligent and creative figure who has so far made it as a result of great determination and belief in his own potential. He was not born with advantages; he created them, and people have noticed his work.

(Viki screen cap, Monthly Magazine Home)

However, it seems he is about to get misled by his ambition and by bad advice. He has won a big lottery prize which will enable him and his production company to invest in some much needed equipment and do some pretty sophisticated location scouting.

Will he lose his prize money by spending it to suck up to chaebols and entertainers? Will his brother-in-law scam him with information about a sure investment?

(Viki screen cap)

Or will he resist a lot of stupid behavior and get Badger Productions on a flight to . . . New Zealand? Will he discover that Kiwi fruit sorbet is what he has wanted to taste all his life?

(from FoodService)

Will he get mobbed at Incheon airport when two hundred crazed fan girls mistake him for the manager of a K-pop boy group called Snax?

(from BBC)

Will he lose his memory and spend twelve episodes thinking he’s the owner of a gas station?

(from Binged–Attack the Gas Station, 1999)

Will the rest of the staff at Badger Productions be able to keep their dream from being side-swiped by an exploding white panel truck of doom?

“We have to find time to save the boss from himself AND exfoliate! It’s a challenge!”

(from Business Upturn)

Stay tuned!

5 Likes

3 Likes

Will we

I somehow can hear this :point_down:t5: in perhaps a flashback scene, or something, yea! :wink: That pile of cds, and film reels on your desk PD-nim :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

Just DO NOT include Arirang or I will personally change both the level of the world oceans and their salinity.

2 Likes

1 Like

@my_happy_place

I thought I’d bring this here as it will go way off topic in is it real or a drama thing but here it’s perfect as we’re developing scripts to a yet to be drama!
Let’s try writing a draft for an ugly duckling story. It just has to be a rough outline of what you expect the writers or producers should do to be creative for the negative phase of the ugly duckling story arc.
Only rule I stipulate is that it’s an ugly duckling story not the poor girl/rich guy story, so anything visual goes i.e. a person is ugly because of spots, wear glasses, has a perm/pony tail(??! :man_shrugging:), short, fat, etc with the full arsenal of tropes or stereotypes, could you come up with something better (that Badger Production can pinch! :rofl:)
A few points to consider
The thing(s) that disadvantages the character has to be negative otherwise why the need for transformation if they were just average. i.e. no one ever got bullied for being average.
How drastic the transformation. If the transformation is from negative to average, would anyone notice average. So does the transformation have to be from a negative, pass average to a positive i.e. the average people notices the beautiful.

side note: I only know of True Beauty and My I.D. is Garnham Beauty for ugly duckling stories so if you had another show in mind that you were more critical of, do tell.

6 Likes

Stories are what we tell each other to affirm our humanity, to point out what is anti-humanity, to teach the ignorant, to remind the erring, and to promote conditions for the flourishing of humanity generation by generation.

There are a million ways to tell stories, depending on lots of factors. Language, culture, audience, but there are only a few basic stories, at least from the perspective of some.

There are others who say there are eight basic plots.

To date, out of all the possibilities for story telling, we seem to have some ideas, some images, some suggestions for music that are all very evocative, funny, definitely in keeping with the spirit of “Viki-ness.”

In terms of plots, characters, tropes, costumes, or whatever, I think we have a lot to work with already. If we just start with what we’ve got, do a very rough draft or story board or whatever, and then expand on that, we can save ourselves a lot of angst and floundering.

So . . . what have we already got?

• Brother versus brother–very ancient story in many cultures
  • Thriller genre - very popular type of Viki drama
  • Umbrellas - beautiful, symbolic, funny
  • Beautiful music
  • Beautiful costumes
  • Specific “types” of characters - Chaebols, idols, average folks
  • Mysterious locales and behaviors–mean streets, kidnapping, gambling
  • Daily living locales and behaviors–buying cup noodles and snacks, squabbling, shifting responsibility
  • Dreaming of the future locales and responsibilites–beautiful natural landscapes, working hard, nobody left behind

All of these are in support of the concept that, in the end . . . even the dummies, the meanies, and the losers are redeemable.

It seems that the above forms a pretty solid structure to build on.

I forget what T-drama I watched several years ago in which the script writers made fun of almost every Asian drama rom-com trope there is, but it was pretty funny. There were a number of heart-pounding, nail-biting moments interspersed with moments of wonderful, self-deprecating comedy relief.

We need to make sure we have fun doing this.

Since we are pooling a number of linguistic and cultural resources, I’d like to suggest, as someone who is a Jungian and not a Freudian in terms of symbolism and structure, why don’t we start at the very beginning . . . dive into the collective unconscious and pull out just who our characters ARE . . .

Once we know who they are, then the story they have to tell will become more apparent.

3 Likes