Too many people with Memory Loss in Korea :)

Very thorough list irmar! I’ll just add a few.

Let Me Introduce Her (2018): Female lead gets memory loss after undergoing plastic surgery. With the help of her plastic surgeon doctor/friend, she works to rediscover those lost memories.

Black (2017): The Grim Reaper cannot remember why he became a grim reaper, and while working with the female lead, he realizes how they are connected. The female lead also somewhat has selective memory.

For Chinese drama…
Goodbye My Princess (2019): The couple both jump into the River of Forgetfulness, and recover their memories mostly near the end of the show.

9 Likes

I added them to the list, by pruning some more words from my post. I was already over the allowed 10.000 characters, and I had to eliminate much of the descriptions in order to keep the whole list in one post.

(I didn’t even touch Chinese or Japanese dramas, first of all because I’m not knowledgeable, and secondly because the thread would become a river. And well, thirdly because the original poster was talking about Korea)

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response. Wonder if the writers know that the viewers are getting tired of the same go-to plot. It looks like the writers require a back story for the characters and start the real story in the second episode and they go to memory loss to deal with the actual real story line. But it does not have to be memory loss, or a back story required. I am actually getting tired of characters with heavy back stories.

“Melo is my nature” actually makes fun of writers doing that, and the main character wants to do a TV series without these stereotypes, it was a very intelligent series but slow, not sure the ratings would have been high for that one, but i liked it.

Ram

6 Likes

I suspect that Korean viewers actually like those tropes. Otherwise there would be no reason for the writers to use them so much.
Same with the “They knew each other as children”. I was complaining about it somewhere, how childish and over-used it is, and some Koreans and Japanese came to say “Oh, no, I love it when this happens, it means they were destined to be together”
Obviously the Far Eastern viewers have different tastes than we do in some matters. And that would explain things that are otherwise hard for us to understand.

6 Likes

Oh wow! You have been keeping track for sure! What a list! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:
Seeing is believing, though. It’s such an overused concept, now I am really not too keen on such plot devices, even if they try it a little differently each time.

K-writers out there, please try something fresher and new. PLEASE!

They are not exempt. To be fair, it’s not just K-writers. But I don’t think Cs or Js are anywhere near as overplayed as K-dramas (or perhaps I’ve watched far more K-dramas than those, lol). Just from a comparative sense of it :roll_eyes:, not based on any list like the above.

Gosh! I agree. This is another overused, overplayed plot device. Same with being orphans and growing up in the same orphanage; same with being “a destined pair”. :roll_eyes:

They obviously don’t as of yet. Or can’t be bothered to try something else. After all, K-dramas are so popular worldwide, I guess they believe viewers will just take whatever they dough out, esp. with chest-baring oppas :hugs::relaxed: (I hope I’m wrong here). The day when we see more of something fresher, something new, being explored, would be the day we know they know it’s time to serve viewers new ideas, not reused and overused ones such as these - memory loss, childhood connection, destined to be together, etc.

Having said all of the above, I am sadly still too in love with Kdramas to ignore them. Oh well, a bathroom break or two, or a snack break or two :coffee::cupcake:, isn’t too bad? :crazy_face:

PS: Actually, I am far more upset and mad :rage: with a horrible ending, than any of the above.

7 Likes

again I repeat, vampires, whiches,(and our mispelled words!) did that on purpose, mermaids, Aliens, Atlantis mystery, and some of myths some Korean/Chinese myths & legends
hey that 9tailed fox was cute so why not some of these. I got an idea!! being we are so bored why not sit down and write a story and send it to the writers, well they can redo whats need to be redone… hehehehehehehehe, yeah right!

really some of these shows like the amnesia, remember the mind problems like psychological problems, last year, few years ago the vampires & witches, ghosts and such. you are right why can’t they come up with something we can enjoy and please no robot stories!! cooking themes might be good, not like the guy with a memory loss,that new one, I will watch today7. the rich guy poor girl, run in the ground!! a genealogy mystery

a cozy mystery, agatha chrity type the sherlock holmes ones they had here was nice, and enjoyable, getting tired of the lovey dovey type stories, too many of them. I don’ t mean to sound like I am knocking them, or I don’t like them ,I do, its just too many.

