Translation dilemma

Hmm… I see your point. I’ve never thought about it this way.

1 Like

Apparently, this is a sensitive topic, so I’m only going to ask you:
Speaking of translations, what’s your take on using volunteers to sub dramas?

I’m not very sure about what you mean, or what you’re asking for exactly.
Is the question: “Should viki use volunteers?” and “Should people sub for free?”
In that case, my opinion is
“One side is free to ask, and the other side is free to say yes or no according to their wishes”.

I’m a volunteer here, but I happen to be a professional translator in “real life” so I’ve applied for paid jobs elsewhere. I mean, there are doctors who have a regular job in a hospital still they choose to volunteer sometimes when they think it’s worth it.

If viki didn’t have this volunteer system, videos would only be subbed in English, Spanish, maybe also Chinese and Portuguese, that’s all. It’s the volunteer system that allows for dozens of less popular languages to exist here, and so many other people all over the world to be able to enjoy Asian drama.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your opinion and reply !!

I was asking because a lot of viewers are complaining about the slow subtitles. I mean, it took more than 2 years to finally translate Honey and Clover, only to become unavailable the moment work had completed. Seriously ?! :cry:
Of course, people have jobs and families and… Well, lives. I do appreciate their effort, but I don’t like how VIKI, a for-profit company, is doing business.
Sure, a VIKI pass includes access to dramas, HD viewing and no-ads. Subtitles are not provided, but I also have an HBO GO subscription, and that one offers everything, including dubbing for certain movies. Sadly, no Kdrama… :frowning:

I know nothing of this service, so I cannot comment on it. But I assume it doesn’t provide subtitles in dozens of languages, right?
Yes, volunteers understandably work only on shows they are interested in. That’s the flip side from the point of view of the viewer.
Different people have different needs and priorities. For my Greek friend’s mom who cannot read English, the existence of Greek subs is not only a priority but the only prerequisite. Without viki she wouldn’t be able to watch anything. Other people understand English well, so they couldn’t care less for other languages, their priority is to be able to watch any drama on a website with English subs, and if any drama is not available in English they feel frustrated, although there are dozens more to choose from.
It is possible that viki is not the best fit for you.
Ultimately, the important thing is for each person to find a service which caters best to their specific needs.

2 Likes

True ! It’s best to find something that suits you.

1 Like

@adrianmorales

NETFLIX has all of viki’s K dramas, Chinese, Japanese, including movies. Is very affordable and it also has international dramas worth watching! (WAVE from Netherlands was awesome!)

I love the documentaries they are excellent.

1 Like

Thank you very much! I’ve been meaning to check-out Netflix now that it has become available in Europe.

Merry Christmas !

1 Like

@adrianmorales

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY BLESSED NEW YEAR to you and your family.

Check LUCID DREAMS
my only love song- korean (I swear not lying watched 3 times already loved it so much!)
WAVE (from netherlands)
Tsunami (from Spain a real life story)
BLACK (korean version) not grim reaper.

It also has a lot of viki’s drama fully subbed. Oh my ghostess (one of my fave) and many, many more.

1 Like