Twinkling Watermelon, how accurate is the sign language?

idk but it really fascinates me that our hands can be used as a mode of communication…i know some american sign language however i would love to learn korean sign language too.

1 Like

In case the topic is still relevant, I saw in an interview Shin Eun Soo said that she learned the sign language for the character, and also another interview where Ryeoun said he also learned the sign language and the script was also translated into sign language so when they were not proficient enough, they practised the translated version to accurately portray it.

p.s: a cute video of the cast using sign language to greet fans :slight_smile: TikTok - Make Your Day

1 Like

I haven’t watched this drama, but since you mentioned the use of sign language, I will look forward to it. I am deaf, and used to being around ASL= American Sign Language. In my college years I do recall being able to communicate with foreign deaf students, but some signs might be different as well certain signs that seem similar might have had a different meanings. However, we still found a way to communicate.

3 Likes

In ASL-American Sign Language which is the official language for the deaf in the usa. We do not use complete sentences, and sign each word. The way you use your facial expression are actions, verbs. A simple basic example.

Hello my name is ----, and it is very nice to meet you.

In ASL you do the sign

hello, name, fingerspell out your name, then sign nice to meet you

You do not sign is, etc. that’s like unnecessary filters in a photo … lol … I hope my explanation makes sense.

I cannot speak on KSL=Korean Sign Language since I am not familiar to it, but looking forward in learning it as well the language so when I visit South Korea. I can imagine though korean sign qill be unique as their language, but I do hope is much easier to learn.

3 Likes

This might help: https://owlcation.com/humanities/learn-korean-sign-language

2 Likes

thank you, the video is indeed really cute, i heard shin eun soo initially struggled with sign language so while acting she tried to remember how her character felt in order to pass on her emotions correctly, she dead a really wonderful job i really admire her

1 Like

An another good drama where they use sign language is Tell Me That You Love Me. It’s about a guy who became deaf as a child and he’s often misunderstood so he’s quite a loner. He really loves painting and that leads to him becoming less lonely. It’s not on Viki though as far as I know but I thought let’s mention it anyway

1 Like