This weekend's volunteer tools meltdown and lack of RESPONSE

@anon20195650 @mariliam

My story is not unique, it is the experience now of many Team leaders and members across this site.

I’m posting this as I’m finally going to stop trying to figure out if anything other than a couple of dramas are working. The same problem has been happening yesterday and now all of today - and I give up. I have filled in tickets. I have posted to the “community” board. I have posted HERE even, hoping to be heard and get some response. NOTHING AT ALL.

I’ve answered questions and tried to do what I could with frustrated Team members, in an absence of ANY RESPONSE other than an autoreply to the tickets. :frowning:

Our PROBLEM is not even shown on the vikitwitterstatus, yet it is widespread…sitewide. Only a few dramas have working tools at all.

If this is an experiment by someone, it’s not funny. If someone was “supposed to send notice”. they failed to.

For a site that actually celebrates the GLORY of communication WORLD-WIDE, it would be nice to get an answer.

On the off-chance this is finally heard, somehow, and things get repaired, I’ll see the rest of you Monday.

packs up soapbox, and walks off.

4 Likes

I’m not even having a huge channel right now, but there are a handful of new subbers (as in new on Viki) who joined between Xmas and New Year, and they, alongside the old ones, are freaking out since Friday. As a result, I might lose some of the best ones, due to the lack of response. 'Cause they’re not buying the “I don’t know what’s happening, and no one tells us” anymore…
Well, not to mention that I’m working at a couple of aired dramas as a Romanian mod, and most of the ladies are moms who have a couple of free hours only on weekends. It didn’t work for them (or me) in that area. At all, this weekend…

I can’t access the subtitle editor, it’s telling me that the video doesn’t exist. Is this the problem that you guys are talking about? Can’t believe no one’s talking about it, it’s such a CRITICAL ISSUE! Made me panic quite a bit, actually. Thought to myself, ‘What in hell is going on??!’

Yeap, that’s the one…

1 Like

When I encountered that, I just went back and forth a couple of times from SE to ST to TD and then everything worked all right.

I think for such fallout of such scale Viki needs a stand by team to be able to reach out to. As we know on the weekends it is usually silent from the Community staff, but in a case like this, there should be a hotline ready! Do they understand that folks have usually more time to work on projects during weekend hours than during week hours? :tired_face:
@irmar I read your recipe for fixing it several times and tried it several times, it’s not working at all.

It worked until yesterday. Today it’s not working for me either.
I didn’t know this when I wrote here, because today I had been working on dramas which don’t have this problem. Sorry for raising up hopes.

Yeah the ONLY thing that is working, and I DID post this several places and sent it to a couple of Teams is this:

Open Bulk Translator, IF the episode is unlocked. Then run the video (playing) cause it will play normally to WATCH IT) in a second window and then use it to reference in BT, otherwise you will find it tough to manage the subbing in many of the more challenging dramas.

That’s all that’s working. Be sure it’s saving, as NOTHING IS FOR SURE.

I have also noticed we now have some new things - movies etc - now OPEN without CM’s selected…and a free-for-all has started there too. Someone will really have a mess on their hands, oh so lucky…

Whatever is going on has now hit the point where one truly wonders what the motive behind THE SILENCE IS besides driving every CM and moderator…and power sub/segger on the site insane?.

“What should I say, if anybody asks me to do a prayer or something?”, said Sir Cedric to the Fool.

“Pax vobiscum.”

“Pax vobiscum?”

“It is better than nothing. Leave quickly!”

…I guess we’ll know more - or even less - by Monday - when the on airs will load or NOT load? Seeing as this requires “human” intervention somewhere by an overlord or overlords unseen…

…back to answering more frustrated PMs…

2 Likes

It could be this site was hacked. It happened with my cable company too, and days laters we didn’t have netflix for 3 days. We were informed they were both hacked.

They must be very busy trying to resolve the problem.

1 Like

possible, but unlikely that the on airs would remain up - this looks more like some systemic issue or change - it is a bit selective?

so far, not aware of any on books answering the helm.

anyway - it all is speculation in the absence of communication from the overlords.

odd, too, that videos that don’t exist, somehow play well enough if you watch them…rather than work with them. Thus not a giant influx of tickets from fans? (and oddly, recently completed on airs are struck too - king’s woman now claims to have a license or regional restriction?..)

we have tried all hailing frequencies to get overlord attention. we have found the only fixes we have, and done what we can to aid our own.

it is now time to well, yeah, wait for rescue by boffins bearing donuts and life rafts…

pax…vobiscum,

https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115009227967

1 Like

These are copies of the two tickets I sent in - automated responses I got on 1/5…A Scholar Dream of Woman is a Chinese drama. I think it is now clear I spend too much time working on this site…

Anyway - Thank you for your posts, and I look forward to working with you at the two dramas we currently share. :slight_smile:

pax vobiscum

**Viki Community Support - episode 39 of a scholar dream of woman says the video does not exist - intermittently gives you the black sorry it does not exist screen?? **
Inbox
**x **

Viki Community Support support@viki.zendesk.com
Jan 5 (3 days ago)

to me
##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Hello deadliftdiva_548,

Thank you for contacting the Viki Community Experience team. This is an automated reply to let you know we’ve received your request and we’ll get to it shortly.

To update your request, simply reply to this email or visit this link https://support.viki.com/hc/requests/377930, where you can also track the status of your ticket. For reference, your help request number is 377930.

Best,
Viki Community Experience

AND THEN THIS ONE as it became CLEAR THIS WAS NOT JUST ONE DRAMA:

Viki Community Support - a lot of videos are now saying they do not exist…not just 39 at scholar dream. several Teams elsewhere also report this
Inbox
x

Viki Community Support support@viki.zendesk.com
Jan 5 (3 days ago)

to me
##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Hello deadliftdiva_548,

Thank you for contacting the Viki Community Experience team. This is an automated reply to let you know we’ve received your request and we’ll get to it shortly.

To update your request, simply reply to this email or visit this link https://support.viki.com/hc/requests/378005, where you can also track the status of your ticket. For reference, your help request number is 378005.

Best,
Viki Community Experience

Hope to meet you there, too! (These next few days will be a lil tough for me, work :wink:

I had 1 day dedicated to communication and there was a coach in communication. Some of her sentences are still left imprinted on my head. She said: when we do someone a service/a favor, or a free gift, before accepting, think of 3 things:

1. Do we want to do it?
  2. Do we have the competences to do it?
  3. Do we have the time to do it?

So all of these 3 things, we should say “yes”, otherwise, it’s better to say no.
And the most important thing, she said to give without return (free gift), don’t expect something in return, otherwise it might become a burden for the other part who will feel indebted to us or for us, we can feek frustrated because we’re actually waiting that the other person do something back.

So I decided not to expect anything on Viki or from Viki, volunteers or viewers when I contribute. Just enjoy!

Hope you still have some space for chocolate because sending you a bunch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for the chocolates. :slight_smile:

In virtual or real world, there are never enough of them. :slight_smile:

pax vobiscum