Unusually Long Subtitling Time (Replying to Complaints)

True, that. Viki is the only one that offers all those languages under the same roof. Although each country has local fanssub sites in that particular language. And an Italian speaker, for example, if he or she can find videos with Italians subs on an Italian site, doesn’t give a hoot that the site doesn’t also carry Polish, Arabic or Hindi.

An interesting fact is that we have all seen that Spanish and Portuguese whiners are just as many as English whiners. French, Italian etc. are far behind on the “whinometer” and I have yet to see a German, Polish, Russian whiner. I suppose they write in English to be sure they are understood.
Which leads to another interesting thought.
Although Spanish and Portuguese speakers are I think 99,9% from Spanish and Portuguese-speaking countries, writers in English can be of any nationality and every continent in the world. So if you take that into account, you can say that the Spanish and Portuguese speaking whiners are as many as the collective sum of all other nationalities put together. Fascinating, huh?

1 Like

And maybe that’s also because people don’t want to depend on subs of their own language. Personally I never watch Kdrama with Dutch subs and I know quite a few don’t do so either. I would only switch to Dutch if I watch a Kdrama with my mom or something but she isn’t interested in Kdrama. And next to that I know there are not that many active Dutch subbers and they already have enough on their plate as it is.

2 Likes

Actually, I think it’s better to do something instead of nothing. It’s best to “educate” and “inform” the viewers, that’s good customer service.

It’s a shame that our world has so many people with issues of entitlement (the belief that one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment).

3 Likes

I’m so used to watching stuff with English or no subs that when I watch a subtitled sth on TV or in cinemas it feels weird.

For me it feels weird watching ANYTHING with no subs. Even in my native languages. I find it hard to understand when people are talking outside on a busy road or in night club or something. I miss words. That’s how used I am to subtitles which let you know every single thing that’s been said.

1 Like

There are much more viewers than subbers on Viki, so the chances are great that some will complain. However, maybe there are a lot of viewers on Viki who would also like to volunteer as subber, but they don’t know where to start or they don’t know what to expect, since the subbing progress isn’t transparant at all.

The smart people might find the way to the Project Finder, only to see a bunch of variety shows, show highlights and original content. Those shows aren’t popular at all with most of the more experienced subbers, so for a newbie subber it’s of little use to start working there if she wants to improve. So then she would go to a show she likes and see if subs are needed. But the process of subbing she cannot see at all.

Most of the language moderators will lock the episodes as soon as the team has completed subbing and nowadays most new drama’s are designated channels, which are automaticly locked for anyone not belonging to the team. So new and curious people cannot go into subbing editor anymore to explore and see if it would be somethng for them. Of course, some of them would start subbing right away, because they don’t know any better. That’s why I also think it’s good to lock the episodes, however it does make everything much more ‘mysterious’ for potentially interested new volunteers.

Let’s say a new Vikian who has contirbuted zero subs yet sees an interesting show from 2015. She notices that the subs in her native language aren’t complete yet, but they are working on it. She can tell, because 2 days ago the episode was 28% done and now it’s 69%. She likes to help contributing, but she has no idea how many people are already working in the team. Maybe the moderator is doing everything on her own and can use any help, or maybe there is already a team working hard but they got delayed a little. Maybe the moderator already has 1 or 2 newbies on the team and prefers no new subbers anymore to be able to explain everything properly.

There are only two ways to become a subber: Either get recruited by a language mod or send a message to a mod that you’d like to help subbing in her team. Some mods posts on their profile they are recruiting but you wouldn’t see it unless you visit their profile.

I don’t know for other languages, but for Dutch about 95% of the subbers don’t volunteer but get recruited by a moderator. And if I know that a user is Dutch, but she has zero subs, I’m not gonna ask her to participate in a project, since I don’t know if she is interested in subbing or just wants to be a viewer.

Of course, I know here on Viki discussions is the 'Want to subtitle? Let people know! disuccision where people can say they want to sub. If I were new here, I wouldn’t want to use that discussion, because then I would feel obliged to take any project they offered. Even if I didn’t like it, cause I said I wanted to help, didn’t I? I’d rather pick the show I want to contribute to or have a moderator tell me, ‘I have these 3 shows for you, are you interested in one of these?’

In the list of volunteers every video, you see the users who contributed the most. That is very interesting if you’re one of them, but for the rest of the people it doesn’t matter much. I think it would be much better if there were to be put a list of every (officially added) subber categorized under their respective languages. So, if you would want to see all the French subbers for a show subbed in Arabic, English and French, you’d go to ‘French subbers’ and a list with all the subbers would appear.
This will also give mods of other channels the chance to see if the subbers they want to recruit aren’t already too busy.If such a list would exist, the moderator can easily see whether subber A is already working on two projects or on five, and thus mods can decide to recruit someone who’s only busy with one project now.
Some people just say yes to any project they get offered and because of that their older projects get neglected and might even get abondoned over time.

This became a longer post than I thought and I don’t think I really gave a solution to the problem (is that really possible?), so I’ll do a TL:DR here.

1. I think the step for new Vikians to become subbers will become smaller if the subbing progress is made more transparent. ( I don’t exactly how though)
  2. It would be better if all the subbers of a certain show were listed in the subtitiling team under their respective languages. So that moderators could recruit subbers for their team better.
  1. Maybe, the sentence “Subtitling is in progress by our wonderful volunteers” on the episode pages, and all such sentences about volunteers and subtitles all over the site could be links leading to an explanation of how it happens. Something not very long and detailed, with links to the detailed Help section article in case somebody wants to learn more.
  2. I second that! Seeing all the members of each team.

But wait… all this is “ideas and suggestions”, and we are violating the new rules right now. We’re not allowed to post ideas and suggestions here.

2 Likes

Just to let all you QC’s, segmenters, subbers, etc., know that there are people out here who DO understand what you go through and seriously appreciate it (hopefully, the majority of viewers). It is also very irritating to viewers to try to wade through the comments section to actually find a COMMENT on the drama, when 90% of them are about subs. I wonder if they really, really think that posting those requests and complaints will make you jump faster? You’ve also probably noticed that it has now spread to the Timed Comments, which makes noooo sense at all. I read an article about a month ago about a man who did a study on the younger generations coming up. Because they grew up with advanced technology they not only WANT but EXPECT instant gratification on everything. Sigh…glad I’m older and wiser. Patience helps keep the blood pressure down! From time to time, I have tried to respond to someone who truly does not understand about the various steps involved. Now, I just suggest that they HELP SEGMENT, which would move the subbing a lot faster! I would do it myself, but right now I have a mother with dementia and a stroke victim brother. Watching Kdramas is my source of peace and sanity. Bless you all for your volunteerism.

2 Likes

I really don’t understand that much. If the subtitle progression is postponed for a little bit, maybe 1 hour, 1 days, or 2 days, or a few hours, it’s gonna be okay to be patient to wait. There are tons of things in life to do while waiting for that so no need to complain. You guys are not gonna die for waiting for subtitles.

What is also depressing is when these people give the drama series a low score in the reviews because of the subbing rather than the content of the drama LOL.

4 Likes