I did love Kill it, and hated the ending, they could have done something better. that guy didn’t have to be killed!!, healer my favorite, yes the memory loss, and the triggered memory just gotta live with that I guess. loved kill me heal me, but 7 annities? well can’t forget the faces of eve, sorry that was an english one.weird is all.Irmar a great list I am not going to respond to all of them, a or most were good that I what I watched/

oh yeah Black, we cant forget that one! oh yeah they knew each other as children, cinjderella ^ four knights, I know we are discussing amnesia but thats just one .

and yes still love Kdramas.
so as you can see granny is bored!!! hehehehehehehehe

4 Likes

I found some interesting ones no memory loss my roommate is a detective, I have got to watch that essentric chef. and memory loss? think I will watch that today/ Blessings y’all have a great day!

1 Like

Here is your reply, my friend. There are always some people who actually love this. And not only East Asians, apparently.

(The screenshot is from the Timed Comments of “I’ll Go To You When the Weather Is Nice”)

met%20as%20kids

5 Likes

i have started to watch, i also hate bad endings I have go0tten into more genealogy lately, crocheting, sewing and planting my garden. so not as bored

3 Likes

Totaly agree with you :laughing:

1 Like

that eccentric chef, I really hope it gets better.today I plan to do some cooking, found a recipe I gotta try! only reason I got the ingredients! hehehehe

It won’t. It’s a dinosaur drama. It feels as if it has come directly from the 2000s. If it weren’t for things like mobile phones and modern cars, I could have been mistaken about its date. All the old cliché plot devices, the old situations…
I still watch it, just before going to bed. It’s calming. And because I had missed Eric Mun’s dreamy eyes so much.

2 Likes

heres another memory loss one, anyway seemed that way, rich guy poor girl. it is now getting boring but going to finish it. and think I did that wrong, its face rrecognition, he doesn’t remember faces. weird is all

a new one is about the chef and that woman designer, shes forgetful due to an accident. hope it gets better yeah excentric chef. and irmar I am on 3rd episode, he played in that another whats her name, sorry can’t think of it at the moment.

2 Likes

Okay, I know this topic is really old and @irmar had blessed us all with a huuuuuuuge list of amnesia dramas… I checked every single one of her reccs. I watched 100DMP, Shopping King Louis, The Girl Who Sees Smells, Familiar Wife, Goblin, Legend of the Blue Sea, W, Suspicious Partner, Who Are You School 2015, and Psychopath Diary.

However, I wasn’t really satisfied with any of them, except Psychopath Diary, Shopping King, and maybe 100DMP. Are there any more interesting dramas revolving around amnesia? Ones where one of the main leads has amnesia, and proper amnesia, not selective memory loss like in Suspicious Partner, or past-life amnesia like in LOTBS, or different-dimension/time-slip amnesia like Familiar Wife.

Has anyone found any? I really like the concept but they usually aren’t executed well and there’s no point watching a train-wreck just for a trope I like.

4 Likes

Oh, dear! After looking at your Dropped List - I don’t know what to recommend as most of those dramas have suspense, melo and heartache to offer … LOL and you are dropping them like hot potatoes.
So, what else can I suggest, than one show that has it all - a guilty pleasure, you can’t really tell, why you keep on watching, but you can’t escape the spell. Okay, maybe you can, well try it anyway …
It is from Taiwan.

This one has a lighter note, still amnesia is tragic, you know :wink:

3 Likes

Good luck on your hunt! You’ve named the few I like and I don’t know all of them. I will tell you when I come across them. :face_with_head_bandage: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

:sweat_smile: My friends really would kill me if they saw the dramas I’ve dropped… some of them are their favorites! I usually don’t really like melo/heartache in general, but there are some I’ve enjoyed.
Thanks for the reccs! I’ll check them out!^^

4 Likes

Why so critical? :wink:

4 Likes

I think a lot of us forget to just enjoy dramas nowadays. In the craze for absolute political correctness, freshness, actor-scandals, different-ness, level of PDA, and the like, we forget that these dramas were made to entertain us, to inspire imagination and offer comfort. I find cliches oddly comforting. I know they’ll always be there, and they make me happy when they’re executed creatively.

4 Likes

How can an old, rehashed cliché inspire anybody’s imagination? As for me, I found those things entertaining the first ten times I saw them. After that, it was just repetitive and boring. When you know exactly what is going to happen (although you’re watching the drama for the first time), half of the fun is gone!

2 Likes